ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

*checks notes* Looks like I had it right. You did, in fact, miss the joke. But I do wonder if the numbers show that we are worse, or at least improved at a slower rate, since we hired Hubert.

You think there is a real correlation to Hubert and our shooting being worse or atleast not having a history of improving? I'm not being smart it is an honest question. I am far from the Hubert bandwagon, but do you think they are connected?

This is as some say the coach in waiting!

You think there is a real correlation to Hubert and our shooting being worse or atleast not having a history of improving? I'm not being smart it is an honest question. I am far from the Hubert bandwagon, but do you think they are connected?

This is as some say the coach in waiting!
Honestly, I don't know. I would need to see the numbers. The problem is we were told he was going to help with shooting and it doesn't appear like he has. Football position coaches get fired if their position players don't improve. Should Hubert be fired for not improving shooting? I don't think so since I believe he was unfairly tagged as the shooting guru, but I think it's a legitimate question to ask.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Honestly, I don't know. I would need to see the numbers. The problem is we were told he was going to help with shooting and it doesn't appear like he has. Football position coaches get fired if their position players don't improve. Should Hubert be fired for not improving shooting? I don't think so since I believe he was unfairly tagged as the shooting guru, but I think it's a legitimate question to ask.

Yeah I'm not sure the shooting guru, tag given to him by Roy. That was more of a fan base label, I like him I really do but I'm not sold, and I dread the day he is named head coach at Carolina if he does leave and prove he can be the man!

The logic makes no sense, to hire him none at all!

Reactions: uncfootball-
if we time it right, brad stevens will be out soon...i believe he is growing tired of that league.
Really? I don't keep up with the NBA, so I wouldn't know. I always thought the NBA would be a better gig than college if you're successful. He should definitely be Bubba's first call, but I figured he would pass and stay in the NBA.

Really? I don't keep up with the NBA, so I wouldn't know. I always thought the NBA would be a better gig than college if you're successful. He should definitely be Bubba's first call, but I figured he would pass and stay in the NBA.

Coaching in the NBA has got to be all about the money. No way it can be fun dealing with that crowd every day.

Reactions: Heelicious
Only name I know is Kevin Love so I will take your word for it. Add Grayson Allen, Kyrie Irvin and you would have quite a group.

I'm with you on NBA vs. College. I think with football that's the case also. Why not go to a college and be a living God on that campus for 30 years rather than deal with all that goes with the NBA and job instability.

i’m not even saying this season, but they’re underperforming as an east contender...i think he’s safe this year if they make the playoffs, but if they don’t...

he made a comment last week, something like, someone stole my identity and i had a root canal and those were my best days this week.

I don't get the fascination with Brad Stevens. I mean, I'm sure he's a good coach but I think his legend has grown simply because of the "what if" factor. He won a bunch of games immediately at Butler but he had NBA players on that team he took to the Final Four. And his record is a bit inflated by playing in a weak league. I don't think he ever signed any highly ranked recruits. Hayward was a late bloomer who flew under the radar in high school until very late.

Certainly if he left the NBA and came back, his recruiting credibility would be higher than before. I get that. But I don't know, I just don't get why fans of UK, duke and Carolina are acting like he's the second coming of Wooden.

Coaching in the NBA has got to be all about the money. No way it can be fun dealing with that crowd every day.
Your dealing with the same people in college. Except in college you can add in the players parents, handlers, year round recruiting, making sure kids are going to class, keeping up with NCAA regulations and about 1,000 other things that have nothing to do with coaching basketball.

he made a comment last week, something like, someone stole my identity and i had a root canal and those were my best days this week.
He said that because the Celtics got waxed in their games on the other days that week, not because he was growing tired of coaching them or anything else. Not saying that's not true, just saying what he was referring to in the comment.

Stevens is great at doing more with less. He had some good/great players at Butler, but he didn't have the 2nd best team in the country in 2010 or 2011 - he was able to get them to the championship game with inferior talent. Before Tatum and Brown were stars for him in the NBA, he was having the Celtics punch above their weight class with a league average (at best) team. However in the NBA, talent is all that matters, and you can't scheme your way to the finals if you don't have the stars.

If he were to go back to coach college, his NBA aura would probably help him land top notch recruits. It'd be interesting to see if he could reach these elite recruits in ways that he hasn't really been able to reach bona fide superstars in the NBA. I think there'd be a good chance of it since the college kids are more malleable and not super rich (allegedly).

He said that because the Celtics got waxed in their games on the other days that week, not because he was growing tired of coaching them or anything else. Not saying that's not true, just saying what he was referring to in the comment.

i never stated what his motive was for saying it, just that he said it...roy says corny shit like that also.

Reactions: Heelicious
if we time it right, brad stevens will be out soon...i believe he is growing tired of that league.
I saw Stevens on the sidelines for the Cs last night, and was thinking the same thing. How can we get him to UNC?

Not sure if this makes sense, but I like to think of it as....
in the NBA, you either have the stud athletes to compete, or you don't. Sure there is strategy in running set offenses, etc. - but I think it is harder to overcome and be successful in the NBA if you are a superior strategy guy - with lesser players. Look at all the great teams of the last 30 years in the NBA and it is really the players that stand out more than the coaches (with possibly the exception of San Antonio/ Popovich but still he's always had very good long career players).

In college, I think you can accomplish a lot more, with <= talent compared to opponents, via pure superior strategy and coaching. Stevens accomplished a lot at Butler, and look at what guys like Mark Few accomplish at Gonzaga and Scott Drew at Baylor. They have turned both schools into consistent competitors, and without getting a lot of 5 star OAD uber-talents out of high school.
I'd take any of those 3 over someone "in the family" if the decision were made today. Unless someone could name a UNC alum who is killing it in D1 right now on their own. Maybe Jerod Haase from Stanford, or Wes Miller from UNCG? They have had flashes, but neither seem like slam dunks as proven next hires.

If comparing "get someone in the family" vs. "proven track record of getting most success out of lesser known kids at lesser known schools" - well the comparison seems pretty obvious on which group to choose from. Granted it could be really hard to get people out there to consider UNC. I would like it to be someone who has been head coach elsewhere for a while. I don't think Few is going anywhere. May have a chance with Stevens or Drew or Oats.

Likely Roy is pretty good friends with these guys, and other good candidates from up and coming schools that we don't even know about. I think that it is realistic for Roy and whoever else is deciding on the successor (Bubba C?) to make as a condition of hiring, carrying on the core UNC Family traditions regarding staying in contact with players and families, senior night starters, etc. Even some of the principles and styles to maintain. (Play hard. Play smart. Play together)

We know Roy does a lot of things the same as what DES did, but has done at least as many things his own unique way that worked for him and he developed his own identity and style at Kansas. So - what does -"keeping it in the family" even mean? Even Roy isn't copycatting all that Dean did - and not all that Dean or Roy have done are always 100% foolproof against competitors. So just go for the smartest basketball mind, the best motivator of kids today, who hopefully is decent at recruiting. But it should be easier to recruit kids to UNC - a top 5 all time college bb school and pipeline to TV and NBA contacts galore....than to Butler, Baylor, Gonzaga, UNCG, Stanford.

Last thing - I do just think that the team should choose someone who runs mid- to up-tempo. Meaning no coach from UVA, most of the Big 10 schools, most of the Big East schools. Though Jay Wright would be a great candidate too, if we could lure him away.

Reactions: tarheel0910
...or the prima donna multi million $ spoiled athletes on each team... will they listen to you today? maybe yes - maybe no. For guys like LeBron, he has always had much more authority on a team and with team owners that the head coach did. At least in college the coaches have authority including decisions on who is on the team, and who will play, when.

Not true in the pros, which has to be stressful. You are more of a "partner / advisor" as coach in the NBA. No final authority

So the loser of the dook game sat is prob out of the tourney barring a very deep acc tourney run
I think we are in if we win one of next two.

We have one bad home loss (only loss at home) - against Marquette. We beat Louisville by 45 and a top 10 team in FSU just recently. And no home losses in ACC. We have played fewer home conference games than anyone. We'd have two minimum - up to four more wins in conference if games weren't cancelled. A good chance at two more Quad 1 wins.
Duke has one nice win in conference vs. UVA, but a lot more bad losses too, including to Miami, and a few ACC losses at home. They have lost to the #12, #13, and #16 :oops: team in the conference.

Duke has played almost nobody, and has beaten nobody of note, out of conference. Got lit up by Illinois and a struggling MSU team.

Our non-conference schedule is limited this year, but at least we beat Stanford, UK, and smoked UNLV, which isn't a horrible team. And had a close loss against Texas.

I know I'm not objective, but I think Duke is on much thinner ice than us. They are on the very bottom of the "last four out" list right now - so even if they just split their next two games, I think they will still be out. If we split our next two, I think we will be in.

Something to consider....there are a lot of spotty, sketchy teams this year, and ones interrupted by COVID. Last night, a few teams on the bubble / "last four in", lost. Moving them further on the wrong side of the bubble.

Again, I am biased but I don't think we are as close to being out as it seems, or as the media makes it out to be. People talk as if we and Duke are at the same ranked spot right now but I just don't think that is true. People hype Duke more, but they are are a few slots lower than us.

If we lose our next two, we don't deserve to go anywhere.

Last edited:
i keep staring at the state loss and thinking how desperate now it is to beat duke in a post-season clincher.
Well - Texas, GT, NC St, Syracuse. I know we've pulled out some close games this year, but the team should have won at least two of these four listed, if they gave constant effort and just had a couple fewer turnovers that instead were made shots. Each of these were one or two possession losses, so we're not talking about some massive major turn of events or herculean effort to make the game go the right way. Digging out from double digits down, in a last gasp, last 4 minutes effort is just stupid.

I know their records are similar, but given the rivalry and them being up for us, and I think NCSU actually is better than Syracuse - the Syracuse loss is harder for me to take than the NCSU loss.

Not terribly surprising. Lunardi would have to watch his back if he had them any lower. But I just don’t think the committee can and will consider a team that only has 11 wins and is 1 game above .500.
Agreed. And look at what I posted above. Lots of mediocrity across the board when you get into bubble talk, but what win is Duke hanging its tournament hopes on? UVA? OK but they just lost three in a row. Up to today, UVA is their only legit win, (OK I guess beating Clemson is good also) where maybe Duke wasn't favored, and I've outlined several bad losses for them.

OK - the black version of PITA / endless human headaches:
1) LeBron
2) LeBron
3) LeBron
4) Kyrie
5) Embid
6) Jimmy Butler
7) Harden
8) Draymond Green
9 ) at least one high maintenance guy on virtually every NBA team

I recognize most on that list especially Draymond Green since the Heels beat him twice in 09. I dont remember Jimmy Butler from college but a quick google says Marquette.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT