ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Overall, the Tar Heels have now won six in a row against State in PNC Arena, meaning that three different four-year classes of NCSU students have now waited in long lines for tickets, made signs disparaging Carolina that were shown on the video board during pregame, loudly belted out, "Go to hell Carolina!" during the singing of the State fight song, and never seen their team beat the Tar Heels in their own arena. - Adam Lucas

Through the Ringer

Leaky's gonna be a good one, I wish Roy would let him get 20 min or so just to see how he can get into a flow.

I feel like whenever we needed a big shot last night Luke would hit one. Coby's awesome.

Very good win and rounding into that team that I thought could make a FF.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Nassir doing his best to reinforce the notion that oad’s struggle here and are better off signing elsewhere.

Ya. ESPN had a NBA draft analyst on after the game that put up his mock draft. He still had Nas at #3. Hasn't really shown he deserves that spot from what I've seen.

Fortunately Coby is looking like a star which may help counter some of the Nas criticism.

Nassir doing his best to reinforce the notion that oad’s struggle here and are better off signing elsewhere.

But where would he be doing well?

I loved Nas coming into school but man, he looks really limited. He's just super athletic without much other real skill and he has zero sense/feel for the game at this level.

I agree that it sucks that it's happening here when he was our 1 guy that could have turned the narrative but this would be happening anywhere with him so far.

Leaky's gonna be a good one, I wish Roy would let him get 20 min or so just to see how he can get into a flow.

I feel like whenever we needed a big shot last night Luke would hit one. Coby's awesome.

Very good win and rounding into that team that I thought could make a FF.

Leaky’s defense is gonna get him more minutes. I hate it for 7th but his minutes are fading fast.

Last edited:
Was glancing at some UNC-State series history this morning, at least since Roy has been back, thought I'd share some of my findings.

This was the first time since Feb. 06 that both teams were ranked at the time of the meeting.

In the last 20 matchups of this series (2010 to now), we have gone 17-3 with an average score of 81.1 PPG to their 70.6

Over the last 5 games in the series, we have scored at least 90 points in each of them (with an average of 96.2 PPG). In Roy's UNC tenure prior to the last 5 games, we had broken 90 in 4 out of the other 28 games against State and none of those others came consecutively, so this run over the past 2.5 years is pretty special, even by Roy's standards against State.

With that said, in the 3 games since Keatts took over at State, they have hit at least 80 each game, and averaged 88.7 against us (we averaged 92.3 in those games). Since 04, State only had 5 games with at least 80 against us prior to Keatts, with none of those games coming consecutively.

So while there is no question Roy has been dominant against State, Keatts has certainly been up to the challenge thus far, at least as much as any coach at State has. So all this is to say, if it's not back to a full-blown rivalry, it's the closest it's been to one in quite some time.

Next year Nas will be a beast for us. Just be patient.
images

Reactions: tarheel0910
With that said, in the 3 games since Keatts took over at State, they have hit at least 80 each game, and averaged 88.7 against us (we averaged 92.3 in those games). Since 04, State only had 5 games with at least 80 against us prior to Keatts, with none of those games coming consecutively.
Keatts encourages a faster pace of play like Roy. We held them under 1 point per possession on Tuesday night. I'd love to see that comparison over the last 20 years.

Reactions: heelz2345
Keatts encourages a faster pace of play like Roy. We held them under 1 point per possession on Tuesday night. I'd love to see that comparison over the last 20 years.
I didn't go back a full 20 years, but looked at it from the 2016 season to now (so Gott's last 2 years through Keatts first 1.5 years), this is State's PPP performances against us

2016 game 1: 55 points on 60.4 possessions-.91 PPP
2016 game 2: 68 points on 65.48 possessions-1.04 PPP
2017 game 1: 56 points on 83.84 possessions-.67 PPP
2017 game 2: 73 points on 70.56 possessions-1.03 PPP
2018 game 1: 95 points on 79.92 possessions-1.19 PPP
2018 game 2: 89 points on 76.36 possessions-1.17 PPP
2019 game 1: 82 points on 83.48 possessions-.98 PPP

So in Gott's last two years, State scored 252 points on 280.28 possessions for an average of .9 PPP. In Keatts first year and a half, they have scored 266 points on 239.76 possessions for an average of 1.11 PPP. It also doesn't seem a coincidence that the highest PPP for a single game is the only one we lost in that window.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I didn't go back a full 20 years, but looked at it from the 2016 season to now (so Gott's last 2 years through Keatts first 1.5 years), this is State's PPP performances against us

2016 game 1: 55 points on 60.4 possessions-.91 PPP
2016 game 2: 68 points on 65.48 possessions-1.04 PPP
2017 game 1: 56 points on 83.84 possessions-.67 PPP
2017 game 2: 73 points on 70.56 possessions-1.03 PPP
2018 game 1: 95 points on 79.92 possessions-1.19 PPP
2018 game 2: 89 points on 76.36 possessions-1.17 PPP
2019 game 1: 82 points on 83.48 possessions-.98 PPP

So in Gott's last two years, State scored 252 points on 280.28 possessions for an average of .9 PPP. In Keatts first year and a half, they have scored 266 points on 239.76 possessions for an average of 1.11 PPP. It also doesn't seem a coincidence that the highest PPP for a single game is the only one we lost in that window.
Good stuff. I guess there are resources for researching these kinds of stats but I've never bothered to look for them. Certainly provides objective support for Keatts' teams being more efficient on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT