ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Freaking uva lost by 30 to their hated rival. Great. Now they’ll be running around like their hairs on fire against us. I’m about to the point I want to beat them as much as $tate

Reactions: strummingram
Freaking uva lost by 30 to their hated rival. Great. Now they’ll be running around like their hairs on fire against us. I’m about to the point I want to beat them as much as $tate
Are they a heated rival? I've always got the impression that in both football and basketball they are more of a forced rival because they are both in the same state. Kind of like us and WF. Maybe it just comes off that way because they have never been good at the same time.

Are they a heated rival? I've always got the impression that in both football and basketball they are more of a forced rival because they are both in the same state. Kind of like us and WF. Maybe it just comes off that way because they have never been good at the same time.
In a bizarre coincidence I’m surrounded by uva fans at work and in my friend circle. They would rather beat us than anyone in bball but tech is second. In fb it’s pure hate out of being tech’s door mat for so
Long.

In a bizarre coincidence I’m surrounded by uva fans at work and in my friend circle. They would rather beat us than anyone in bball but tech is second. In fb it’s pure hate out of being tech’s door mat for so
Long.
I don't know many UVA fans, so admittedly my knowledge is limited. It just doesn't come across as one of those bitter rivalries from the outside. At least to me.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Long.
I've got a couple of friends from VPI that would echo the idea of wanting us in bball is paramount and beating Va when they can is great, but they absolutely cannot ever lose to them in fb. If they lose to them in bball, they simply have the attitude of it's only bball, wait til the Fall. Beating Carolina in bball though? Well, it's Carolina. To me, this game depends on our guys and their effort. Cavs will simply be the victim or the benefactor.

Last edited:

Oh gosh no. They’re rivals for sure. In football, since VT has fallen out of the national picture, it’s become even more of a rivalry because that’s all they have.

As for basketball, VT knows they’re the little brother and wants nothing more than to beat UVa. Again, because typically, they don’t have much else to play for.

Oh gosh no. They’re rivals for sure. In football, since VT has fallen out of the national picture, it’s become even more of a rivalry because that’s all they have.

As for basketball, VT knows they’re the little brother and wants nothing more than to beat UVa. Again, because typically, they don’t have much else to play for.
Given your address, you would certainly have a better grasp on it than most. Like I admitted earlier, I'm just basing it on what I can see from Raleigh and the few UVA fans that I've known. I'd certainly trust your experience on it more than mine.

I would feel the same if i weren’t so blessed to have so many fans in my life
7382d3a9da1ae7d4bac7a2ee4d7d50fd.gif

• Haha
Given your address, you would certainly have a better grasp on it than most. Like I admitted earlier, I'm just basing it on what I can see from Raleigh and the few UVA fans that I've known. I'd certainly trust your experience on it more than mine.

Not just my address but my family. My dad is a UVa grad and my sister a VT grad. But I do live 65 miles from C-ville and 90 miles from Blacksburg. Have spent a lot of time in each. Have had close friends who have played in this rivalry at both schools. It’s real, even if underwhelming.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Not just my address but my family. My dad is a UVa grad and my sister a VT grad. But I do live 65 miles from C-ville and 90 miles from Blacksburg. Have spent a lot of time in each. Have had close friends who have played in this rivalry at both schools. It’s real, even if underwhelming.
I feel like that last sentence is a perfect way to describe the UNC/moo rivalry and what it probably looks like to someone in @Hark_The_Sound_2010's area.

JFC i knew it was bad but not this bad….

We haven’t won at uva since ‘12. (8 games) That’s the longest L steak ever for unc vs anyone at their place

In our last five games there we broke 50 ONCE (58)

Thats a freaking embarrassment there

dook loses two ways...the game and Filipowski. Don't expect me to feel bad that he was hurt in the court rush. You'll have a hard time convincing me that he didn't get hurt trying to trip a WF fan. They showed it in slo-mo and I slo-mo'ed that.

dook loses two ways...the game and Filipowski. Don't expect me to feel bad that he was hurt in the court rush. You'll have a hard time convincing me that he didn't get hurt trying to trip a WF fan. They showed it in slo-mo and I slo-mo'ed that.
court storming is ridiculous…i saw him try to defend himself with a forearm…that’s all the defending i can do for that bunch.

having said that, it pissses me off that jalen washington doesn’t play stronger than he does.

court storming is ridiculous…i saw him try to defend himself with a forearm…that’s all the defending i can do for that bunch.

having said that, it pissses me off that jalen washington doesn’t play stronger than he does.
like I said...

At regular speed it looks like he was fending off that stormer with his arm, but when you slow down the close-in look, he fairly clearly also sticks his leg out into the path of that fan. I am sure that he was going out of his way to throw a bit of a spiteful block on him and it backfired. Then he apparently had the nerve to say he was sure it was personal. I saw no indication that that fan was trying to make contact with powski.

like I said...

At regular speed it looks like he was fending off that stormer with his arm, but when you slow down the close-in look, he fairly clearly also sticks his leg out into the path of that fan. I am sure that he was going out of his way to throw a bit of a spiteful block on him and it backfired. Then he apparently had the nerve to say he was sure it was personal. I saw no indication that that fan was trying to make contact with powski.
lol oh stop, he’s not trying to trip anyone.

it was an incredibly chaotic moment for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
It’s pretty clear that the Wake fan is talking shit but it it’s also pretty clear he’s going to avoid contact with Flip until Flip sticks both his leg and both arms out to initiate the contact. I don’t have a problem with it. I’m of the belief that if you storm the court, you get what you get. Flip and other players are just trying to protect themselves and get off the floor.

However, don’t whine like a bitch about it after you try to trip someone and get hurt in the process (if he’s really hurt). If he plays in the next game, then the whole injury thing was made up in an effort to have the national media talking about something other than their loss. Thats duke. Fu*kin losers.

Also, was awesome to see Scheyerface come out when it all was going down. lol.

I've come to hate Virginia almost as much as I hate Duke. It feels really fukking good to beat them on their turf. Had no clue it had been over a decade since we last beat them at their house.
i never really pay attention to bennett in any game, but my god he whines a lot…officiating magnifies those moments, but most guys know that going in…he seemed surprised nothing was going his way, very rick pitino-like.

exactly. Because who are you going to blame for your cancer? Wake Forest fans? Slavery maybe.
The hosting school/venue just needs to have proper, reliable procedures and staff to get the opposing team protected and off the court before you let the fans swarm the court. It's really simple.

The hosting school/venue just needs to have proper, reliable procedures and staff to get the opposing team protected and off the court before you let the fans swarm the court. It's really simple.
i don’t think it’s simple and that’s the problem…first, the security needs an upgrade(takes payment), then it takes planning(which you never know)…some gyms have no wall at all, just go get you some player.

just ban it like in other conferences or get hefty fines…it’s up to $500,000 in the sec…i believe it starts at $100,000 In some leagues.

i don’t think it’s simple and that’s the problem…first, the security needs an upgrade(takes payment), then it takes planning(which you never know)…some gyms have no wall at all, just go get you some player.

just ban it like in other conferences or get hefty fines…it’s up to $500,000 in the sec…i believe it starts at $100,000 In some leagues.
I think it's simple enough. Upgrade security... whatever. Just wait until the other team leaves. Letting people celebrate with court storming is a cherished part of college athletics. Filipowski is "compromised", and plays it up like someone buried buckshot in his leg... and the sports world has a cow. If they ban it, then it's poetic justice that it's the dookies that ruin another tradition. It's not like people are winding up in the ER. I see both sides, but I like seeing people celebrating like that. No one is intentionally trying to hurt anyone.

did anyone say otherwise? But the opposing team also needs to participate in getting their players protected and off the court and instructed not to engage physically with anyone in the process. Just as simple.

So, I must say that I get the idea of banning it in general from a safety standpoint for all involved and league imposed fines are likely the answer (so, the ACC should be about $750 I suppose). But, I just don't get the big deal and why this is even an issue other than ESPN and their lingering obsession with all things K related. Has there been a big spat of actual injuries or something of which I am unaware?

Flip is a fantastic player. To be that big, move like he does and shoot that well is truly something. But, he caused the actual impact. First, what I haven't seen anyone mention is that all he had to do was pause a split second and the fan would have run by, but he acts like the yellow sea should part for him and on top of it he sticks out both his arms and leg to basically drill the guy like one of his normal moving picks. He claims to be injured from it. Why do I have my doubts? The second incident was Caitlin Clark. If you watch that video, the reason for her getting run into was the idiot fan was running aimlessly along taking a selfie video of herself just running in a general direction. In other words, the problem was filming herself and paying no attention whatsoever to where she was going. Caitlyn was an obstruction. This phenomenon is a phone/social media issue, not a court storming problem. I can't recall if she was really hurt as she played and set the scoring record shortly after that.

Thus, I may be missing something, but it seems like this is overblown due to dook. Maybe that's due to existing rules keeping it to a minimum. Just don't know.

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
ingram is a fun watch…the dude exudes what college basketball and effort is about…just an all-around good player…very fortunate to have him on this squad.

and the new jordans some have on are interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: pooponduke
I know Flipkowski is trending globally but, regarding Carolina Basketball,
last night at DES vs Miami

THE BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL
⛹🏾‍♂️ R FREAKIN’ J DAVIS SCORED:

🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀
🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀

and we needed every single one of them, including his five
rebounds and four steals to escape with a victory.
His four straight second half heat checks are already legendary. 😲🤭😁😎

I know Flipkowski is trending globally but, regarding Carolina Basketball,
last night at DES vs Miami

THE BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL
⛹🏾‍♂️ R FREAKIN’ J DAVIS SCORED:

🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀
🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀

and we needed every single one of them, including his five
rebounds and four steals to escape with a victory.
His four straight second half heat checks are already legendary. 😲🤭😁😎
Those guys need to shoot a thousand free throws a day for the next four days.

Reactions: bluetoe
Not much to be happy about regarding last night's game. It was embarrassing how we did our best to choke that game away. Bad decisions and rotten FT shooting killed us. Should have won that game by 12-15 points and it not ever been in question. I just can't get over how bad we are when we try to take the air out of the ball and do that awful stall ball shit. We've proven to be very bad at that. So just play our regular tempo until the horn sounds.

RJ was amazing. He's really good. Should have wrapped up ACC POY with that performance barring going o-fer for the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT