ADVERTISEMENT

Sciencey Stuff

Fyi dinosaurs were on the planet so long that there were dinosaur fossils present while dinosaurs still roamed the earth
that might be the coolest thing I've seen you post. As much as I've been into the dinosaur/fossil thing, I don't remember that ever being pointed out.

It took an outside player to fvck up the planet and end the dinosaur's long reign. We're doing it as an inside job in a tiny fraction of the time, because we're so much smarter than them..

Sorry. Soapbox time over.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
MS might be history.

Epstein-Barr virus is in like 90+ % of all americans, and it hasn't been a big deal since until recently it is only correlated with a few cases of Mono, and a small portion of of Cancers. Well now scientists have found it to be a massive driver behind Multiple Sclerosis.

For decades there have been suspicions that MS was tied to impact from some virus.... anyway, big pharma will probably have a vaccine for Epstein-Barr soon, eradicating MS.

(lost my link)

Reactions: bluetoe
MS might be history.

Epstein-Barr virus is in like 90+ % of all americans, and it hasn't been a big deal since until recently it is only correlated with a few cases of Mono, and a small portion of of Cancers. Well now scientists have found it to be a massive driver behind Multiple Sclerosis.

For decades there have been suspicions that MS was tied to impact from some virus.... anyway, big pharma will probably have a vaccine for Epstein-Barr soon, eradicating MS.

(lost my link)
this is awesome news. MS is a terrible thing. I hope this leads to not just an eradication, but for relief for existing sufferers.

And of course, everybody will be more than happy to get vaccinated when a vaccine is developed. Har.

Now here's the real soapbox. Stop whining about Pharmaceutical companies raking in huge profits, and be goddam grateful that the profit motive leads us (in some cases, at least) to better living.

MS might be history.

(lost my link)
please try to find that link and post it. Thanks.

thanks! If I ever find myself in charge of everything, I will absolutely unleash science. Science is the answer to virtually all of our problems, and it's on the verge of burgeoning almost exponentially . The one it won't fix is our reluctance to completely support science.

Reactions: blazers
thanks! If I ever find myself in charge of everything, I will absolutely unleash science. Science is the answer to virtually all of our problems, and it's on the verge of burgeoning almost exponentially . The one it won't fix is our reluctance to completely support science.
Follow the science.......

This will be awesome if it pans out. There are other conditions that they have theorized for years were the result of some unidentified virus that triggers the condition. Even Type I (not the pandemic of Type II) diabetes is thought to have a viral correlation. Exciting stuff. Thanks.

Reactions: blazers
They mention Alzheimers in there... it would be crazy if they pinned that to a particular virus too.

MS might be history.

(lost my link)
Read the link, fascinating stuff. The more we learn, the more we realize we don’t know. We’ve made incredible advances in treating cancer. We’ll eventually discover effective treatments for MS and Alzheimer’s as well if we don’t destroy ourselves first.

Follow the science.......
Except government funding of science is one of science's biggest downfalls, as Ike warned us could become the case.

When you have political people, agency people and entrenched bureacrats who are also well-connected to entrenched corporate interests, the so-called "science" is often predetermined. If you want the grant money, you better come up with "science" that says what we want.

Now, maybe not all areas of science but if there are political interests and big money involved, then yeah government financing will corrupt it, and you then see absurdities like a single man, a powerful government bureaucrat, declaring he is science.

Read the link, fascinating stuff. The more we learn, the more we realize we don’t know. We’ve made incredible advances in treating cancer. We’ll eventually discover effective treatments for MS and Alzheimer’s as well if we don’t destroy ourselves first.
Amen. I've seen people commenting about science in boards similar to this, declaring that we are on the verge of knowing everything. I have to laugh out loud because they have no clue. The more we know, the more we find there is to know. Things that we have taken to be complete basic understandings are suddenly shown to be off-target or just plain fools gold.

And they don't understand that it isn't the presumed knowledge that's important anyway, it's the quest for knowledge and understanding that propels us forward, mostly. But even when it spins us around the wrong way, we benefit,

There was a senator from I think Wisconsin named William Proxmire who used to ridicule science projects and he gave out what he called 'fleece' awards for grants given to ridiculous projects. But there really is no such thing as a ridiculous project when it comes to science. There is only ridiculous prioritization.

I preached for years that we should get off the petro-tit, and I have predicted that in spite of all the resistance to electric vehicles, that once we got a good taste of them that there would be a cascade effect of acceptance. We are starting to see that. The other thing I have whined that we should prioritize over an idiotically prioritized trip to Mars, for example, is the large scale non-petroleum based desalination of sea water. It drives me nuts. When you bring it up all you hear about are the problems inherent. But we have shown time and again that when we make it a goal to achieve something, we achieve it. You just have to put it in a sexy dress first, I guess, to make us want it.. Or become desperate for it.

Amen. I've seen people commenting about science in boards similar to this, declaring that we are on the verge of knowing everything. I have to laugh out loud because they have no clue. The more we know, the more we find there is to know. Things that we have taken to be complete basic understandings are suddenly shown to be off-target or just plain fools gold.

And they don't understand that it isn't the presumed knowledge that's important anyway, it's the quest for knowledge and understanding that propels us forward, mostly. But even when it spins us around the wrong way, we benefit,

There was a senator from I think Wisconsin named William Proxmire who used to ridicule science projects and he gave out what he called 'fleece' awards for grants given to ridiculous projects. But there really is no such thing as a ridiculous project when it comes to science. There is only ridiculous prioritization.

I preached for years that we should get off the petro-tit, and I have predicted that in spite of all the resistance to electric vehicles, that once we got a good taste of them that there would be a cascade effect of acceptance. We are starting to see that. The other thing I have whined that we should prioritize over an idiotically prioritized trip to Mars, for example, is the large scale non-petroleum based desalination of sea water. It drives me nuts. When you bring it up all you hear about are the problems inherent. But we have shown time and again that when we make it a goal to achieve something, we achieve it. You just have to put it in a sexy dress first, I guess, to make us want it.. Or become desperate for it.
Have you seen what has happened to the price of lithium since 2020?

"potato moon"

220421114948-perseverance-rover-martian-eclipse-exlarge-169.jpg

Reactions: tarheel0910
the first time I heard this stated, I could not believe it. I am still astounded by it.

If you shuffle a deck of cards, the order they end up in has never existed before because 52 factored is such an unimaginably large number.

Reactions: Archer2
can't wait to see this on an 83 megapixel display. Who's got one?
That would make an interesting Imax movie. "Into the Sun."

It's just hard to grasp the scale of things when a million earths could fit into our sun it is only an average size star with some starts being 2,000 times larger.

That would make an interesting Imax movie. "Into the Sun."

It's just hard to grasp the scale of things when a million earths could fit into our sun it is only an average size star with some starts being 2,000 times larger.
awesome idea!

One of the coolest things I've seen is an exhibit at the Museum of Natural History in New York City. They have an exhibit where you go from one station to the next, starting out with the unimaginably small and ending up in stairstep fashion with the unimaginably huge. This wraps around a scaled model of the sun (the model of the sun is fairly humongous) and the planets, and for the first time I got a real sense of just how big the sun is compared to Earth. Pictures don't really do the trick. TBH, we are a little bigger (or the sun is a little smaller) in comparison than I had thought.

The thing that really blows me away though is the scale you can find on youtube showing stars progressively bigger than the sun. The sun is just a midget, a speck of dust compared to a few of these monsters.

And if the sun is a speck, it would be helpful if we realized how tiny our little pebble is. When one really understands that, he can appreciate how easily it can be fvcked up by US.

awesome idea

And if the sun is a speck, it would be helpful if we realized how tiny our little pebble is. When one really understands that, he can appreciate how easily it can be fvcked up by US.
Like Carlin said, humans could disappear from earth tomorrow and in a few years there would be no signs we were ever here. Earth will be fine, now humans, that’s a different story.

Like Carlin said, humans could disappear from earth tomorrow and in a few years there would be no signs we were ever here. Earth will be fine, now humans, that’s a different story.
yeah, well, Carlin should probably think more about Earth WITH humans on it. That's the only scenario that matters to me; it makes no sense to be concerned about Earth without humans any more than it makes to be concerned about Jupiter without humans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT