ADVERTISEMENT

Who Is Your Favorite UNC Basketball Player of All Time?

Incredibly difficult to answer this question since so many are favorites for one reason or another. I'll break my answer down into eras.

From 2000 on, Joel Berry.

From the 80s and 90s, Antawn Jamison (will never forget the first game I saw him play...apologies to MJ, Worthy and others)

70s on back, Bobby Jones (loved Ford, Walter Davis and Charlie Scott as well). I'll always wonder how good Jones might have been without his health issues. Dean Smith's influence was stamped all over him.

Ty Lawson 100% unstoppable when he wanted to score you could not stop him. Then in his last year when his 3 point shot developed it was even better.

I loved McCants game he was just a head case.

Justin Jackson was an also a favorite of mine!

My 1st as a really little fella was Jimmy Black. Not my favorite watching since, but you always remember your first. 😆
I remember Jimmy Black as a freshman and sophomore, coming off the bench, pushing the ball up the court and taking everyone else with him. He was the the guy that held the team together his last 2 years.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Zeller.

When Barnes, Marshall, Henson and Zeller left, I thought the guy we might miss most was Zeller. Still think that.

Zeller doesn't move ahead of the other guys I mentioned, but he belongs in the conversation after Ford and Hansbrough.
We need to cash in on some more of those Indiana high school bigs. Between Montross, May, and Zeller they helped to hang up a good percentage of those National Champion banners in the Dean Dome.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Butter, Berry and Jamison. I wish we could have seen him for four years but I’m convinced if he didn’t get taken out by Creighton we would have another banner.

Not who is best - although I'm sure that will be a factor for most of us - but who is your favorite, based on whatever factors you choose (and I hope you will share those reasons).

[I stole this idea from @Morrison71 on the Rivals Iowa Off Topic board - just to give credit where credit is due.]

This won't be easy. Two who leap to mind immediately are Phil Ford and Tyler Hansbrough. Yes, ahead of Michael. James Worthy and Sam Perkins were big favorites in their time, too. Ditto Billy Cunningham, Bobby Lewis and Larry Miller.

Yeah, I'm old.

I'm sure you guys will remind me of some who aren't popping to mind.

I'll go no further than Mike.

Phil Ford ---not even close

Honorable mention: GOAT, Donald Williams, Al Wood

Love the guys that could shoot the rock.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
We are very fortunate to have so many. My first is Billy Cunningham—he got me hooked on Carolina. For pure enjoyment, and a name that hasn’t popped up, THEO!

Phil Ford ---not even close

Honorable mention: GOAT, Donald Williams, Al Wood

Love the guys that could shoot the rock.
Reason why I loved Phil as a player (well one of them but a really big one) I will explain by offering a scenario:

There is 5mins left in the game, it has been a really close affair, we have the ball and a 1pt lead, as Phil crosses half court he holds up 4 fingers. Folks, with that, you could "go where you go and do what you do" because that game was over! The thought that we could still lose just never came in to my mind because Phil was the perfect guy to execute the 4 corners. No shot clock, no treys, you foul Phil and he hit his free throws, don't foul him and he would dribble out the last 5mins, you were not going to steal it from him and he wasn't going to make a bad decision with the ball, it was game over and another Tar Heel win.

Jawad Williams

Your favorite player? I gotta say, that's an odd choice. Maybe not odd, but certainly random. I bet if I surveyed 1000 Carolina basketball fans, you'd be the only one to mention Jawad Williams as a favorite player.

Or am I in the "most improved" thread?

Your favorite player? I gotta say, that's an odd choice. Maybe not odd, but certainly random. I bet if I surveyed 1000 Carolina basketball fans, you'd be the only one to mention Jawad Williams as a favorite player.

Or am I in the "most improved" thread?
Yeah, my favorite. He went from being on one of the worst UNC teams to one of the best. Very underrated four year guy that became a leader on a great national title team. When it comes to favorite players, mine are usually the more underrated or lesser known. Your Jawad Williams, Reyshawn Terry, Kenny Williams, etc type players.

Reactions: gobblercalls
Yeah, my favorite. He went from being on one of the worst UNC teams to one of the best. Very underrated four year guy that became a leader on a great national title team. When it comes to favorite players, mine are usually the more underrated or lesser known. Your Jawad Williams, Reyshawn Terry, Kenny Williams, etc type players.

He was a knucklehead early on (as was Reyshawn Terry). But I do appreciate the strides he made and the leadership (and quality play) he exhibited during his senior year. I don't think we win without him. And most of all, he's a died in the wool Tar Heel. He's always championing everything our program does and comments on social media stuff regarding former and current players. So I do love him for that.

Just thought is was an interesting choice.

My 1st as a really little fella was Jimmy Black. Not my favorite watching since, but you always remember your first. 😆
I could probably go find a Youtube video for the answer, but didn't Jimmy Black shoot it kind of off his shoulder? I seem to remember trying to emulate his shot as a kid without much success.

Only including players from when I started following UNC (Phil Ford, unfortunately, predates me by a couple years.)

First Favorite: Dave Colescott -- He was point guard when I started really following the Heels and I played point guard in my rec league.

Favorite to watch: Vince Carter

Overall(s), taking personality, game, and everything into account:
Perkins, Lynch, & Maye

In the 40+ years I've followed UNC, I could probably count the players I didn't care for on one hand.

!. Bobby Lewis, the reason im a dye hard Tar Hell hoops fan. 2. Charlie Scott, Psycho T, George Karl, Antwan Jamison

Phil Ford for all the reasons everyone has already stated. Other favs include Larry Miller, Bobby Jones, James Worthy, Theo Pinson, and Coby White.
Not many O&Ds on anyone's list but I still include Coby. The loss of his dad and the relationship he had (has) with coach and his teammates really endeared the kid to me.
Current contenders include Davis, Ant, and Walker K.

Last edited:
Sir Charles Scott
Then Sweet D
Then Phirhen Bobbie jones / Worthy
Then
Stack
Lynch
The Jett

In order:
Marcus Paige
Antawn Jamison
Donald Williams
Wayne Ellington
Jawad Williams

I can't supplant an individual that you feel was favored by DES. However, I will disagree with your choice(s) only in this regard...., Phil was his favorite, hands down and all former players knew this. After all, he had him on the bench with him for a lot of years. And Phil had opportunities to become a head coach, but would not take any offers, as he felt perfectly at home and was comfortable on the UNC bench with coach Smith.

Regardless of Phil's issues with alcohol, he was the very best teacher
for PG's and SG's that we have had in our storied history. Coach Smith treated Phil just as a father would, and, at times, had Phil on a short leash to help him fight his demon and win the fight of his life.

As for Charles, I don't think that he and coach Smith had an extremely close relationship, but Charles was not treated equally by the Status Quo ( ie: press, sports writers, officials, student body, and even 1 or so teammates ).

Coach Smith became his champion by speaking out publicly and often about one standard for the white athlete and one or no standards for the black athlete. It took several years of crusading on Charles' behalf before he got a somewhat equal footing among his peers and the others associated with the League and, if you remember, he was overlooked his junior year, I believe, as not only the POY in the ACC, but also the MVP of the ACCT. There were definitely other players that Coach was a little more fond of.
AACT MVP for 68 was addressed in Larry Miller's book. Miller Time

My favorite was Rick Fox - modeled my game after his point forward abilities before that was really a thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT