ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Yeah I think allowing that many rebounds was a fluke. When we play tougher competition that'll tighten up. I liked a lot of what I saw. I see no indications that this team will be like the 2009-10 squad, despite what some dukies think. As already mentioned, Bradley seems to already have an intensity to his game that will prove infinitely useful if Meeks or Hicks get into foul trouble.

Also still not sold on Maye. He'll get more minutes, and more opportunities to showcase his skills, but I'm still on wait and see mode with him.

Yeah I think allowing that many rebounds was a fluke. When we play tougher competition that'll tighten up. I liked a lot of what I saw. I see no indications that this team will be like the 2009-10 squad, despite what some dukies think. As already mentioned, Bradley seems to already have an intensity to his game that will prove infinitely useful if Meeks or Hicks get into foul trouble.

Also still not sold on Maye. He'll get more minutes, and more opportunities to showcase his skills, but I'm still on wait and see mode with him.
Most of us acknowledge that you guys are going to be really good this year. I think a few people are so caught up with how good they think Duke will be this year that they think of UNC as an afterthought... Which would be a mistake. Btw Bolden is hurt now too... Just raining injuries in Durham right now.

Most of us acknowledge that you guys are going to be really good this year. I think a few people are so caught up with how good they think Duke will be this year that they think of UNC as an afterthought... Which would be a mistake. Btw Bolden is hurt now too... Just raining injuries in Durham right now.

Injuries suck . . . ! ~ Tyler Hansbrough

Yeah there's a few on DI of that mindset but not too many.

And damn when did that happen? How serious is it?

giphy.gif

I'm not but so worried about it. I didn't get to watch the game live (only highlights), but I'm guessing they missed a lot of shots. And I'm guessing they missed some so badly that rebounds came off the rim hard and at odd angles. You know you've seen that - we get in the right positions to get rebounds but because the shots were so terrible, they end up bouncing off the rim and into areas where we aren't. Maybe that doesn't explain giving up 30+ offensive rebounds but that might be part of the explanation.

We won't rebound as well as we did last year. That's a forgone conclusion. Brice was a monster on the glass. But we can be a better defensive team and I'd venture a guess that teams won't get as many shots against us this year as they did last year.
UNCP got a ton of rebounds right under the basket. I think they got about 8 in one possession and my son finally said "grab the damn ball". Luke Maye is going to be solid a lot of teams have that guy who is just so fundamentally sound that he can over come not being as athletic as the elites. Luke's dad was a heck of a QB for UNC and over came injuries to get there.

So we had to resort to going after a 4 star big ranked in the 100's to fill a desperate need in the 17 class.

And we lost him to miss state

He was an assistant at MSU previously before he left to become the HC at Meridian College. Ben Howland rehired him last year. Coincidence? I'll let you decide. I think not.
I'm sure it's not a coincidence. I've never been a fan of how some schools hire relatives to try to get an advantage in recruiting that player. I would like to see some kind of restriction on it. Something like you can't be on the bench three years before the player commits up until three years after he leaves. I think that would all but stop it from happening.

Reactions: Archer2
I am just not bothered by losing Brooks. Tilmon could possibly looking around with an open mind.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence. I've never been a fan of how some schools hire relatives to try to get an advantage in recruiting that player. I would like to see some kind of restriction on it. Something like you can't be on the bench three years before the player commits up until three years after he leaves. I think that would all but stop it from happening.
It is annoying , but please no more regulations to enforce.

You're the second person to hint at this. Any evidence of this or is it just rumor? IOW, has he or his family stated this?
He doesn't plan on signing with the Illini during the early period. Apparently going to St. Louis with AAU coach.

Isn't the goal to see how they finish the season not who we have? Roy has been pretty dern good at that since he took over.

Definitely where they end the season is infinitely more important than the recruiting rankings. I just believe that the recruiting rankings have pretty good predictive power as to how the end of the season will end up.

Although if this election has taught us anything - it's that the ratings polls may not be as accurate as they're portrayed.... ;)

Obviously brooks isnt a diff maker. We'll prob never evwr hear his name again. But its the fact that he was an afterthought to fill a hole left by being turned down by so many others and then he turns us down as well. Its an indicator of where we are recruiting wise. And its not good. I dont blame coach ftmp. Most of the factors are out of his control. It just sucks that we're at this point. I've been keeping the sunny side up until now. After this season we will be in serious serious trouble talent wise with big men. Theres no sugar coating that.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Obviously brooks isnt a diff maker. We'll prob never evwr hear his name again. But its the fact that he was an afterthought to fill a hole left by being turned down by so many others and then he turns us down as well. Its an indicator of where we are recruiting wise. And its not good. I dont blame coach ftmp. Most of the factors are out of his control. It just sucks that we're at this point. I've been keeping the sunny side up until now. After this season we will be in serious serious trouble talent wise with big men. Theres no sugar coating that.
I'm just not really sure why we were still recruiting him. We already had commits from 2 similarly rated big men. I rather save the scholly for the late signing period or either 2018.

Thoughts on the game? Justin Jackson was a beast tonight. If he can play like that consistently it'll help his stock and increase our chances with Knox.

Jackson, Berry, and Hicks were great. Meeks was not (though his 15 rebounds were awesome). I thought Williams looked fine. All the freshman did well and Bradley is legit. Rebounding and defense is a problem. Jackson was great but was bad on defense. Team D in general wasn't good. Britt didn't shoot well but had 5 assists. Honestly, shooting is the last thing I worry about with him. He tries too hard to push Roy's tempo IMO. He is quick up the court but then stalls once he gets there.

Defense and rebounding were pretty bad. That's going to have to get a lot better if we want to win games in March. Offense was solid. Jackson looked more confident and JB looks like he's going to be as good as advertised. It was nice to see the 3 ball fall for us.

I know we won't be quite as strong on the boards this year without Brice, but we shouldn't expect that much of a drop off. Meeks, Hicks and Bradley should be more than enough to fill that gap.

I would have liked to see a little more scoring from Maye , Wiiliams , Robinson , Britt and Woods. Meeks rebounded the ball like a beast , but just had no touch shooting the ball.

I went over to Raider looking for the bitch, complain, moan and groan game thread and there was none.

IDUNK gor Premi a while back so I guess no one has taken his place in starting them.

I went over to Raider looking for the bitch, complain, moan and groan game thread and there was none.

IDUNK gor Premi a while back so I guess no one has taken his place in starting them.
Looks like you are going to have to step up.

Looks like you are going to have to step up.

I'm too old . . too fat . . too dwunk, I'll use this thread.

This team has a lot of spunk to it. Bradley is better than Meeks, Williams is better than Britt.
We were 19-40 from 3Land including the exhibition and today we are 6 of 13, so far. Ya gotta love those numbers . .
At times we've had 2 sophs and our 3 frosh on the court at the same time and they look good playing together, Roy getting our youngsters some good playing time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT