ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

I was excited when Doherty was hired....

Everybody assuming that other coaches would just get hired and come here, they forgot after Gut retired what transpired.

lol dude you gotta relax. You're screaming to the hills on every forum on here, I'm worried about your blood pressure.

Let's see if he can prove us wrong. He needs to start by keeping our important guys for next season and getting active in the portal and 2021 decommits. If we don't see that starting this week then we can start to get on him.
We'll be able to tell quickly if it's going to work by how much Black-Unity plays. If he comes out getting 30 minutes a game, then we'll know it's not going to work.

They already knew on Friday. They needed to go through the motions and give the appearance of "consulting" with other candidates.
They waited until a few hours before the national championship game to announce it because they know it's a garbage hire and were hoping to bury it in the news cycle that will be focused on the game tonight.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Davis is literally "family." I just found out yesterday, from watching that 8 minute interview, that his uncle is Walter Davis. I'm ashamed and embarrassed to have just realized that fact. When Hubert was playing for UNC, I was in some rather cloudy days of my life.

"8 in 17"

Roy's assistants don't have a great track record. They've mostly been mediocre. There's really no evidence that Hubert would be any better. He would have to be the exception to the rule. My worry is that Hubert is mediocre as well and it takes 2-3 years too long to fire him because he's "family." In a way, it would be better for him to fail miserably if he doesn't succeed.

I agree. But if he recruits well, it's really going to come down to player development. Roy was never a world beater of a game coach but he could recruit and develop players which allowed him to build great teams. I'm optimistic that Hubert will do well on the recruiting trail. I just have no clue whether or not he is ready to structure practices, workouts, team meetings, film sessions and everything else a head coach has to orchestrate to run a successful program.

The players are excited. I think a lot of those guys feel like Hubert 'is one of them.' A lot of "our guy" type of comments. I'm curious to see whether he can inspire the same commitment and loyalty from incoming recruits over the next year or two.

I'll come back and quote this poast when Hubert gets us a natty :cool:

Reactions: Heelicious
From here on out, I'm going to look for reasons to be supportive of him instead of reasons to bash him. I was just hoping for a different decision.

I gotta give him a chance.
Agreed. He wasn't at the top of my wish list, but I'm on board and will support him. Hopefully our concerns will be for naught.

But if he doesn't work out, we can still get Wes in a few years (hopefully after he gets a P5 job and proves himself even further).

Good Luck Coach Davis.... Hopefully all of us that didn’t have you as our first choice will be back in a few years eating crow and relishing in all of your successes!!!!

Go Heels

That was a nice interview. I liked the things he said especially about being his own personality and needing more shooters and not post up screeners.

I also liked what he said about learning a lot from other coaches and NBA players and noting it and thinking about how he can use it.

This may be wishful thinking / revisionist history but just maybe HD could end up being more humble and less stubborn than RW. I felt like RW would never admit he could actually learn or implement something from any other coach other than Dean or himself, and didn’t seem to change philosophies or strategies at all even as the game clearly evolved. I think HD is more open to acknowledging that and adapting. Not nearly as mule headed stubborn as RW. I hope.

Reactions: blazers
I just have no clue whether or not he is ready to structure practices, workouts, team meetings, film sessions and everything else a head coach has to orchestrate to run a successful program.
Hopefully he'll be so concentrated on figuring that stuff out that he'll need to offload his shooting coach duties to someone else.

Wes will absolutely take the job if offered in the near future. To think otherwise is crazy. I'm sure he's a little bent but he's not going to be too pissed he lost out to a guy who has been sitting next to Roy for a decade.

But I actually think Hubert will do fairly well. Even as soon as next year.

Wes will absolutely take the job if offered in the near future. To think otherwise is crazy. I'm sure he's a little bent but he's not going to be too pissed he lost out to a guy who has been sitting next to Roy for a decade.

But I actually think Hubert will do fairly well. Even as soon as next year.

100% with this. This is still Wes' dream job and he's still taking it whenever it's offered.

I've sold myself on Hubert after the ESPN interview, the near unanimous positive reaction from players/recruits/former players/media, and the fact that a large part of his interview was talking about his plan for the transfer portal and how to recruit in the era of NIL.

There were definitely more qualified people but I think the top guys did turn us down (Stevens, Few) so I'm good with this if it was Hubert vs. Wes. Wouldn't have been my choice based on the resume but I can see how Hubert probably crushed his interview.

100% with this. This is still Wes' dream job and he's still taking it whenever it's offered.

I've sold myself on Hubert after the ESPN interview, the near unanimous positive reaction from players/recruits/former players/media, and the fact that a large part of his interview was talking about his plan for the transfer portal and how to recruit in the era of NIL.

There were definitely more qualified people but I think the top guys did turn us down (Stevens, Few) so I'm good with this if it was Hubert vs. Wes. Wouldn't have been my choice based on the resume but I can see how Hubert probably crushed his interview.

What did he say about recruiting and NIL? I'm curious. I'm at work so I won't be able to take a look until later.

Apparently Kessler is considering coming back now. I know he could help out, but knowing that he contributed to Roy retiring I would prefer him to not come back. Going to be hard for me to cheer for a guy that was partly responsible for Roy's early retirement.

Apparently Kessler is considering coming back now. I know he could help out, but knowing that he contributed to Roy retiring I would prefer him to not come back. Going to be hard for me to cheer for a guy that was partly responsible for Roy's early retirement.
If hubert takes him back, then ill think much less of him

If hubert takes him back, then ill think much less of him

Then start now because Hubert wants him back. If he gets him or not shouldn't change your perception if you think he shouldn't take him back. The ball is in Walker's court, we have made it know he has a spot here.

Unless he's thinking of the long game and takes him back only to never play him.
??? How would that "work out" even in the long term? That would be the dumbest, worst move in the history of the program, including any bad recruiting decision or decision on who to play.

It would definitely be an example people (haters looking for ammo) would use of HD "not knowing what he is doing" No way that would ever happen.

??? How would that "work out" even in the long term? That would be the dumbest, worst move in the history of the program, including any bad recruiting decision or decision on who to play.

It would definitely be an example people (haters looking for ammo) would use of HD "not knowing what he is doing" No way that would ever happen.

Yeah! You tell him

'Twas only a joke.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Then start now because Hubert wants him back. If he gets him or not shouldn't change your perception if you think he shouldn't take him back. The ball is in Walker's court, we have made it know he has a spot here.
Does that mean hubert disagreed with roy on his use of walker? Or just desperate to fill a slot? I mean i have honestly been mixed in my feelings about coach and players alike for a long time. But to hear kessler was part of the reason coach retired is a tough pill to swallow. For him to come back would almost be a slap in the face. There has to be much more to the story than what we know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT