ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Good stuff. I guess there are resources for researching these kinds of stats but I've never bothered to look for them. Certainly provides objective support for Keatts' teams being more efficient on offense.
Yeah, what I did was find the formula for determining number of possessions and then PPP from there, so I didn't feel like looking through 20 years of box scores in that regard. But to your efficient point, Keatts teams have done a better job protecting the ball against us as well, which leads to a better PPP as well. Over the past 3 meetings, State averaged 11 TOs against us; the 4 matchups prior to that, they averaged 17.75.

Yeah, what I did was find the formula for determining number of possessions and then PPP from there, so I didn't feel like looking through 20 years of box scores in that regard. But to your efficient point, Keatts teams have done a better job protecting the ball against us as well, which leads to a better PPP as well. Over the past 3 meetings, State averaged 11 TOs against us; the 4 matchups prior to that, they averaged 17.75.
We also turned it over on 27.3% (IIRC) of our possessions. No bueno.

We also turned it over on 27.3% (IIRC) of our possessions. No bueno.
Yeah that number has to get much better, but more specifically, careless live ball turnovers. This game and the UK game were both really bad in that regard, the difference is we won this game. But all those when they pressed us and we throw it to the middle of the court and our guy has to jump to try and catch it when he has two of their players right there guarding him, those are low percentage plays that are going to often result in turnovers, and we kept making that play the other night.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Yeah that number has to get much better, but more specifically, careless live ball turnovers. This game and the UK game were both really bad in that regard, the difference is we won this game. But all those when they pressed us and we throw it to the middle of the court and our guy has to jump to try and catch it when he has two of their players right there guarding him, those are low percentage plays that are going to often result in turnovers, and we kept making that play the other night.
My dog decided to curl up next to me during the game. It took every ounce of restraint to not wake her up the half dozen times we did that. Ugggghhhh.

Reactions: heelz2345
Game summary

giphy.gif

I'll say this, and I'm not shitting on UNC, but the passing I saw today was horrible. It was some of the worst I've ever seen. Louisville is not a great defensive team, UNC just passed the ball so poorly they looked that way.

According to THR:

Huff should start
No one is going pro
Our strength and conditioning coach Jonas needs to be fired
Our offensive philosophy is not adjusting to the international/sybermetric type game that relates to the NBA (whatever that means)

God help us if we lose tomorrow night.

Reactions: tarheel0910
According to THR:

Huff should start
No one is going pro
Our strength and conditioning coach Jonas needs to be fired
Our offensive philosophy is not adjusting to the international/sybermetric type game that relates to the NBA (whatever that means)

God help us if we lose tomorrow night.
I'm at the point where I rarely go over there anymore. The stupidity level this season has been bad, even for them.

Reactions: dadika13
We shoulda seen it coming that our worst game of the season would immediately follow our best. We’re not as bad as the game indicated. We’ll finish 3rd in acc and make sweet 16. I know we have higher standards but without a pg and any decent big men thats about as good as can hope for.

We shoulda seen it coming that our worst game of the season would immediately follow our best. We’re not as bad as the game indicated. We’ll finish 3rd in acc and make sweet 16. I know we have higher standards but without a pg and any decent big men thats about as good as can hope for.
I would be ok with that given our current roster make up. Next year worries me a lot. We won't have KW, Luke, Cam or Little. Coby might even be gone. Even if we do get Anthony, him and Bacot won't be able to replace all that.

Reactions: heelmanwilm

I agree with this for the most part. I still think with the right match ups and some breaks we could surprise and make the FF. But yeah, this team's learning curve is much longer than I thought it would be. I thought Nas would be making an impact by now. He looks to be regressing. I thought the chemistry would build quicker but it's not. In the halfcourt, we're a mess. We only need to be average in the halfcourt. But we're downright putrid.

As long as UK, duke, Nova and KU don't win the championship, I can stomach watching this team go out in the sweet 16. Because until they say they're gone, I will continue to believe that no underclassmen on our team have any business leaving for the NBA.

I would be ok with that given our current roster make up. Next year worries me a lot. We won't have KW, Luke, Cam or Little. Coby might even be gone. Even if we do get Anthony, him and Bacot won't be able to replace all that.

Yepp next year all the down recruiting years catches up to us with a vengeance. And it will take several years to get back where we want it. We’ll be back no doubt but i’m not sure the fans will be willing to wait for it and theres gonna be “time for roy to go” threads in abundance.

Yepp next year all the down recruiting years catches up to us with a vengeance. And it will take several years to get back where we want it. We’ll be back no doubt but i’m not sure the fans will be willing to wait for it and theres gonna be “time for roy to go” threads in abundance.

I know you don't believe it will happen, but if Nas and Coby stay and Cole comes, f*ck the recruiting misses of the past few years, right?

And anyone that participates in a "time for Roy to go" thread should immediately kill themselves.

I think the down recruiting years have already caught up to us at the PG and at the 5 spot. To be fair, Roy expected to have Felton on the team right now and maybe even Bradley. It's been a bad combination of recruiting misses and guys leaving unexpectedly.

I think the down recruiting years have already caught up to us at the PG and at the 5 spot. To be fair, Roy expected to have Felton on the team right now and maybe even Bradley. It's been a bad combination of recruiting misses and guys leaving unexpectedly.

We're a top 3 team with Felton and Bradley.

We're a top 3 team with Felton and Bradley.

I'm not sure Felton moves the needle all that much. I mean, who's he going to play in front of? Not Coby. Not Kenny. So what you're essentially saying is that Felton is an upgrade at the back up PG spot. And I just don't think that moves the needle all that much.

But Bradley, as a Junior, yeah, he'd be beastly. 7 foot rim protector with some post moves and a soft touch. He would indeed make us much, much better.

I'm not sure Felton moves the needle all that much. I mean, who's he going to play in front of? Not Coby. Not Kenny. So what you're essentially saying is that Felton is an upgrade at the back up PG spot. And I just don't think that moves the needle all that much.

But Bradley, as a Junior, yeah, he'd be beastly. 7 foot rim protector with some post moves and a soft touch. He would indeed make us much, much better.

I think it would make us deeper at the wing because you could slide Coby over to the 2 much more often. It'd mean swapping Coby/Felton with more minutes for less minutes from Woods/BRob. That's a big upgrade to me.

I think people are deluding themselves by thinking that Little and White will be back next year. The possibility of them staying is a wishful-thinking dream.

The recruiting has fallen way-off, and the early exits of Felton and Bradley hurt. It's a big shit sandwich we're chewing on. I'm far less optimistic than I once was about this year's team and their potential. After having seen the competition of the rest of the conference, I think UNC is going to finish 4th, at best, and I expect 5th place, in the ACC. Louisville exposed glaring weaknesses.

SJung's synopsis made sense to me and left me thinking "Holy shizz." We go as far as Luke Maye takes us... I think Luke is one of the coolest kids in the history of the program. His story and performance will be forever remembered. But... I dunno... Luke carrying the load is asking a lot of him. Not too much, but a whole lot.

Reactions: Heelicious
And, count me in the group who will be so glad when this OAD crap is gone from the college game.

That has literally ruined the game in every possible way, to me. I guess I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to my sports distractions. College basketball has become a yearly OAD dog show. I'm just thankful that dook is the ring leader.

Reactions: Heelicious
I think people are deluding themselves by thinking that Little and White will be back next year. The possibility of them staying is a wishful-thinking dream.

Agreed. White has shown he can play, and should have gotten some more attention from the NBA. Little, for whatever reason, hasn't seemed to slip on draft boards. If he's still projected lottery he needs to go. The NBA won't be as forgiving if he has a second let-down year as a sophomore.

Reactions: strummingram
Maybe, in some ways, the Dean/Roy success model is really hurt more by the OAD variable than other schemes. I'm not a basketball strategist, but I wonder if perhaps the OAD thing is something that is more difficult to dodge and maintain a dynasty when you run a system like Roy's.

When I saw his contract extension, my first thought was "How can he possibly meet that obligation from a physical/health standpoint?" The guy had me worried at the Louisville game.

Maybe, in some ways, the Dean/Roy success model is really hurt more by the OAD variable than other schemes. I'm not a basketball strategist, but I wonder if perhaps the OAD thing is something that is more difficult to dodge and maintain a dynasty when you run a system like Roy's.

When I saw his contract extension, my first thought was "How can he possibly meet that obligation from a physical/health standpoint?" The guy had me worried at the Louisville game.
I only saw the second half, well most of it before ESPN switched to a vastly superior game, what happened with Roy's health?

Agreed. White has shown he can play, and should have gotten some more attention from the NBA. Little, for whatever reason, hasn't seemed to slip on draft boards. If he's still projected lottery he needs to go. The NBA won't be as forgiving if he has a second let-down year as a sophomore.
Little hasn't slipped because of potential and measurements. That's what the NBA cares about.

Little hasn't slipped because of potential and measurements. That's what the NBA cares about.
right, plus I don't think this is a particularly deep draft. Tre Jones will be a career back up point guard in the NBA- not an athletic freak, measurements aren't great, poor 3 point shooter, poor free throw shooter, and he's sneaking into the first round, unfortunately for me.

right, plus I don't think this is a particularly deep draft. Tre Jones will be a career back up point guard in the NBA- not an athletic freak, measurements aren't great, poor 3 point shooter, poor free throw shooter, and he's sneaking into the first round, unfortunately for me.

I've read more positive nba projections for him. Many seem to think he's better than his brother

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT