ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

I should have known. You really need to get started on watching all those classic movies you haven't seen. You never know when you might fall off a ladder.
I do not understand that reference. But when I used to paint I did fall off a ladder one time. Luckily for me I have cat like reflexes so landed on my feet.

I do not understand that reference. But when I used to paint I did fall off a ladder one time. Luckily for me I have cat like reflexes so landed on my feet.

HICKIN.gif

It's not a reference. Just me telling you that you need to start watching the movies, because you never know how long you have.

kobe was a killer and i respect that…he’s right behind mj for me.

lebron is at the table…and i totally respect kareem and wilt’s contributions so they also get seats at the table…lebron might be the best all-around basketball player i’ll see again…he’s 38 and had 40/10/9 in an elimination game…idgaf what he does off the court, entertain me.
greatest CAREER: Lebron
greatest PLAYER: MJ

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Have you seen The Terminator?
I saw the first two; loved the first one, the second one was OK. Until fairly recently, I didn't even know that the film had become franchised with I don't know how many sequels. That has happened with me with a number of other similarly franchised movies. I guess I just don't care for sequels

But back the the point, all I wanted to get from the movies was seeing shit being blowed up, and they didn't disappoint in that respect. I only now learned much about the 'skynet' stuff that I had only vaguely been aware of, because I googled it out of curiosity.

To me, dialog that describes stuff like skynet is just babble justifying the ridiculousness of the stage being set. My eyes glaze over. Does it really matter why a merciless 'terminator' killing machine from the future appeared from out of nowhere? It just did. Let's get on with the mayhem and the slaughter.

I have to admit though, now I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to find and watch the sequels.

tl;dr? K

ETA; just saw your post giving me the answer beforehand. Preesh.

greatest CAREER: Lebron
greatest PLAYER: MJ
Some would argue Jordan's career was greater too. This board is a good unbiased place to discuss.

Lebron played longer since he skipped, but Jordan was obviously doing fantastic career things in college.

If Jordan hadn't played baseball for his dad those two 3-peats could potentially have been one long 8 yr dynasty.

And if he hadn't had those two retirements he would've added a few more NBA MVP awards - he still leads 5 to 4 over Lebron.

Jordan won olympic gold in 84 when it counted, then was part of the dream team. Lebron got some golds but landed bronze one yr.

Some would argue Jordan's career was greater too. This board is a good unbiased place to discuss.

Lebron played longer since he skipped, but Jordan was obviously doing fantastic career things in college.

If Jordan hadn't played baseball for his dad those two 3-peats could potentially have been one long 8 yr dynasty.

And if he hadn't had those two retirements he would've added a few more NBA MVP awards - he still leads 5 to 4 over Lebron.

Jordan won olympic gold in 84 when it counted, then was part of the dream team. Lebron got some golds but landed bronze one yr.

There is almost no valid measurement where LeBron is better than Mike. Stats can lie. The game has changed so significantly that LeBron's 27, 8 and 8 averages pale in comparison to Mike's 30, 6 and 5. The games Mike played in were in the 90s (points scored). Last year, the average NBA score was 114. Mike played when the average number of 3 pointers taken by a team in a game was 14. Last year, it was 34. New rules promote scoring. Less physicality. Mike played 11 seasons where he played at least 80 regular season games. LeBron has played 3. There was no "load management". It's grossly prevalent now. And they have cutting edge medical treatment now that is lightyears beyond where it was in Mike's day. But most of all, players are coddled now. Mike played in an era where players were not only physically tougher but infinitely emotionally stronger than today's wimps.

I won't listen to any argument whatsoever that puts LeBron in Mike's class. Just no.

There is almost no valid measurement where LeBron is better than Mike. Stats can lie. The game has changed so significantly that LeBron's 27, 8 and 8 averages pale in comparison to Mike's 30, 6 and 5. The games Mike played in were in the 90s (points scored). Last year, the average NBA score was 114. Mike played when the average number of 3 pointers taken by a team in a game was 14. Last year, it was 34. New rules promote scoring. Less physicality. Mike played 11 seasons where he played at least 80 regular season games. LeBron has played 3. There was no "load management". It's grossly prevalent now. And they have cutting edge medical treatment now that is lightyears beyond where it was in Mike's day. But most of all, players are coddled now. Mike played in an era where players were not only physically tougher but infinitely emotionally stronger than today's wimps.

I won't listen to any argument whatsoever that puts LeBron in Mike's class. Just no.
Plus MJ was willing to admit he was going bald. Lebron has his implants because he needed to hide that hairline that went to the top of his head.

Plus MJ was willing to admit he was going bald. Lebron has his implants because he needed to hide that hairline that went to the top of his head.
He was able to glide thru the air better on his dunks. Those high fade flat tops from that era created to much drag

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
We don't have many proven athletic, bouncy slasher types, and we're a little short. I think this means D probably doesn't have a great ceiling, and offensively I think it puts some pressure on our shooters. Theoretically we should have more easy shots and more transition shots, but I'd say we go as far as RJ goes just because we're going to need people to hit outside shots, and because he and a high-school sr will be the go-to clutch guys when a bucket is needed.

Is Cadeau a good free throw shooter? That would be nice.

Cadeau
RJ
Ryan
Ingram
Bacot

Washington
Withers
Wilcher
Trimble

That's a top 10 team. Easily. Now, we have to see if HD will actually play his bench and run. If he doesn't, then it doesn't matter how much talent we throw out there.
Well, we already know he's not going to run unless he's decided to completely change his system. If success depends on that, then we have a problem.

I think we need to calm down with people making all these predictions about us being one of the best teams in the country now. Last year everyone was saying we were great and Manick leaving wasn't going to be a big deal. We have multiple potential problems this year:

-Chemistry
-Playing time
- New players learning the system
-Cadeau might not be able to walk on water
- Coaching

We could end up being really good, but thinking that all our problems are solved because of one player coming (a freshman by the way) isn't being that realistic.

I think we need to calm down with people making all these predictions about us being one of the best teams in the country now. Last year everyone was saying we were great and Manick leaving wasn't going to be a big deal. We have multiple potential problems this year:

-Chemistry
-Playing time
- Coaching

We could end up being really good, but thinking that all our problems are solved because of one player coming (a freshman by the way) isn't being that realistic.
"-Cadeau might not be able to walk on water"

lol, probably not a popular sugggestion but a completely reasonable one.

You can't expect great team play without having players that have played together. The most successful teams are usually those loaded with upperclassmen (from the same school). Just plugging in good players isn't the be all end all. It isn't even a safe bet.

That being said, hopefully this will at worst be a team that starts out slow but then starts hitting on all cylinders toward the end of the season. I won't allow myself to expect more than that.

Reactions: tarheel0910
"-Cadeau might not be able to walk on water"

lol, probably not a popular sugggestion but a completely reasonable one.

You can't expect great team play without having players that have played together. The most successful teams are usually those loaded with upperclassmen (from the same school). Just plugging in good players isn't the be all end all. It isn't even a safe bet.

That being said, hopefully this will at worst be a team that starts out slow but then starts hitting on all cylinders toward the end of the season. I won't allow myself to expect more than that.
Normally yeah in the past, but no one on any team has played together with the portal being what it is. Every single team is basically fielding a lineup of 3-4 new guys in the starting lineup (except Duke, which is scary).

-Chemistry
-Playing time
- Coaching

I thought we were a top 15-17 team without EC, I think we're a top 8-10 team with him. He doesn't solve all of the problems but I expect him to have a similar impact that Butter had when he got inserted into the starting lineup, which was a similar jump in how good that team was/became.

HD has said in the past that he wants to play more guys and he wants to run, he just didn't have the guys to do it...so we'll see because he certainly can't hide behind that excuse this season.

If he makes no changes then he shouldn't be the coach here.

Normally yeah in the past, but no one on any team has played together with the portal being what it is. Every single team is basically fielding a lineup of 3-4 new guys in the starting lineup (except Duke, which is scary).
good point, and I agree about dook. What's scary about them is that monster deciding to return.

ETA; Filipowski is who I'm referring to.

Reactions: dadika13
HD has said in the past that he wants to play more guys and he wants to run, he just didn't have the guys to do it...so we'll see because he certainly can't hide behind that excuse this season.
I was going to post that maybe he was waiting for the right PG. If the PG doesn't run, it doesn't matter if everyone else does.

2 things:

- @dadika13 and I usually are on the same page with basketball takes but I’m not quite as high on us. Yet. By the end of the season, maybe but I have to see it first. Lack of athleticism and defense are still glaring.

- not as impressed with duke as some of y’all apparently are. Flip is a nice player but not a big time athlete. He better work on that 3 ball because he’ll get bullied by Mando. I like Proctor. Roach coming back creates potential unhappiness with others and he’s not worth it. He’s a B- player. Their other guys are unproven and again, we were supposed to be all world last year and look how that turned out.

2 things:

- @dadika13 and I usually are on the same page with basketball takes but I’m not quite as high on us. Yet. By the end of the season, maybe but I have to see it first. Lack of athleticism and defense are still glaring.

- not as impressed with duke as some of y’all apparently are. Flip is a nice player but not a big time athlete. He better work on that 3 ball because he’ll get bullied by Mando. I like Proctor. Roach coming back creates potential unhappiness with others and he’s not worth it. He’s a B- player. Their other guys are unproven and again, we were supposed to be all world last year and look how that turned out.
remember this conversation. I'll gladly stick my neck out and put my money on Filipowski being the one doing most of the bullying. It comes down to, as I said last season, what the refs let him get away with and what they let the other team get away with.. I'll be surprised if his season numbers aren't at least similar to Bacot's. I'll never disrespect our guy and suggest that Filipowski is his better, but I think our guy will have his hands full.

Not athletic? I'd say he's plenty athletic for a seven footer. I won't post any dook video to play, but here's a link if anyone wants to check him out.

Filipowski highlights

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT