ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

If anyone cares Gary is reaching full meltdown mode in the quick stuff thread on THR.

He has threatened to stop doing write ups, and he is getting praises from his hype men to please don't go.
He is literally guilty of what he was called out for. I lol at the fact he related to Davis as playing hero ball. He has lead in scoring for 7 games. Dude is killing it this year.
EC is good, but not there yet. He may be special, but not yet.
Then to threaten not doing write ups is middle school behavior. Can anyone say triggered? Both him and his clingers
I can't imagine how AJ and crew enjoy his write ups and assessments in the middle of their content.

Reactions: carolinablue34
He is literally guilty of what he was called out for. I lol at the fact he related to Davis as playing hero ball. He has lead in scoring for 7 games. Dude is killing it this year.
EC is good, but not there yet. He may be special, but not yet.
Then to threaten not doing write ups is middle school behavior. Can anyone say triggered? Both him and his clingers
I can't imagine how AJ and crew enjoy his write ups and assessments in the middle of their content.
That's the irony... He's hijacking someone's business- fairly on the free board, of course- to offer what amounts to competition for the proprietor.

And they allow him and his 4 or 5 nut huggers to do it over and over.
I don't think it's hurting anyone, or anything. But, it can obviously turn into quite a show on occasion. Like it's really serious stuff. It's kind of funny how these old men put so much effort, and identity, into these... basically boys that they on't even know at all... and, it becomes far more serious for them, and they're not even playing... or coaching, or even sitting in the stands. I'm as guilty as anyone else. My avatar is a tattoo on MY arm!

Gary is someone deriving significance from posting write ups to earn praise from random people on the internet. Used to hate the guy. Now I just feel bad for him.
you-what.gif

LOL, this gif was just the best I could find spur of the moment, it doesn't reflect my reaction to seeing you. Not really. Some, I guess. It's just I've been wondering what made you retreat into a shell.

Are you just passing through or are you going to stay and kibitz awhile?

• Haha
Reactions: gunslingerdick
The 23/24 Tar Heels win when they establish and play their tempo. They are adjusting to the bully ball and
giving it right back on the defensive end. They battle through halves of incomprehensible
officiating without losing their composure. They have played a tough schedule and at 11-3,
have a bunch of games at DES on deck. GDTBATH

Props to all of them... Coaches and players. This is a TEAM. The chemistry and cohesiveness is obvious. Huge difference from last year. Much higher ceiling for these kids.

Reactions: carolinablue34
This team is for real. They have more grit than the teams of the past 5 years put together. The chemistry is obvious and they can win in different styles. Defense travels. I'm trying to temper expectations because while those 3 road wins are impressive, I don't think any of those 3 teams are very good. But we're gaining confidence with every game and getting better defensively too. The offensive will be there when we need it. The schedule is favorable for the next 6 games. We could be (should be?) 18-3 when duke comes to town.

If this were last year's team, they would have lost at least one of those games down the stretch. That they not only held on but rose to meet the challenge.

When they lost to Kentucky, I was pissed but not worried. They showed grit and didn't give up. I think they're a real contender come March Madness.

If this were last year's team, they would have lost at least one of those games down the stretch. That they not only held on but rose to meet the challenge.

When they lost to Kentucky, I was pissed but not worried. They showed grit and didn't give up. I think they're a real contender come March Madness.
I always hear about teams "peaking" at the right time. And, I think it was the THI podcast about the NCSU game, where they mentioned UNC peaking "too early." That may be, or is a consideration. UNLESS... the ceiling is much higher. They aren't playing to their fullest potential right now. There are still kinks to be worked-out and things happen during the season. But, I'd like to think that experiencing WINNING games counts for a lot. They, as individuals and as a team, are experiencing winning games. When you manage to win game after game, it can start to become almost subconscious, like it's running automatically. Of course, it's not as simple as an individual doing it. But, they seem to be bonding really well. They seem to be much more of a "team" in the classic sense.

After seeing how they've come together this season, I'm really glad-- NOW-- that all those players jumped ship. Nickel, Love, Johnson, etc., all needed to go. Ingram alone is worth the three I mentioned.

not so fast. The defense is much better but has room to improve. The offense is effective enough for the time being and maybe as good as you should expect from a largely cobbed together team, but it isn't machine-like just yet...far from it. But it seems to have that potential. Hubes is subbing well, IM(extremely humble and uninformed)O in order to achieve a better gel come tournament time. But we aren't so good as to avoid getting knocked off by a lesser team and/or a highly motivated one.

I hope Hubert is grinding the faults away. One thing that bugs the crap out of me is not finishing shots or taking shots that shouldn't be taken. Aaargh.

I want to sweep the dookies. If losing a game before we play them brings us down to earth and makes us more focused, I can live with that.

I can't remember the last time destroying a team seemed so easy. We clearly have a group of guys that gel together. That's the main difference between last year and this year.

Credit to Hubert too for getting everyone to buy in. Roy was not a fan of modern college sports and I think it affected his mood a bit.

I can't remember the last time destroying a team seemed so easy. We clearly have a group of guys that gel together. That's the main difference between last year and this year.

Credit to Hubert too for getting everyone to buy in. Roy was not a fan of modern college sports and I think it affected his mood a bit.
It's affected many people's mood. HD seems to follow closer to dean but with heavy modern influence. He is throwing many looks at opponents on D and offense. This last games flow was nice. Barring injury and big heads, this team will make a nice run

looks like my post (#25417) was spot on. We haven't shaken that old habit of stretching out a lead and then giving it right back. After my post won two games that exhibited our weaknesses and then we mauled WF in good fashion; things clicking much better. I said a loss before playing dook might be a good thing (or at least not the end of the world), if beating dook was a major goal...and of course it is. Well, now the stage is set just as I imagined it.

I don't really know basketball that well, but it seems to me that Hubes thinks that dook is going to put the throttle on RJ so he's trying to make Cadeau the answer to that. From what I've seen, I think we should just try to get RJ open as much as possible.

I don't really know basketball that well, but it seems to me that Hubes thinks that dook is going to put the throttle on RJ so he's trying to make Cadeau the answer to that. From what I've seen, I think we should just try to get RJ open as much as possible.

Hubert knows this. Everybody knows this. But the way to get RJ open is for Cadeau to be in the game and be effective. By this point, it should come as no surprise that we are world's better when Cadeau is running the offense and being effective. RJ thrives. He's so good he can get his shot when he's on the ball. But for our team to reach peak, Cadeau has to be a part of it. He had foul trouble last night, was taken out of the game and you see the result.

i'm ready for a Bacot-less UNC team. he's run his course. almost 24yo, no emotion, no leadership, weak around the rim, average defender. he should be dominating games at this point.

This is almost blasphemes but I said the same 2-3 games into the season. I love Mando and what he has done. But good lord, he's fallen off badly. He's like a 12 year NBA vet on his last legs. Has less lift and explosion than at any point in his career. Seems like he is over college basketball and only came back because he has no where else to go. Washington probably isn't the answer unless he makes a big leap this summer. But I'm ready for it too. It makes me sad to say that but it's the truth.

Hubert knows this. Everybody knows this. But the way to get RJ open is for Cadeau to be in the game and be effective. By this point, it should come as no surprise that we are world's better when Cadeau is running the offense and being effective. RJ thrives. He's so good he can get his shot when he's on the ball. But for our team to reach peak, Cadeau has to be a part of it. He had foul trouble last night, was taken out of the game and you see the result.
what I was referring to wasn't just Cadeau running the offense, it was his pointedly attacking the basket the last couple of games. He's gone after it time after time, sometimes with success but more often not. He has been driving to the rim so much that he has been easily defensed for the most part. He isn't RJ. It seems more than just Cadeau's offense coming around, because of how consistently he has gone after it. Hubes must be telling him to do so.

i'm ready for a Bacot-less UNC team. he's run his course. almost 24yo, no emotion, no leadership, weak around the rim, average defender. he should be dominating games at this point.
getting fewer minutes took the wind out of his sails, it seems to me. But giving Washington more minutes is a really good thing, IMO.

Maybe Bacot will come alive against dook. Hope so, we'll need him to.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
i’m not going crazy about this game…carolina has been hitting free throws and shooting well, so this happens…what’s bothered me was the reliance on rj and now ec to drive and nobody else moving or there for a rebound.

if rj is allowed to shoot ft’s at the end, the game is over, more than likely…i’ll choose to assume this game was a warning sign; get dudes involved & press more.

also, ec now has to realize he’s getting watched…i saw no more than three fouls from him, but if he’s going to be that aggressive, he’s not going to get the benefit, yet.

Reactions: bluetoe
i’m not going crazy about this game…carolina has been hitting free throws and shooting well, so this happens…what’s bothered me was the reliance on rj and now ec to drive and nobody else moving or there for a rebound.

if rj is allowed to shoot ft’s at the end, the game is over, more than likely…i’ll choose to assume this game was a warning sign; get dudes involved & press more.

also, ec now has to realize he’s getting watched…i saw no more than three fouls from him, but if he’s going to be that aggressive, he’s not going to get the benefit, yet.
Yea it’s a meaningless game given the one coming up. We beat dook we’re right back where we were even if we had beat tech. Easily the worst game they played all year and still had a chance to win save for a missed call at the end. Add me to the list of people wondering wtf has happened to bacot. He’s made a career of making up for skill with effort but we haven’t seen much of that lately.

Reactions: gteeitup
what I was referring to wasn't just Cadeau running the offense, it was his pointedly attacking the basket the last couple of games. He's gone after it time after time, sometimes with success but more often not. He has been driving to the rim so much that he has been easily defensed for the most part. He isn't RJ. It seems more than just Cadeau's offense coming around, because of how consistently he has gone after it. Hubes must be telling him to do so.

I think it's just witnessing the maturation process of a young guard. I'm sure Hubert is telling Elliot to drive more. His first step is elite. And as we all know, he can't shoot. But his first step is so good that his man can play him for the drive and he can still beat him. Again, our team is going to be the most deadly when Cadeau can get to the rack. I get it, RJ is the guy, no doubt. But he's going to wear down by season's end if he doesn't have someone to share the load with. And frankly, Cadeau driving will allow RJ to do what he does best; shoot. Obviously, it should never be to the detriment of the team and RJ is option 1,2 and 3. But throughout the game, Cadeau is gonna have to drive and finish or drive and dish. I think Hubert just trying to bring him along.

I think it's just witnessing the maturation process of a young guard. I'm sure Hubert is telling Elliot to drive more. His first step is elite. And as we all know, he can't shoot. But his first step is so good that his man can play him for the drive and he can still beat him. Again, our team is going to be the most deadly when Cadeau can get to the rack. I get it, RJ is the guy, no doubt. But he's going to wear down by season's end if he doesn't have someone to share the load with. And frankly, Cadeau driving will allow RJ to do what he does best; shoot. Obviously, it should never be to the detriment of the team and RJ is option 1,2 and 3. But throughout the game, Cadeau is gonna have to drive and finish or drive and dish. I think Hubert just trying to bring him along.
c'mon man. I'm not trying to adulate RJ, I'm just commenting on the fact that in the last several games, Cadeau has been determined to drive to the lane.... usually to no avail, but that isn't the point. The point is that it's sudden and different from what he has been doing. I'm speculating that it's a pointed attempt to have him fill in in that role if they put the wraps on RJ. When I say Cadeau is no RJ, if you'll notice I was saying that in regard to his inability to finish those shots. RJ is almost freakish in that ability. Cadeau is not.

I'm not even complaining about it, although while watching the games and seeing him snuffed routinely I definitely was.

National tv audience got their moneys worth. Bet the ratings are through the roof.

I know dook got 80 but unc defense was great. They had to work for tough shots and to their credit they made them

Filipowski is a freak. Hopefully he’s gone after this year

Bacot musta been reading posts in here. Lots more energy than in past few games. That left hand is sweet.

I think Ryan might be future luke maye 2.0.

That sequence by cadeau towards the end was brutal. Three goes in and out, then fouls a three point shooter who had missed and we had the rebound, then misses front end of one and one. Single handedly caused an 8 pt turnaround. Hope that doesn’t get in his head.

Though born a UNC fan, I've gotten much less passionate about sports in general over the years. That said, I really wanted UNC to win last night. Not for all the normal reasons but because attending the game was the grandson of a good friend of mine who lost his father (my friend's son-in-law) in a one-car accident a few months ago. The kid is about 8-10 years old and a huge UNC fan. I think it was the first basketball game he'd attended and went with his mom who bought the tickets somehow (I can't imagine what they cost.) He has taken the loss of his father pretty hard so for at least a few hours--and a few days of afterglow--he'll have been and be in a happy place. I just hope he didn't party too hard on Franklin Street. LOL.

Carolina Basketball is alive and well. Season 3 is HD's best, so far. I don't know how it ends, but they're playing more like a classic UNC team. I'm glad to see it! Last time we had 2 players in a game with double-doubles was Jamison and Carter. Pretty impressive.
and I'm sure it's been said here a few times, but it turns out that beating dook without K is just as sweet as beating them with him.

Reactions: gteeitup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT