ADVERTISEMENT

SKJ transferring from Kentucky

We’re a 2 post player oriented team and we played small this year solely because our bigs were liabilities. Stop drinking the kool aid
Just what Kool-Aid would that be?

9.9 PPG
7.1 RPG
54.7% FG
24.6 MPG

Those are the combined numbers of Sterling and Garrison. If we had a high 4* player come in and post those numbers, I believe most of us would be very pleased and would be excited about the future of said player. And that's exactly how I feel about Sterling and Garrison.

There was plenty to like in both of them. A lot to work on certainly, starting with strength, but a lot of tools to work with as well. IMO, Sterling may be All-ACC by his senior year, and Garrison is going to be a very good front court defender.

This is not to say that I'm adverse to adding a Bacot/Hurt/Baker/Brown to the mix, I'm not. But our four young bigs are going to form the backbone of a very good front court with more experience.

If that's drinking the Kool-Aid, then I'm guilty as charged.

Hard to compare stats for big men at UK vs big men at UNC. We run a system that provides many opportunities for big men to score in the post.

UK? Not so much. If you can't score easily in the PNR, you don't get many touches.

Shhhhhh dont let the pom pom police know

The only Kool-Aid that was drank was the Big Blue flavor Cal gave to SKJ.

Personally, I don't think that deserves a death sentence like committing to dook would. He made a mistake, but if he wants to amend it then who is anyone to deny him that chance?

I project that he will get 10 & 5 at the very least.

I just want to post this Rupp Rafter beauty in response to what you said. Because they seem to think him going to Kentucky handed us a championship.

"If he picks UNC, that is some immature epic level trolling by SKJ.

He could have picked UNC 2 years ago. Had he, he would have been the primary back-up PF in '16-'17. It would have been SKJ, not Luke Maye, checking in for Isaiah Hicks in the Elite Eight game against Kentucky. No way SKJ plays the type of game Maye did that night... so UK would have won that night, gone to the Final Four, and possibly won the 2017 National Title.

So SKJ has already indirectly contributed to UNC getting a title over UK. Now he might transfer there and contribute to their future post season runs as an upperclassman?"
Wow. They are nothing if not delusional. Priceless.

Reactions: DeuceManJones
I just want to post this Rupp Rafter beauty in response to what you said. Because they seem to think him going to Kentucky handed us a championship.

"If he picks UNC, that is some immature epic level trolling by SKJ.

He could have picked UNC 2 years ago. Had he, he would have been the primary back-up PF in '16-'17. It would have been SKJ, not Luke Maye, checking in for Isaiah Hicks in the Elite Eight game against Kentucky. No way SKJ plays the type of game Maye did that night... so UK would have won that night, gone to the Final Four, and possibly won the 2017 National Title.

So SKJ has already indirectly contributed to UNC getting a title over UK. Now he might transfer there and contribute to their future post season runs as an upperclassman?"
Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Quote-Gif-On-Seinfeld.gif

If Roy's interested, I'm interested. As mentioned, his stats were underwhelming (Manley was better), but it's hard not to like the idea of a 22 year old McD AA in your big rotation and with two years of eligibility.

As Professor Owl mentioned, SKJ's scoring totals might have been deflated by the UK system. He did shoot a high percentage, which is promising. I do think his rebounding, defense, and ball skills need to improve a lot to start under Roy.

Reactions: Archer2
If SJK comes here he ties up a scholarship for his transfer year, and then another year for each year he plays. Is that correct?

When we were recruiting him, I said I thought he looked like a poor man's Henson. I didn't think he'd be much good as a freshman, but might get very good in a year or 2.

If he still looks like he'll be good with proper coaching, then why not?

A friend of mine who knows more than I do about collage ball, says SKJ is a better fit for our bball program than UKs...in that he's more of a system guy--as opposed to an iso type of player.
Personally I like his athleticism. He looks to be a better shot blocker, and dunker than Sterling or Garrison.

A friend of mine who knows more than I do about collage ball, says SKJ is a better fit for our bball program than UKs...in that he's more of a system guy--as opposed to an iso type of player.
Personally I like his athleticism. He looks to be a better shot blocker, and dunker than Sterling or Garrison.

Agree, have to realize that SJK is not a "dribble drive" guy, what they do at Ky is basically organized street ball, this season they had Knox and their guards taking turns buffing their NBA resumes and not playing team ball which includes all the guys on the court. SJK is a talent but he problem at Ky was that 1) His game does not fit what they do and 2) He was going to be diminished by the more clear NBA stars who have free rein to make mistakes and be allowed to play thru them. Basically the kid is now for the most part what he was day 1 on that Ky campus and that so far has cheated him out of any NBA chances he may have had, with a decent coach that does not believe his entire job is recruiting.

To me kal is a heck of a recruiter but he honestly makes the FSU coach look good and that takes some doing! Telling ya now, PJ, just like SKJ is under the wrong coach for his game, he needs development as well and he is fortunate that Kal didn't star power forward and Vandy, well he should take a strong look at the G-league right now, PJ may need to as well.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
PJ I think is going to stay in the draft. Don't hold me to it tho.

If he can sneak in at all this year, I think he should go. In this day and age, coming back to build up your draft stock is hard when you have all these "freshmen phenoms" coming in and getting drafted based on hype and potential rather than performance.

Just look at guys like Diallo, Bridges, and Trimble as of late.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Thank you. It's interesting though, because Roy was looking to add someone before Felton left. Does that mean he can fit two guys?

I don't know but in my thoughts get process I say yes he takes both if they want in
Nope, we can't take both as things currently stand. On scholarship we have:

Seniors: Luke, Cam, Kenny
Juniors: Seventh, B-Rob
Sophomores: Sterling, Garrison, Huffman, Platek
Freshman: Little, White, Black

That's 12 guys, and you can only have 13 scholarship players. Someone else would have to leave or give up their scholarship to add both.

That's 12 guys, and you can only have 13 scholarship players. Someone else would have to leave or give up their scholarship to add both.

Have to start to 2nd guess that Huff scholly offer at this point.

Baby Jet also

I get that. I am saying that Roy was recruiting players before Jalek left, that would mean he had zero scholarships to work with, but was still recruiting players.

Reactions: RoseHeel
Have to start to 2nd guess that Huff scholly offer at this point.

It not like you can actually play 13 guys. You run into minutes issues before you run into scholarship issues. Huff has value because he doesn't ever need minutes. And he can fill in if absolutely necessary.

Also, the next few years we are going to have the best blue steel team ever. Baby Jet/Shea/Walker/Huffman.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Huff has value because he doesn't ever need minutes.

This makes absolutely, positively, zero sense. A coach wants all 13 scholarships to be used wisely for either current or future value on the court. I do not see that Huff fits either of those descriptions.

Reactions: tarheel0910
This makes absolutely, positively, zero sense. A coach wants all 13 scholarships to be used wisely for either current or future value on the court. I do not see that Huff fits either of those descriptions.
It makes plenty of sense. Owl is saying Huff is a glue guy and an insurance policy. A 5th big that can support the others and play whenever injury or foul trouble strike hard. You can't have a 13 man rotation anyway, so you want some bench players who are thrilled to be on a top team like UNC, and will keep morale and energy high despite possibly only ever seeing a few minutes a game.

Not to say Roy doesn't think there is ANY chance Huffman becomes a major player in the rotation. But it might be a 25% chance he fulfills his upside, vs 75% chance he is a depth player.

I think Roy is brilliant at finding the right mix of guys,some superstars, some role players, and some glue guys to fill in. That's part of the reason why we never have any transfers. Stillman White wasn't recruited because he was super likely to be the next great Carolina point guard; Roy liked his play and his attitude, and thought he could be a great team-first player to contribute when needed. There's no point recruiting 13 guys who expect to start within a year or two only to lose 2-3 of them to transfer every season.

It makes plenty of sense. Owl is saying Huff is a glue guy and an insurance policy. A 5th big that can support the others and play whenever injury or foul trouble strike hard. You can't have a 13 man rotation anyway, so you want some bench players who are thrilled to be on a top team like UNC, and will keep morale and energy high despite possibly only ever seeing a few minutes a game.

Not to say Roy doesn't think there is ANY chance Huffman becomes a major player in the rotation. But it might be a 25% chance he fulfills his upside, vs 75% chance he is a depth player.

I think Roy is brilliant at finding the right mix of guys,some superstars, some role players, and some glue guys to fill in. That's part of the reason why we never have any transfers. Stillman White wasn't recruited because he was super likely to be the next great Carolina point guard; Roy liked his play and his attitude, and thought he could be a great team-first player to contribute when needed. There's no point recruiting 13 guys who expect to start within a year or two only to lose 2-3 of them to transfer every season.

This. Not every player is going to be a major contributor. Think of Nate Britt & Joel James.

I get that. I am saying that Roy was recruiting players before Jalek left, that would mean he had zero scholarships to work with, but was still recruiting players.

I think we could take more than 1, but the likelihood of it actually happening at this point is pretty slim.

If SKJ wants to come here and Roy thinks he can help the team, then I'm all for him becoming a Tar Heel.

Roy loves playing multiple bigs in the rotation so there will still be playing time available to him even with the development of Brooks and Manley.

Rather here Jordan Brown's answer before I get on the "Plan B" train. JMHO.

I think Huffman Could at least be as Good as Joel James, he clearly is not right now though..

They're about at the same level on their respective parts of their careers.

I'd venture to argue that James was a bigger "liability" at this part of his career than Huffman was.

Rather here Jordan Brown's answer before I get on the "Plan B" train. JMHO.

They're about at the same level on their respective parts of their careers.

I'd venture to argue that James was a bigger "liability" at this part of his career than Huffman was.
Couldn't help but love that big fella though

Well said.

I think Huffman Could at least be as Good as Joel James, he clearly is not right now though..
Yeah, I think he’ll be a lot better than Big Joel by his Junior year. He has better athleticism and a mean streak. I think he is far from being a wasted scholarship. He just needs time.

Plus, he’s a great bench guy. He’s one of the most enthusiastic supporters during games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT