ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Drake's 6'5 player Okay Djamgouz - who the Des Moines Register called "freaky good from 3-point range" - just hit the portal. He didn't play as much as that description suggests he should, but might be worth a glance to find out why and whether he fits here.

Then again, he might just be a shorter Nickel.

Drake's 6'5 player Okay Djamgouz - who the Des Moines Register called "freaky good from 3-point range" - just hit the portal. He didn't play as much as that description suggests he should, but might be worth a glance to find out why and whether he fits here.

Then again, he might just be a shorter Nickel.
Yeah, we need some good shooters but we also need someone that is more proven. Dont want to waste our chances on a wild card. After all, this is UNC. We should be able to get someone really good from the portal.

I'm good then. Thanks.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm really loving this Timberlake kid! Shooting is a plus skill that translates across levels. It doesn't for those who are volume shooters, but it does with those with the proper form, mentality, confidence, and consistent quick release! This kid will be a player at our level and I hope it is as a Tar Heel! He could bring Sexy Back to our perimeter, allowing us to say Bye, Bye, Bye to opponents!

I'm really loving this Timberlake kid! Shooting is a plus skill that translates across levels. It doesn't for those who are volume shooters, but it does with those with the proper form, mentality, confidence, and consistent quick release! This kid will be a player at our level and I hope it is as a Tar Heel! He could bring Sexy Back to our perimeter, allowing us to say Bye, Bye, Bye to opponents!
captain-america-i-understood-that-reference.gif

Yeah TP, I like the Timberlake kid to, that is not to say that there is not another kid that enters the portal that I may like more, simply of the guys I saw in the portal last time I looked, I do really like this kid and what he could bring us. I am a taker on him until I see another guy that in my eyes better fits what we need. 38% shooting on over 600 MADE treys is hard for me NOT to like! LOL

TP, let me also add Kerwin Walton, I think was FANTASTIC jump shooter, my issue with him had NOTHING to do with defense, my thing is you are a darn big time jump shooter, get off your arse and move, go get a position that the ball can get to you cleanly so you can have a decent look, you have to freakin MOVE and he simply did not move or even try to find his own spots to be able to get off good shots, that IMO was LAZY. If you are a shooter shooter, you have to work for great position and DEMAND the ball gets to you.

Yeah TP, I like the Timberlake kid to, that is not to say that there is not another kid that enters the portal that I may like more, simply of the guys I saw in the portal last time I looked, I do really like this kid and what he could bring us. I am a taker on him until I see another guy that in my eyes better fits what we need. 38% shooting on over 600 MADE treys is hard for me NOT to like! LOL

TP, let me also add Kerwin Walton, I think was FANTASTIC jump shooter, my issue with him had NOTHING to do with defense, my thing is you are a darn big time jump shooter, get off your arse and move, go get a position that the ball can get to you cleanly so you can have a decent look, you have to freakin MOVE and he simply did not move or even try to find his own spots to be able to get off good shots, that IMO was LAZY. If you are a shooter shooter, you have to work for great position and DEMAND the ball gets to you.
I wonder now if he wasn't coached to be in a spot. I doubt it, but after watching this mess this year who knows. The baseline corners on the court may have to be replaced as much standing around as there was in those 2 spots this past year!

Reactions: DSouthr and Archer2
Timberlake plays in an easy conference. Dont expect anywhere close to these numbers playing in the ACC (even being as weak as it is). Might give us 10ppg. Solid role player.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Timberlake plays in an easy conference. Dont expect anywhere close to these numbers playing in the ACC (even being as weak as it is). Might give us 10ppg. Solid role player.
If defenses have to respect his 3pt shot, and can't afford to leave him wide open to double team Bacot, then he will be a massive help.

Most of our losses came down to 1-2 possessions, even though we shot the worst 3pt % in UNC history. Any reliable shooter we add will help us. This guy can actually make wide open shots.

I wonder now if he wasn't coached to be in a spot. I doubt it, but after watching this mess this year who knows. The baseline corners on the court may have to be replaced as much standing around as there was in those 2 spots this past year!
Actually, I think he was coached to do what he did, looked much like a version of isolation played in the NBA, go stand over there and be a threat that the defense must account for. Problem was he was not that much a threat so defenses could double off him. You just don't run spread offenses with out having a lot of deadly shooters, especially when you have 2 weak shooting starters and a center whose range is about 5ft.

Reactions: Tarheels39
I wonder if Hubert and Armando had a conversation about getting Armando more reliable outside shooting and a solid backup.

I mean I don't really think Armando would have said "get me those or I'm not coming back" but who knows? His game (and durability) would definitely be helped with those changes.

If he turns out to be as good as the last two were, that's probably the path which Forbes will be taking going forward. Pretty sure he selling what Appleby and Williams done before him, which is not a bad strategy.

I wonder if Hubert and Armando had a conversation about getting Armando more reliable outside shooting and a solid backup.

I mean I don't really think Armando would have said "get me those or I'm not coming back" but who knows? His game (and durability) would definitely be helped with those changes.
Transfers generally are never coming to schools to be backups.

Rumor but supposedly Tyler Nickel will be going to VA Tech and he transferred partially because his girl, who is going to vcu, is pregnant. That's the rumor at least.

A good center with 2 or more years of eligibility left might be an option. He might not be bothered with backing up in his first season here. Especially when you consider we can't count on Washington or High to give us big minutes.

That gives us a solid 4-man front line the following year with Washington, High, Roosevelt and the portal guy.

If Hubert can wean himself off iron man rotations, that's decent PT both the upcoming season and the next one. OTOH, if Hubert insists on playing Armando 35mpg unless injured, that might not be an easy sell.

A good center with 2 or more years of eligibility left might be an option. He might not be bothered with backing up in his first season here. Especially when you consider we can't count on Washington or High to give us big minutes.

That gives us a solid 4-man front line the following year with Washington, High, Roosevelt and the portal guy.

If Hubert can wean himself off iron man rotations, that's decent PT both the upcoming season and the next one. OTOH, if Hubert insists on playing Armando 35mpg unless injured, that might not be an easy sell.
Who is Roosevelt?

Top tier talent that is able to play at unc isn't coming to backup. McKoy was an exception but also shows the former comment, and he is transferring out for a reason.

You look to the transfer portal for starters. Or at least convince them they could become the starter and pull the wool over their eyes for a year. If there is no viable path to start, they ain't coming. Period. It's why no PG is coming from the portal and likely no center. Those 2 positions are wrapped up.

I told you all this last year when yinz kept saying you wanted a backup center for Bacot out of the transfer portal. No one is transferring in to sit behind someone definitively.

Top tier talent that is able to play at unc isn't coming to backup. McKoy was an exception but also shows the former comment, and he is transferring out for a reason.

You look to the transfer portal for starters. Or at least convince them they could become the starter and pull the wool over their eyes for a year. If there is no viable path to start, they ain't coming. Period. It's why no PG is coming from the portal and likely no center. Those 2 positions are wrapped up.

I told you all this last year when yinz kept saying you wanted a backup center for Bacot out of the transfer portal. No one is transferring in to sit behind someone definitively.
We'll see.

There may not be many (any?) in the small set I outlined - good enough to start, with 2 or more years of eligibility, and willing to back up in his first year as long as he gets good PT. But if there is, Hubert should go after them.

We have a starting position at center available in the 2024-25 season and good PT available immediately. And we're UNC.

That's a darn good offer for the right guy.

IMO, the main thing in the way of getting a good center with that offer is Hubert's substitution history. Or should I say his non-substitution history? I mean a good center who wants to start for Carolina might be happy with 20-25 minutes off the bench in his first year here, but not if he thinks that could be 5-10 minutes.

Stanford's PG Isael Silva just entered the portal. He hasn't shown enough to get excited about him, but I'm just looking at numbers.

Jaemyn Brakefield, the Dukie who transferred to Mississippi is in the portal again.

I remember being surprised that he left Duke because I thought he was starter material. Which he showed at Mississippi with good shooting and rebounding.

He's 6'8, 220 takes 1/3 of his shots from deep, hitting 35%, 66% from 2pt range, 73% from the stripe and has a 63.1 TS%.

I know some will reject out of hand because of Duke and twice in the portal, but might be worth a look.

dook got a transfer from Illinois (Grandison) and from Northwestern (Young) to come in and be backups.

UNC got Justin Knox to come be a backup.

Every player is different. Of course part of it is you promise the transfer they will have an opportunity to win a starting spot or starter's minutes.

Jaemyn Brakefield, the Dukie who transferred to Mississippi is in the portal again.

I remember being surprised that he left Duke because I thought he was starter material. Which he showed at Mississippi with good shooting and rebounding.

He's 6'8, 220 takes 1/3 of his shots from deep, hitting 35%, 66% from 2pt range, 73% from the stripe and has a 63.1 TS%.

I know some will reject out of hand because of Duke and twice in the portal, but might be worth a look.
I don't buy that listed height.

In any event, we need a legit stretch 4. Someone teams always have to guard out on the perimeter so Bacot faces less double teams.

I don't buy that listed height.

In any event, we need a legit stretch 4. Someone teams always have to guard out on the perimeter so Bacot faces less double teams.
Yeah, I wondered about that, too. My recollection is that he was a SF at Duke. Maybe he grew? Or not. Either way I recall him as athletic and with good energy.

While it is difficult to ever remove the stink of dookie from peeps, I'm more concerned with him moving so much! At some point, you have to look at the common denominator. I thought he had the skill to play a lot more than he did at puke, but I wonder why he can't find a place to be comfortable! I am not worried in the least since I have already seen how good our staff is at mining the portal. Hubs identifies and then fills holes as well as anybody out there!

While it is difficult to ever remove the stink of dookie from peeps, I'm more concerned with him moving so much! At some point, you have to look at the common denominator. I thought he had the skill to play a lot more than he did at puke, but I wonder why he can't find a place to be comfortable! I am not worried in the least since I have already seen how good our staff is at mining the portal. Hubs identifies and then fills holes as well as anybody out there!
His past success is definitely encouraging. The question is whether the just-ended season will tarnish UNC's luster in the eyes of recruits we might want.

I take it as given that if Hubert wants them other top schools probably do, too.

How will we fare against schools still playing like Houston, Gonzaga, UCLA, Texas or Tennessee? And, of course, our usual nemeses Duke and Kentucky.

It should still be easy enough to sell Carolina, but there's always that "what have you done lately" question that we can't answer as well this time around, compared with some likely competitors.

If Hubert manages to snap up a great talent quickly, the argument that we needed to pass up the NIT to get a head start on mining the portal will start to look more reasonable. I have dismissed that argument so far, but Hubert could prove me wrong with aggressive early successes.

the problem now is our incompetent coach has put us in a position where we absolutely MUST find the perfect fit across multiple positions. Hell this past year, we saw how hard it was to replace Manek with somebody like a Nance who was a solid player coming in, but he was nowhere near the fit needed. Now we need a few scorers on the wing, a PF, and some additional big man depth, all of which we hope mesh and fit well together playing whatever shit show system Hubert has in mind this year.

All that assuming we don't lose 2 more guys that may leave as well.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Remember that guy who started and averaged 9 points per game on the 4-28 Louisville team? He might be our next starting PF!

Yeah gobbler, off the ball movement the past two years has been bad. Between not being able to make threes consistently and poor ball/player movement, we are soooo easy to defend. I just don’t like Hubert’s offense. We used to kid Krazywhiskey about not developing a bench and living and dying by the three. We have now adopted that style of play. It’s a sad time for college sports in general and UNC in particular.

What about Iona junior Nelly Junior Joseph ? He has shown improvement each year.

I know the season was terrible but you guys are still being too pessimistic. Dook and UK have missed the tournament recently, they're still doing okay with recruiting. We went to the championship last year, that's better than lots of teams getting good transfers (Miami, Illinois, K-State, Wake) have done in a long time, if ever. What do you think these schools can pitch?

If the money is competitive UNC is a better place to play than just about anywhere.
To many negative post lots of teams struggling the teams doing good haven't always done good we will climb that ladder again and yes we went to the championship game last year and should have won it if only mondo hadn't got hurt and we had a Bench.

There are a lot of negative posts going around, willing to wait and see what happens before the season starts again. Some of us could be eating crow this time next year, and it could be us who are willing to take this approach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT