ADVERTISEMENT

Walker Kessler entering transfer portal per his Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... guess the rumors were true. This pretty much guarantees another disappointing year next season with Brooks gone and if Sharpe goes pro.

I hate to hear this. This guy is going to be an incredible player, but he was so misused this season at the expense of Brooks, I can't say I am surprised he is leaving.

This is 1000% on Roy. How many game threads did we have where we said "where's Walker?" because he would have these extended moments just sitting on the bench?

But aren't we glad that Garrison got his 30mpg.

Totally agree! Roy was absolutely awful this year! Brooks, Platek and Black should have been playing s combined 30 min this year..instead, Brooks and Black were playing 30 each smh!

Wow... guess the rumors were true. This pretty much guarantees another disappointing year next season with Brooks gone and if Sharpe goes pro.

I hate to hear this. This guy is going to be an incredible player, but he was so misused this season at the expense of Brooks, I can't say I am surprised he is leaving.
You nailed it. One of the reasons Kessler is leaving is because of Brooks.

This is 1000% on Roy. How many game threads did we have where we said "where's Walker?" because he would have these extended moments just sitting on the bench?

But aren't we glad that Garrison got his 30mpg.

I'm shocked you're making this comment. I would have expected this from the less knowledgeable fans we have here. But not you.

Kessler got the minutes he deserved. His conditioning sucked for the first 2 months of the season. And frankly, he just wasn't very good early on. Roy played him as much as he could. Plus, he was staring 25+ minutes per game in the face for next year. Screw him and his entitled attitude.

Totally agree! Roy was absolutely awful this year! Brooks, Platek and Black should have been playing s combined 30 min this year..instead, Brooks and Black were playing 30 each smh!
This.

I dont blame any of the guys who had to sit on the bench and watch Brooks, Platek, and Black take up their minutes for transferring.

This is 1000000% on Roy. There is no defending his use of these players especially Platek and Black. Just horrible.

Usage both time and role, I think. He wants to develop face up away from the basket, NBA skill set.

I'm shocked you're making this comment. I would have expected this from the less knowledgeable fans we have here. But not you.

Kessler got the minutes he deserved. His conditioning sucked for the first 2 months of the season. And frankly, he just wasn't very good early on. Roy played him as much as he could. Plus, he was staring 25+ minutes per game in the face for next year. Screw him and his entitled attitude.

Agree he didn't deserve them first half but by the 2nd half of the season there were games where he was our best big and he was getting 10mpg.

His minutes the last 3 games were 13, 9, 12...all while Garrison was getting his shit taken from him from every big he tried to challenge.

When your freshman begin to develop into the players you recruited them to be they need to be getting more than 10mpg at the end of the season.

I agree he deserved more minutes overall but he was horrible in the ACC tournament against VT.. he looked out of shape and got constantly pushed around in the first half of that game.. Big loss for sure

But Brooks is gone and Kessler will start next year. How does he not see that it gets better for him here?

It’s more of a system thing! Roy has to change or it’s just gonna keep getting worse! You have to adapt and change with the times in sports..defensively and offensively, he has yet to change either and it’s starting to catch up

If brooks wasnt just a complete no show most of the season then maybe you have a point, But the way brooks played all year, kessler should have gotten a lot more run. This one is squarely on Ole Roy.

Roy recruited the Kessler's on Walker being used just like Luke Maye and then he didn't fulfill his promise. The Kessler's seem intent on going somewhere that will use him in that way and get him ready for the type of NBA big man he is going to be. You can't blame the kid for leaving after sitting behind Brooks all season.

If brooks wasnt just a complete no show most of the season then maybe you have a point, But the way brooks played all year, kessler should have gotten a lot more run. This one is squarely on Ole Roy.

See, don't take this personally, but I don't think anyone here at this board is qualified to tell Roy that he's distributing minutes wrong. Brooks has been in the system for 4 years. Roy relies on that experience, especially on the defensive end. If Kessler is repeatedly out of position, how can Roy play him more? If Kessler's conditioning sucks, which it did for much of the season, how can Roy play him more? If Kessler is not screening correctly, or moving the ball correctly, or boxing out correctly, how can Roy play him more?

As fans, we see Kessler with 8 blocks or 16 points and 12 rebounds in one game and we're like, "Play Kessler more!" But then the next game he looks like a dog. Roy knows what he sees in practice. We don't. How in the hell are we going to tell Roy he's doing it wrong?

The bottom line is that Kessler came in with preconceived notions of what his freshman year would be. Maybe Roy shares some blame in creating that notion. But the way I see it is this is a kid that wants instant gratification and is not willing to earn his stripes and wait his turn. Screw him. I'll be watching with great anticipation to see where he goes next year, how he's used and how successful he and his team are. My guess is that he will ultimately regret this move.

Roy recruited the Kessler's on Walker being used just like Luke Maye and then he didn't fulfill his promise. The Kessler's seem intent on going somewhere that will use him in that way and get him ready for the type of NBA big man he is going to be. You can't blame the kid for leaving after sitting behind Brooks all season.

He won't be shooting the ball like Luke Maye regardless of what program he's in. So the Kesslers need to get real or get ready to be pissed at the next coach too.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He won't be shooting the ball like Luke Maye regardless of what program he's in. So the Kesslers need to get real or get ready to be pissed at the next coach too.
Regardless, they were recruited based on a vision by Roy that wasn't upheld. If Roy doesn't sell them on being a stretch 4 like Luke Maye, then they likely commit to a different school to begin with. That is what is boils down to. Walker wasn't utilized as they were promised.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Looks like Brooks and Plates may get another chance to resque Carolina basketball.

I like brooks decent player great guy but he s not going to win a championship for you, it seems
multiple year guys if you can even find them any more who can shoot, did i say shoot the ball
you see who is still playing teams who can shoot ,play defense, make free throw etc im sure roy
thought that's who he recruited, probably should have looked at their percentages more!

So Roy is just suppose to let a freshman who is still adjusting to the college game, is a step slow and frequently gets pushed around go out shoot 18 footers and 3’s but can only shoot 54% from the free throw line? I do believe he would be allowed to evolve into the stretch 4 he was promised but he just wasn’t ready this early for that role

Regardless, they were recruited based on a vision by Roy that wasn't upheld. If Roy doesn't sell them on being a stretch 4 like Luke Maye, then they likely commit to a different school to begin with. That is what is boils down to. Walker wasn't utilized as they were promised.

I won't even get into a discussion of how absurd it is that coaches have to promise something to kids and families. I mean, Roy is a coach. It should be at his discretion who is used where and for what. Kids used to accept scholarships under the premise of "the coach will use me where he believes I'm best suited to maximize team success." But we don't live in that kind of world now. We give power to 17 year olds and their demands. It's pure absurdity.

However, I will agree that Roy shares in some blame if he painted that picture for the Kesslers. But let's say he did. And then in practice, Kessler repeatedly showed that he does not have Luke Maye shooting ability. Is Roy supposed to run plays for him to jack up and miss 3 pointers even to the detriment of the team? That's a ridiculous notion.

I hope Roy retires. Not because I'm mad at him. But it will give me the push I need to check out of college sports. I just find it hard to get emotionally invested and root for kids that I would probably find to be entitled little pricks.

Thanks for your time Roy. Quit now while you're ahead and try to enjoy your golden years. I sure wouldn't waste them dealing with today's bratty youth and their shitty parents.

The truth is that Kessler is a stretch big. Sort of like the one at Wisconsin that torched us. He came with that being understood of how he plays. Instead, we used him like a traditional big and made him sit behind Brooks who frankly didn't play well.

I understand his reasoning. I hate it because he is definitely a NBA caliber player. But, we will live I guess.

Frankly, Roy seems to be taking a lot of heat all around by having a 2 big in the post system.

Roy screwed this one up big time. Chose to waste minutes on the biggest cancer on the team in Brooks (more will come about that I’m sure), despite us being at our best with Bacot and Kessler/sharpe on the floor. Some on here make all the excuses in the world for Roy but the reality is that he misuses elite recruits at the expense of playing an older player, who is frankly less talented 90% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT