ADVERTISEMENT

Walker Kessler entering transfer portal per his Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roy screwed this one up big time. Chose to waste minutes on the biggest cancer on the team in Brooks (more will come about that I’m sure), despite us being at our best with Bacot and Kessler/sharpe on the floor. Some on here make all the excuses in the world for Roy but the reality is that he misuses elite recruits at the expense of playing an older player, who is frankly less talented 90% of the time.

the older players in this case aren’t even like some of the complementary guys on our better teams. They are frankly nearly walk on level for Unc and the amount of playing time they’ve accrued is borderline obnoxious.

I know some here dislike me and that’s fine(well aware that telling the truth often isn’t popular) but I stated a few weeks ago that this could be causing some serious chemistry and other issues. I was quickly shouted down and basically those there was no chance it’s true..

well...

I agree with both sides of some takes on here. He was not ready as a perimeter guy, he was also sold on being used as such, he was not. If he played limited minutes while developing those skills as well, I think he would be coming back. UNC played the opposite with their bigs, and he felt it is not the best place to develop the skills he chose UNC for.

Twitter is going nuts right now about more kids leaving as others have mentioned above. I have no inside info at all but sounds from earlier tweets, bacot and or love

Twitter is going nuts right now about more kids leaving as others have mentioned above. I have no inside info at all but sounds from earlier tweets, bacot and or love
Sounds like RJ is not one of them. Good news to me, I like RJ and think he has a great upside for the next 3 years.

Really hoping the next ones to go are Brooks, Platek, and Black. Sharpe is going to the NBA so Carolina will desperately need Bacot. I think Love would have a great sophomore season if he comes back.

I mean, couldn't this be pointed towards Kessler? Doesn't necessarily mean Love is going anywhere.

But then again, what do I know.
Yeah, sounds like it could be about Kessler. I just posted those because they were the ones everyone was freaking out about.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I don't think Kessler's leaving has anything to do with Bacot, Sharpe, or Brooks staying or leaving.

He was told how he would be used and it never happened-basically lied to IMO. I don't blame him for leaving.
I do not believe Roy Williams lied to him or his family. You'll have a very difficult time convincing people that Roy Williams lied to parents and recruits.

I do not believe Roy Williams lied to him or his family. You'll have a very difficult time convincing people that Roy Williams lied to parents and recruits.
I agree with you on that, if nothing else, Roy seems like a honest man. BUT is it possible he told him that and just saw kessler playing and realized he was just not gonna fit into that luke maye role?

Does anyone on here honestly believe that Kessler should have been used THIS year in the same role Luke Maye was as a Junior??
Probably not but he was clearly told that is how he was going to be used. As mentioned above, maybe Roy saw him actually play in person and realized that was probably not the best route for him going forward. Kessler and his family didn't agree thus the transfer? Just speculating.

Does anyone on here honestly believe that Kessler should have been used THIS year in the same role Luke Maye was as a Junior??
Nope he didint prove enough that he was a stretch 4/5 BUT he certainly should have seen a lot more playing time from about Janaury on, I dont think there is much an argument with that.

Reactions: Old_School59
I don't think Kessler's leaving has anything to do with Bacot, Sharpe, or Brooks staying or leaving.

He was told how he would be used and it never happened-basically lied to IMO. I don't blame him for leaving.
That's a complete bunch of BS. He shot one air ball and banked another 3 pointer but he's some great shooter that was held back by Roy. These kids and their parents are legends in their own minds. Remember Brice Johnson wanted to transfer after his freshman season and his dad told him to man up. Johnson said best decision he ever made.

Yea the more times I read it, it sounds like it could be about kessler and not love

Agreed - the heart looks to be Carolina Blue, isn't it? And Love certainly has nothing to be upset about as far as playing time or growth. But as others wrote, what do I know - Twitter is like the big tree in my backyard. I know it is there but I pay no attention to it....

I agree with you on that, if nothing else, Roy seems like a honest man. BUT is it possible he told him that and just saw kessler playing and realized he was just not gonna fit into that luke maye role?
Well... maybe he needs to realize that reward isn't automatic and sometimes it takes time to evolve. And, maybe a HOF coach knows more than an 18 year old kid and/or his parents. I'm aware that Roy appears to be obsolete and antiquated. But, it was only 3 years ago that he won the NCAAT, 4 years ago that he was in the title game and almost won it.

You don't just "become Luke Maye." The UNC basketball team is Roy Williams' to mold and create. These guys that wanna transfer were never committed to what UNC basketball has to offer. The only thing I would blame on Roy is the inability to sniff-out a player who isn't going to commit.

That's a complete bunch of BS. He shot one air ball and banked another 3 pointer but he's some great shooter that was held back by Roy. These kids and their parents are legends in their own minds. Remember Brice Johnson wanted to transfer after his freshman season and his dad told him to man up. Johnson said best decision he ever made.
I don't disagree with you but again I don't blame Kessler for being mad about being told one thing and getting another.

If I remember correctly, Joel Berry was also going to transfer but stuck it out.

I don't blame him for leaving but I do think Kessler should have followed Johnson and Berry's lead. He would be a monster next year for UNC.

Reactions: Old_School59
Remember Brice Johnson wanted to transfer after his freshman season and his dad told him to man up. Johnson said best decision he ever made.
If I remember correctly, Joel Berry was also going to transfer but stuck it out.
And, look at what they got in return for sticking with it! There's not a single regret from either of them!

Walker Kessler will regret it and I'm glad he's gone. UNC doesn't need players that aren't committed to the coach.

Sounds like RJ is not one of them. Good news to me, I like RJ and think he has a great upside for the next 3 years.

Really hoping the next ones to go are Brooks, Platek, and Black. Sharpe is going to the NBA so Carolina will desperately need Bacot. I think Love would have a great sophomore season if he comes back.
Great upside!?! To do what?! not a Curry type shooter w/range...who will he pass to as shooter or scorer?...leaky hesitates b4 shooting...nxt team very easy to defend

I don't disagree with you but again I don't blame Kessler for being mad about being told one thing and getting another.

I don't blame him for leaving but I do think Kessler should have followed Johnson and Berry's lead. He would be a monster next year for UNC.

It’s easier for Kessler since he doesn’t have to sit a year. I bet Berry & Johnson might have bolted too if it was made this easy for them. Wonder if Kessler would’ve stayed if he knew he’d have to sit for a year?

It’s easier for Kessler since he doesn’t have to sit a year. I bet Berry & Johnson might have bolted too if it was made this easy for them. Wonder if Kessler would’ve stayed if he knew he’d have to sit for a year?
Kessler certainly has issues with waiting, so who knows.

In fairness to Kessler how'd you feel sitting behind an inconsistent Garrison Brooks all year? He had some monster moments and still couldn't amass more than 10 minutes a game. Something is wrong with that picture.
I saw a potent team against Notre Dame, when Brooks was out due to injury. You know Roy Williams is going to stick with his preferred starting lineup by March. But, Kessler was never some all-star Superman that was being held back. He was antsy before he got more minutes. He could have just as easily gotten shredded and exposed if he played more. There's no way to know. Bottom line: If you aren't interested in the commitment to the team and coach, in college basketball, then haul ass somewhere else. Kessler will wind-up just like the Wear twins and Drew II. He had a chance to experience his true potential. I have complete confidence in Roy Williams' ability to develop players who want to evolve under his tutelage. If you're going to pout as a freshman because a senior is getting more minutes... then go pro.

College basketball is becoming less and less interesting. I've been watching this NCAAT closely this year. I see more and more of just 3-point chucking. The game sucks.

Last edited:
I saw a potent team against Notre Dame, when Brooks was out due to injury. You know Roy Williams is going to stick with his preferred starting lineup by March. But, Kessler was never some all-star Superman that was being held back. He was antsy before he got more minutes. He could have just as easily gotten shredded and exposed if he played more. There's no way to know. Bottom line: If you aren't interested in the commitment to the team and coach, in college basketball, then haul ass somewhere else. Kessler will wind-up just like the Wear twins and Drew II. He had a chance to experience his true potential. I have complete confidence in Roy Williams' ability to develop players who want to evolve under his tutelage. If you're going to put as a freshman because a senior is getting more minutes... then go pro.

College basketball is becoming less and less interesting. I've been watching this NCAAT closely this year. I see more and more of just 3-point chucking. The game sucks.
You hit the nail right on the head. The college game for the most part is horrendous. Most teams have trouble breaking 60 points.

Roy would be sooooo happy if Garrison returns. I think Roy's quote was that "Garrison is damn near perfect". Anyway, I don't dislike Garrison but I don't want him back. Either way, he is forever a Tarheel! I hate that Kessler is leaving, but I think that decision was made by Daddy. Overly involved parents drive me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT