ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Any time I make even a general comment Gary has to come back with a "good grief" or "SMH" if it doesn't adhere to what he has "heard" from his "mafia of coaches".

I still haven't found the post where the very integrity of Radar is forcefully and eloquently defended.

giphy.gif

I still haven't found the post where the very integrity of Radar is forcefully and eloquently defended.

giphy.gif
I don't think it's one specific post. It was multiple posts on multiple threads during a back and forth between G7 and a couple of other posters.

Another indicator of the talent drain in recruiting is that arguably the most talented player from the last several years, paige, didnt survive the first rd of cuts. Wasnt even in the top five Pg's with the jazz. I think marvin williams will be the only heel starting for an nba team.

Another indicator of the talent drain in recruiting is that arguably the most talented player from the last several years, paige, didnt survive the first rd of cuts. Wasnt even in the top five Pg's with the jazz. I think marvin williams will be the only heel starting for an nba team.
I loved having Paige and I'll miss watching him play, but he's not one of the most talented players we've had in the last several years.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Don't get the Jamison comparison. Granted I ha ent seen much of Manley (who has?), but I have a hard time seeing Tawn in the very little video I've seen.

I think he's solid from the little I've seen and read. The bit about him being a potential 5 star if he hadn't gotten hurt seems a bit of a stretch. But he's got good size and seems like he moves pretty fluidly. Looks to have soft hands and nice touch. i guess my verdict would be that he has a chance to be a significant contributor his junior and senior year. But we'll be depending on him to give us something next year so I hope he's a quick learner.

Yeah I didn't get the "clone of Jamison" thing either. It amazes me when guys on radar try to compare our current 3 star commitments with former players who were McDonald's All Americans and ended up being first round draft picks.

I hope it's not just me, but does anyone else just want to beat the living shit out of duke one of these days? I'm really tired of playing second fiddle to them this decade.

Yepp they've had bragging rights way too long. Cant really seeing things change this year either. Everyone seems to think hicks and berry are gonna become different players than they were last year and maybe so. I sure hope so. But wheres the scoring coming from? JJ is totally hot and cold, usually cold. Berry cant create a shot off the dribble and hes the pg anyway. Hicks cant make it 20 min without fouling out. Meeks is a role player and will avg around 10-12/gm. I do think we'll be good defensively but we'll struggle to score in the 70's. Dook however is loaded with good shooters.

Yepp they've had bragging rights way too long. Cant really seeing things change this year either. Everyone seems to think hicks and berry are gonna become different players than they were last year and maybe so. I sure hope so. But wheres the scoring coming from? JJ is totally hot and cold, usually cold. Berry cant create a shot off the dribble and hes the pg anyway. Hicks cant make it 20 min without fouling out. Meeks is a role player and will avg around 10-12/gm. I do think we'll be good defensively but we'll struggle to score in the 70's. Dook however is loaded with good shooters.
Well, I WAS starting to get excited about basketball season. :(

Reactions: tarheel0910
I think Berry is going to take on a bigger scoring role. We are losing about 30 points between Brice and Marcus. Between Hicks, Pinson/Williams/Britt and an uptick in Berry's scoring I think we get most of that 30. We won't score as many as last year, but I don't think there will be much of a drop. The biggest concern for me is the two guard. Everyone keeps saying Pinson is going to be there and that scares me some. We need someone who can at least be somewhat of a threat scoring and as of now that's not him. Hopefully he's improved a lot on his shot this offseason.

I think Berry is going to take on a bigger scoring role. We are losing about 30 points between Brice and Marcus. Between Hicks, Pinson/Williams/Britt and an uptick in Berry's scoring I think we get most of that 30. We won't score as many as last year, but I don't think there will be much of a drop. The biggest concern for me is the two guard. Everyone keeps saying Pinson is going to be there and that scares me some. We need someone who can at least be somewhat of a threat scoring and as of now that's not him. Hopefully he's improved a lot on his shot this offseason.

The two guard spot concerns me as well. If I know Roy, Nate Britt will start and get the most minutes at the SG position at least to start the year, and that makes me nervous. I have to think one of the freshmen, or Kenny will be better, but they'll need to be significantly better to get Roy to stray from his usual tendency to give the job to the upperclassman.

Reactions: BillyL

I disagree with much of this. Berry doesn't need to be a different player than he was last year. He's elite. He was becoming elite last year. IMO, he's a top 3 PG in the country this year. I agree with 0910 that his scoring will rise. JJ is kind of hot and cold but I see that as a product of the situation he's been in the past 2 years. Brice and Marcus were the options and JJ played a supportive role. If Jackson knows from the jump this year that we're counting on him, I think he can produce at a high level fairly consistently. But his outside shot has to be dependable. We'll see there, I guess. Meeks is what he is. You can call him a role player but IMO, a guy that averages 10 and 6 is more than a role player. I think we should and can count on 10 and 6 from Meeks along with some skilled passing. Hicks is the one I have the most questions about. He's immensely talented but obviously fouls have been a problem. If he can stay out of trouble, Hicks can really be a beast - especially if he's hitting jumpers like I saw in a practice video.

Duke has some really good players. But it will be interesting to see how K uses them. Can anyone on the perimeter guard? Because they couldn't last year. And how deep do you really expect K to go? And can the guys that don't get much burn come in cold and produce when called upon? That's a big deal and if a player doesn't have that kind of mindset, all the talent in the world won't do them any good.

#notscared

Reactions: tarheel0910

Pinson is a decent scorer. He's just not proven to be much of a shooter. But Roy should be finding ways to get Pinson driving to the basket. He's an excellent passer and a good finisher. I like Pinson starting at the 2. I've said before, I like Nate as the back up PG. I don't really want to see him and Berry on the floor together all that much.

I guess its prolly too late to delete that 'Who Can We Least Afford To Lose' thread over on Raider . .

Wishes for a speedy and complete recovery, Theo . . hang in there man.

Damn. Got to feel sorry for him. Seems like he can't ever stay healthy for a long period. Is this the same foot he hurt a couple of years ago?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT