ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

We should consider an OOTB basketball meetup. Football season, while I agree is a better time with tailgate and all, is just too hard for me until bowl season rolls around. The company I work for goes into what we call "Zero Change" just before Christmas and we don't come out of it until almost May. It's basically a time where we are not allowed to upgrade or change any systems or put anything new in our data centers unless it's an emergency due to the businesses busy time. This time for me, is the least busiest time of the year. Weekends from now until then are pretty much shot. I do get some weekends totally free, but they aren't predictable.
Uhmmm well if it's an official OOTB-sanctioned event, that means I won't be able to talk basketball with any of y'all, so I reckon I'll just sit stone silent during the game and not cheer at all (so basically I'd be @gunslingerdick at a Carolina hoops game)

I think we're all interested in some early season answers to :

How improved will our sophomores be . . ?

How productive will Mr. Bradley be right out of the box . . ?

Is Seventh a better PG than Nate . . ?

Does Theo back up the 4, allowing for more playing time for our multiple guards . . ?

I don't think we're going to be counting on the sophs. It would be nice if KW has worked on his shot and has become lights out. But I just don't see it. And Maye will have to play, but I'm not counting on much production from him. Basically, I see both of those guys as guys just to eat some minutes. Whatever production we get from them is a bonus.

I think TB is going to be a fantastic player - maybe even by the end of his first year. I love his size, fram and attitude. He seems very coachable and like a guy that will buy in fully to the program and system. He might be our best big by season's end. I hope not. But I'm afraid it might shake out that way.

No. Seventh will not be a better PG option than Nate this year and probably not ever. I think Seventh will ultimately be a better player (potential to be a much better player). But I don't think he's ever a PG and he certainly won't be a better option at the 1 this year over Nate. I've stated that Nate's role should change this year in that I don't think he should get many minutes at the 2. I think he should get 8-10 mpg as Berry's back up and let's see what Seventh, KW, and BRob can do coming off the bench in the 2 spot.

I understand that playing Pinson some at the 4 gets our best players on the floor more. But I'm not as enamored with that small line up as some of y'all are. I don't recall any great success Pinson (or our team) had playing the 4 position last year. He's athletic and can cause havoc but his athleticism isn't taken full advantage of when he's playing from the 4.

Bif originally said in Back To The Future, "why don't you make like a tree...and get outta here." Boondock Saints...pfft.

Well, then technically the quote didn't come from there since it doesn't appear the f bomb was dropped in Back to the Future, whereas it was actually dropped in Boondock Saints.

Although, I'll defer to you on what the actual quote was. I've never seen back to the future (surprise, surprise). Not to pull a THN, but that movie came out 3 years before I was born - therefore I don't need to bother with it.

Reactions: UNC71-00
We should consider an OOTB basketball meetup.

I have to admit, as much of a Tar Heel fan that I am, I have never been to a UNC BB or FB game, went to several LNwR events . . both the BB & FB games are on my Bucket List.

Count me in iffin' we(OOTB) ever do either . .

I've never seen back to the future (surprise, surprise). Not to pull a THN, but that movie came out 3 years before I was born - therefore I don't need to bother with it.
PAB8cSP.gif

I have to admit, as much of a Tar Heel fan that I am, I have never been to a UNC BB or FB game, went to several LNwR events . . both the BB & FB games are on my Bucket List.

Count me in iffin' we(OOTB) ever do either . .
This needs to rectified immediately. You're retired now. Go big and stay in the Carolina Inn. Pick a weekend we have a football and basketball game.

This needs to rectified immediately. You're retired now. Go big and stay in the Carolina Inn. Pick a weekend we have a football and basketball game.

I'm going to do so, Z . . fortunately, I have a wife that supports my love for everything UNC.

Bleeding Carolina Blue for 52 years now . .

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
I've never stayed in the Carolina Inn. Has anyone on here stayed in it? I can't afford that shit.

Not me! I do well to afford tickets, that place is out of the question. Last game I got to attend was when Butter started for the 1st time against Clemson. GOOD TIMES!

I've never stayed in the Carolina Inn. Has anyone on here stayed in it? I can't afford that shit.

Yes. My brothers wedding reception was there and I have been other times.

It's a cool enough hotel- all the rooms are different and good bar and nice lobby/grounds. Best part is proximity.

I've stayed there a couple times. Both times have been when I've taken my kids down for a game in the Dome. I usually go to the OOC game a few days after Christmas. It is expensive and the rooms I've had are tiny. Nice but tiny. But the kids like walking around the place. I do too. And really, just to say I did.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I've never stayed in a room at the Carolina Inn, but I've gone to several functions there. I did live right next door to it for the majority of my time at UNC though. Good spot.

I don't think we're going to be counting on the sophs. It would be nice if KW has worked on his shot and has become lights out. But I just don't see it. And Maye will have to play, but I'm not counting on much production from him. Basically, I see both of those guys as guys just to eat some minutes. Whatever production we get from them is a bonus.

I think TB is going to be a fantastic player - maybe even by the end of his first year. I love his size, fram and attitude. He seems very coachable and like a guy that will buy in fully to the program and system. He might be our best big by season's end. I hope not. But I'm afraid it might shake out that way.

No. Seventh will not be a better PG option than Nate this year and probably not ever. I think Seventh will ultimately be a better player (potential to be a much better player). But I don't think he's ever a PG and he certainly won't be a better option at the 1 this year over Nate. I've stated that Nate's role should change this year in that I don't think he should get many minutes at the 2. I think he should get 8-10 mpg as Berry's back up and let's see what Seventh, KW, and BRob can do coming off the bench in the 2 spot.

I understand that playing Pinson some at the 4 gets our best players on the floor more. But I'm not as enamored with that small line up as some of y'all are. I don't recall any great success Pinson (or our team) had playing the 4 position last year. He's athletic and can cause havoc but his athleticism isn't taken full advantage of when he's playing from the 4.
You back Dave??

Good stuff. I like Pinson at the 4 mainly because the +/- numbers were ridiculous with him there. The team as a whole seemed to be better when he was at the four. Obviously, other factors could have contributed though. I think it can work because with a guy at the four who can drive it creates better spacing because there will not be two guys clogging the driving lanes down low. I think the small lineup is a give and take sort of deal anyway. It creates mismatches both ways.

Yeah, while I like Nate's shooting fine he isn't really fit beyond that to be a 2. Some other guys who are more naturally fit for that position should get a lot of run there. I imagine Roy is going to really mess with the lineups early in the year to see how guys work together with different lineups. Some of the lineup charts from last year were pretty crazy.

I'm higher than a lot on Williams. I love his shot. I think his form his great and his misses were primarily long or short, which is a good sign for a freshman shooter. I also thought his defense was solid. The one negative for me was that he was just kind of out there a lot of times. He would just work the ball around and shoot now and then. There was no threat of anything else from him. Of course, he was a freshman, haha.

I'm higher than a lot on Williams. I love his shot. I think his form his great and his misses were primarily long or short, which is a good sign for a freshman shooter. I also thought his defense was solid. The one negative for me was that he was just kind of out there a lot of times. He would just work the ball around and shoot now and then. There was no threat of anything else from him. Of course, he was a freshman, haha.
I'm high on KW too. If he can get his shots to start falling then I think there will be very little drop off at the 2 this year. With Paige and Brice gone I think he might be more aggressive as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT