ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

I mean, I'll still post at Radar from time to time but certainly not like I used to. I don't really mind if someone is a smartass. Plenty of us here are for sure. I mind if you are a smartass and can't take it or if you are a smartass but really aren't that smart. I appreciate cleverness more than insecurity. Many of us know plenty about the game but there are topics and opinions that don't really stand there without condescension and nonsense. It doesn't bother me a great deal as I think most of the ones giving it are completely full of it. It just gets tiring.

Regardless, there is an alternative here for basketball discussion for those who grow tired of it there. The two can both exist.

Then again, I've been specifically called out in the title of threads on THR, DI, and the main board so maybe I'm just a jerk.

I didn't see anything Heel posted to warrant Gary's response...but then I also realize anytime one of the OOTB guys post on Radar some of the regulars over there just assume a fight is coming. When people go into a conversation ready to fight they usually get what they expect.

I think the key to this entire mess is getting everyone to realize that just because opinions differ that doesn't mean someone is looking for a brawl. We can discuss those differences of opinion and move on to something else without the rancor. The way things are now is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bump that.

Years back I posted about as much here or more than I did on Radar. And in spite of what some believe I don't have "favorites" at either place. We do want to work with both groups knowing for the most part we are all Tar Heel Brothers and Sisters and just love our Heels. We will keep working and we simply ask y'all to please let us know when you think someone is out of line. mikeirbyusa@aol.com premi folk can use the PM here. Which should be available to ALL but is not.

Peace out

I think the key to this entire mess is getting everyone to realize that just because opinions differ that doesn't mean someone is looking for a brawl.
200_s.gif

Reactions: heelz2345
@heelmanwilm

Check out Gary's latest in that thread. Methinks that's an olive branch of sorts.

Yes i agree. And i'll just close with this. I immediately posted in here asking everyone to NOT go over there and get into another fight and i tagged u as well promosing i wouldnt say anything more. I tried to be proactive. It was never my intention to start anything. But i guess i shoulda known he would take my question as a challenge.

Yes i agree. And i'll just close with this. I immediately posted in here asking everyone to NOT go over there and get into another fight and i tagged u as well promosing i wouldnt say anything more. I tried to be proactive. It was never my intention to start anything. But i guess i shoulda known he would take my question as a challenge.

I'm tracking. You did a good job of keeping your cool and I hope you know how much we appreciate it. We don't want to lose anyone and like Mikey said in the end we're all Tar Heels.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I feel obligated to speak to a couple topics in this thread.

1 - I completely agree with this statement from @heelbent:
...but then I also realize anytime one of the OOTB guys post on Radar some of the regulars over there just assume a fight is coming. When people go into a conversation ready to fight they usually get what they expect.

And it's a two way street. People from this board always assume the worst of gary's poast and his allies. I understand the skepticism in both circumstances but that is indeed the problem. The anti-Raider folks need to do a better job of taking poasts at face value and giving the benefit of the doubt to the poaster. I'm sure gary condescends at times. But it's not every time. And I'm sure our OOTB guys go looking for a fight at times (I'm looking at you @UNC71-00), but it's not every time. This war of the boards is kind of ridiculous. If you wanna go to war, let's all take a trip to another board. Whatever happened to Operation Goldfinch, @Raising Heel?

2 - Steve Harvey is funny. But how dare someone knock Richard Dawson. He might be the best game show host of all time.

Reactions: heelbent
I feel obligated to speak to a couple topics in this thread.

1 - I completely agree with this statement from @heelbent:

And it's a two way street. People from this board always assume the worst of gary's poast and his allies. I understand the skepticism in both circumstances but that is indeed the problem. The anti-Raider folks need to do a better job of taking poasts at face value and giving the benefit of the doubt to the poaster. I'm sure gary condescends at times. But it's not every time. And I'm sure our OOTB guys go looking for a fight at times (I'm looking at you @UNC71-00), but it's not every time. This war of the boards is kind of ridiculous. If you wanna go to war, let's all take a trip to another board. Whatever happened to Operation Goldfinch, @Raising Heel?

2 - Steve Harvey is funny. But how dare someone knock Richard Dawson. He might be the best game show host of all time.

I'm a lover not a fighter.

Sorry you see it that way. I disagree.
heelman, you kinda overreacting there. He didn't call you stupid unless I missed something.

LOVE your last two post Gary. Heelman really did not understand but I think he has a better feel for it now. MUCH better than your first reply to him which I guess if I had been him I would have come back at you with the same only stronger. :)

No offense and I have no dog in the fight. These 2 responses contradict each other and that was my take from the exchange.

heelman, you kinda overreacting there. He didn't call you stupid unless I missed something.

LOVE your last two post Gary. Heelman really did not understand but I think he has a better feel for it now. MUCH better than your first reply to him which I guess if I had been him I would have come back at you with the same only stronger. :)

No offense and I have no dog in the fight. These 2 responses contradict each other and that was my take from the exchange.

It just goes to show, how wrong we can all be on any given situation. Glad Gary & Heelman ironed this one out, good job by both.

Honestly thought Heelman was trying to be a smartypants with the original question. My bad.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Man what did I miss?

Well anyway, I hope everyone's doing well. Needed a bit of a break but I can't stay away from Tar Heel hoops for long.

Where do we stand on recruiting these days? Are we more likely to land Knox or Washington? Or neither one. Any big men of note?

Man what did I miss?

Well anyway, I hope everyone's doing well. Needed a bit of a break but I can't stay away from Tar Heel hoops for long.

Where do we stand on recruiting these days? Are we more likely to land Knox or Washington? Or neither one. Any big men of note?
Got an in home set up with Knox. Hope Roy can work some magic on that one.

Got an in home set up with Knox. Hope Roy can work some magic on that one.

From what I gather, the 5 stars that we have the best shot with are Knox and Washington. Knox may consider himself OAD but I don't think Washington does. It will be interesting to see what happens with both of those guys regardless of what school they choose. Knox has the prototypical NBA frame for a SF. Washington is undersized for his PF position and would need a couple years at least to refine his SF skills before jumping to the league. I haven't followed Knox's recruitment all that closely because I thought we were a long shot. Apparently that's not the case. In regards to Washington, his dad will be coaching him at Findlay prep this year. Some people see this as a good sign for us because of glowing comments that PJ's dad has made about Roy and UNC in the past. Roy has apparently formed a pretty good relationship with PJ's dad. Also, Jericho Sims just committed to Texas yesterday. He's a 6'8" PF (kind of in the Brice Johnson mold) that was ranked anywhere from in the high 40s to 120 by different recruiting services. PJ is a far better player and PJ might not be a guy that's scared off by competition. But Sims' commitment to Texas certainly doesn't strengthen their case for him. We also seem to be courting this beastly 3 star guy named Huffman. He attends Word of God in Raleigh (which is weird because I thought Roy didn't recruit guys from those diploma mills). He's a 6'9", 230 lbs dunk-everything kind of guy. He's raw but I kind of like him and I think he's going to make a substantial jump in the rankings.

In other words, I'm as encouraged as I've been in some time regarding our recruiting.

like that's difficult. What did he say "we aren't getting Carter" or maybe "Joel Berry isn't the greatest PG to set foot in CH"?
Someone took this comment a little too seriously.

It would be nice if we could make Radar a speech free board . . . those long tearful goodbyes are absolutely heart wrenching.

To be fair, he misread what Billy was trying to say, so that was the reason for his comment. The wounds aren't quite healed.

I have been personally challenged to poast something about basketball "for once." I hope that my contribution can rise to the level of insight appropriate for Raidar. So here goes:

IF:
Everyone, especially Berry, stays healthy;
Nate, Kenny, Theo, Seventh, Justin, and Joel hit a lot of three pointers;
Hicks can stay out of foul trouble;
Meeks gets a little more aggressive;
and Bradley can hold down some quality minutes in the post ...

THEN we'll be really good this year, and could be contenders again.

Does that about cover it?

I have been personally challenged to poast something about basketball "for once." I hope that my contribution can rise to the level of insight appropriate for Raidar. So here goes:

IF:

Well, you know we also have to hope we can overcome the NCAA monster that is trying to kill off the program and the refs that cause us to lose all the time. Of course dSPN will continue to hide these facts and do nothing but promote duke.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL

IF:

Thats it in a nutshell . .

We lost 2 very big pieces to our playing squad . . its just so hard to replace an All-American Brice Johnson, and Paige accounted for one-third of all our 3 point FGs.

How much offensive production will we get from the 2 spot this year . . ? Will Justin finally have a consistent productive season . . ? Meeks is another big question mark . . can he play an entire season at a consistent level . . ?

How good will Mr. Bradley be right out of the box . . ?

How much offense can we get from Isaiah . . ?

And we all know these things, right? It's fine if you want to rehash them; it's the offseason, after all. But don't be all surprised and offended if somebody offers a tongue-in-cheek response.

Schedule was released today . .

http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-UNCs-full-2016-2017-basketball-schedule-47423947?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=160912_143754_North Carolina Tar Heels&utm_content=Link

from the article linked :

On Monday the Atlantic Coast Conference released the entire slate of ACC basketball games. In turn, UNC's full 2016-2017 schedule is now complete.

Check it out below:

Oct. 14 Late Night with Roy

Nov. 4 vs. UNC Pembroke* (Chapel Hill, N.C.) (Exhibition)

2016-17 Non-Conference

Nov. 11 at Tulane (New Orleans, La.)
Nov. 13 vs. Chattanooga (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Nov. 15 vs. Long Beach State (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Nov. 18 at Hawaii (Honolulu, Hawaii)
Nov. 21 Maui Invitational: Chaminade
Nov. 22 Maui Invitational: Oklahoma State/UConn
Nov. 23 Maui Invitational: Tenn/Wisc/Gtown/Oregon
Nov. 30 at Indiana (ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Bloomington, Ind.)
Dec. 4 vs. Radford (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Dec. 7 vs. Davidson (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Dec. 11 vs. Tennessee (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Dec. 17 vs. Kentucky (CBS Sports Classic in Las Vegas, Nev.)
Dec. 21 vs. Northern Iowa (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
Dec. 28 vs. Monmouth (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Conference slate:

Dec. 31 at Georgia Tech (Atlanta, Ga.)

Jan. 3 at Clemson (Clemson, S.C.)

Jan. 7 vs. N.C. State (Chapel Hill. N.C)

Jan. 11 at Wake Forest (Winston Salem, N.C.)

Jan. 14 vs. Florida State (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Jan. 16 vs. Syracuse (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Jan. 21 at Boston College (Chestnut Hill, Mass.)

Jan. 26 vs Virginia Tech (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Jan. 28 at Miami (Coral Gables, Fla.)

Jan. 31 vs. Pittsburgh (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Feb. 4 vs Notre Dame (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Feb. 9 at Duke (Durham, N.C.)

Feb. 15 at N.C. State (Raleigh, NC)

Feb. 18 vs Virginia (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Feb. 22 vs Louisville (Chapel Hill, N.C.)

Feb. 25 at Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, Pa,)

Feb. 27 at Virginia (Charlottesville, Va.)

March 4 vs Duke (Chapel Hill, N.C.)
41-0 t-shirts, anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT