ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

preview.jpg

It's squarely on Roy. He has to learn how to adjust to the players he has, but he refuses to do so. He's coaching this team like his normal experienced teams. These guys don't have 3-4 years in the system. You have to adjust to that. He also needs to accept the fact that the game has changed and he's got to guard the three.

I know his ego won't allow him to admit that he needs to change, which concerns me some for the future. He either has to change how he coaches or how he recruits.
Just one aspect related to this, out of many that could be pointed out: almost every time they show Roy on camera when his point guard (usually Love) is bringing the ball up, Roy is waving like crazy for him to speed up, bring it up faster.

Why? To run a fast break or secondary break? in almost every instance the defense is already back.

Highly likely outcome: Love or RJ pass the ball at the ankles or knees of someone, or directly to the defense, or out of bounds. Like a 10% success rate.

Second highly likely outcome: Love or RJ have a three-on-one or one- on-one or even one-on-three, and in each instance the only alternative is for them to drive to the rim and jack up an ugly low % shot....not pass to wide open trailer, not pull it back out.....again a 5-10% option. If they are sufficiently stopped with dribble penetration they settle for a long guarded jumper, (brick / air ball)... less than 10 seconds into the shot clock.

I get it. To go as fast as you can has been ingrained in Roy forever and he's had success with it with the right guys. These guys aren't the right guys now, aren't ready for that yet.

And - he likely understands that slowing it down and hoping for something good out of this team in half court is a shaky proposition since they can't shoot, but he should take his chances running set plays to get the bigs shots in the paint.

Likewise RJ and Love have probably played all their lives as: "fast break" means me alone driving to the rim. Nothing else. Period.

Nearly impossible, or takes a long time, to change these habits that are so deeply ingrained.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Just one aspect related to this, out of many that could be pointed out: almost every time they show Roy on camera when his point guard (usually Love) is bringing the ball up, Roy is waving like crazy for him to speed up, bring it up faster.

Why? To run a fast break or secondary break? in almost every instance the defense is already back.

Highly likely outcome: Love or RJ pass the ball at the ankles or knees of someone, or directly to the defense, or out of bounds. Like a 10% success rate.

Second highly likely outcome: Love or RJ have a three-on-one or one- on-one or even one-on-three, and in each instance the only alternative is for them to drive to the rim and jack up an ugly low % shot....not pass to wide open trailer, not pull it back out.....again a 5-10% option. If they are sufficiently stopped with dribble penetration they settle for a long guarded jumper, (brick / air ball)... less than 10 seconds into the shot clock.

I get it. To go as fast as you can has been ingrained in Roy forever and he's had success with it with the right guys. These guys aren't the right guys now, aren't ready for that yet.

And - he likely understands that slowing it down and hoping for something good out of this team in half court is a shaky proposition since they can't shoot, but he should take his chances running set plays to get the bigs shots in the paint.

Likewise RJ and Love have probably played all their lives as: "fast break" means me alone driving to the rim. Nothing else. Period.

Nearly impossible, or takes a long time, to change these habits that are so deeply ingrained.
Roy coaches his same style almost with no exceptions. When its in perfect fluid motion, its hard to beat. When the kids have no clue what they are doing, its a train wreck in slow motion.
He doesnt seem to have a plan to build young teams at all. He keeps pushing the same philosophy and waiting for it to clock. He needs strong fundamental players with a high defensive iq mixed with a few stars. He needs a dominate center and power forward, 1 guard/forward who can go deep or take itto the hoop and a speedy point guard who knows how to manage his system. And a few on the bench learning for their time in the coming years. His model would have us competing for a chip every 4 years to allow 1 rebuild year and 2 growth years. Till the scandal dismantled that, as well as explosion of one and dones. He has never adapted. Leaving the 3 point line virtually open all the time has cost us some major games, a championship, and more dook losses than i care to think about.
Roy has a winning philosophy, wonderful ethics, and the second best mentorship in the world. But he is also hardheaded. Its up to him to develop these kids. For several years, thats not been the case. He can make this team special in a year or so. But keeping 5 star players more than a year or 2 doesnt bode well for his system. Imagine what we would look like with white still playing, both last year and this year especially. Not roys fault the kod blew up, but not having horses in the stable is on him to a point.

I love roy,and he gets a pass for as long as he wants for what he has done for UNC. But the past year and so far this year has been a tough pill to swallow

And can someone tell me what's going on with Roy? He looks like he's there to get his check. I've never seen him look as disinterested on the sidelines. Maybe he's just depressed that the team is this bad.

Reactions: Heelicious
And can someone tell me what's going on with Roy? He looks like he's there to get his check. I've never seen him look as disinterested on the sidelines. Maybe he's just depressed that the team is this bad.

Every time I look over at him expecting him to be losing his shit he’s just sitting down.

Bring in the savior Hubert Davis.

There has to be something else going on we don't know about. Some kind of locker room issue. Between how Roy is acting and the amount of talent we have, there has to be something else going on.

There has to be something else going on we don't know about. Some kind of locker room issue. Between how Roy is acting and the amount of talent we have, there has to be something else going on.

i agree. Last year we just didn’t have the talent. We do this year. But that effort is just horrible. Something is def up. They dgaf.

Maybe the covid thing is taking a toll. They have no energy or enthusiasm or any semblance of cohesiveness at all. These last two wins were squeakers and the opponents were less-than-crappy. And, the ND made one guy look like Larry Bird!

Roy coaches his same style almost with no exceptions. When its in perfect fluid motion, its hard to beat. When the kids have no clue what they are doing, its a train wreck in slow motion.
He doesnt seem to have a plan to build young teams at all. He keeps pushing the same philosophy and waiting for it to clock. He needs strong fundamental players with a high defensive iq mixed with a few stars. He needs a dominate center and power forward, 1 guard/forward who can go deep or take itto the hoop and a speedy point guard who knows how to manage his system. And a few on the bench learning for their time in the coming years. His model would have us competing for a chip every 4 years to allow 1 rebuild year and 2 growth years. Till the scandal dismantled that, as well as explosion of one and dones. He has never adapted. Leaving the 3 point line virtually open all the time has cost us some major games, a championship, and more dook losses than i care to think about.
Roy has a winning philosophy, wonderful ethics, and the second best mentorship in the world. But he is also hardheaded. Its up to him to develop these kids. For several years, thats not been the case. He can make this team special in a year or so. But keeping 5 star players more than a year or 2 doesnt bode well for his system. Imagine what we would look like with white still playing, both last year and this year especially. Not roys fault the kod blew up, but not having horses in the stable is on him to a point.

I love roy,and he gets a pass for as long as he wants for what he has done for UNC. But the past year and so far this year has been a tough pill to swallow

All of this is accurate. But it's telling that we complain about Roy's unwillingness to "adapt" when we should be complaining about kids' unwillingness to "adapt". It is a microcosm of society in general. @We let the inmates run the asylum. Sad.

At least last years team played hard ftmp. I take zero satisfaction from squeaking out a win against a bad team missing their best player. I have never seen a unc team be so consistently lackadaisical. It’s embarrassing. I swear to god roy would do better just rolling the ball out there and letting them do whatever the fuk they want at this point. They seem uncoachable.

i agree. Last year we just didn’t have the talent. We do this year. But that effort is just horrible. Something is def up. They dgaf.
I'm not about to go back and watch last night's game again, but I swear I recall a play where one of our guards passed it to a big who was mostly facing the passer, and the ball hit the big's chest / gut, off his hands and went to Miami. One of the ugliest turnovers (a high bar, lots to choose from). That sort of play is soul crushing...the "I don't care, I'm asleep out here" sort of play that gets kids pulled out of junior high games.

That - and the frequent air balls and wild shots from Davis / Love, (like they are just trying to draw iron....do they even see the rim, backboard when they shoot?) is absolutely unexplainable. Even our bigs seem snakebitten, at times, somehow unable to finish at point blank range, where they could dunk it on an offensive rebound. If you're pouty, soft checked out Brooks though, you miss the dunk. Good times.

They may not score 30 against UVA. No question they will have more turnovers than FGs and FTs combined in that game.

Any of our title teams would have beaten this team by 30-60 points.

Last edited:
Platek game winner. Obviously.
I was telling my son (earlier in the game)...."anytime Platek drives, goes into the forest of taller more athletic guys, he gets the ball rammed back in his grill.....95% of the time he tries it." So fortunate he got that shot off before anyone could reach it - a flat footed floater.

I'll take the win, like anyone else, but last night was not a recipe for success, not "more of this play, please" by any stretch. Miami played mostly 7 players, and one fouled out. I doubt Miami could have beaten any ACC team last night, and we couldn't have beaten any other ACC team except way short-handed Miami. At full strength, Miami wins last night by double digits.

What is going to change, to make us improve. Seems Roy has lost his interest, energy. Maybe family / friend loss recently (and fear of virus / health) has worn Roy down? Has he lost his fire or passion for giving his all to getting better and competing harder than any other coach / team?

I was telling my son (earlier in the game)...."anytime Platek drives, goes into the forest of taller more athletic guys, he gets the ball rammed back in his grill.....95% of the time he tries it." So fortunate he got that shot off before anyone could reach it - a flat footed floater.

I'll take the win, like anyone else, but last night was not a recipe for success, not "more of this play, please" by any stretch. Miami played mostly 7 players, and one fouled out. I doubt Miami could have beaten any ACC team last night, and we couldn't have beaten any other ACC team except way short-handed Miami. At full strength, Miami wins last night by double digits.

What is going to change, to make us improve. Seems Roy has lost his interest, energy. Maybe family / friend loss recently (and fear of virus / health) has worn Roy down? Has he lost his fire or passion for giving his all to getting better and competing harder than any other coach / team?

Sharpe was wide open under the basket and I was sure Platek was going to find him while he was in the air. But instead he shot it. I still felt good that Sharpe had the putback if it had missed but for a split second, I was hot with AP. Good thing it went in. Although I turned the channel with 8 minutes left and started watching Back To School. Turned back and it just happened to be when the Miami fella hit that high arching prayer from 12 feet.

Sharpe was wide open under the basket and I was sure Platek was going to find him while he was in the air. But instead he shot it. I still felt good that Sharpe had the putback if it had missed but for a split second, I was hot with AP. Good thing it went in. Although I turned the channel with 8 minutes left and started watching Back To School. Turned back and it just happened to be when the Miami fella hit that high arching prayer from 12 feet.
Back to School you say? Sorry I missed it. Seems like a better option. :)

If black doesn’t go unconscious from three (well unconscious for him) we lose by double digits. That’s where we’re at...relying on blacks three point shooting
Even after last game, who could legit argue that we are better off relying on Blacks shooting 3 pointers this year, compared to Whites shooting 3 pointers last year? 😐

I gotta say that I'm rethinking the level of effectiveness of Shaka Smart! I thought he was a fluke at VCU and the Texas teams were, overall, under-performing. That isn't the case this season!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT