ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina Basketball Discussion Thread

Well until now of course
Key And Peele Reaction GIF

I was very surprised. I'll reserve judgement till some reasoning is given. But honestly, who can blame them for quiting? They checked out long before the season ever began. Never really looked good, minus last year's run. I've tried to watch 1 game since before they played State the 2nd time. It's a struggle to watch them. It's not any one thing, basically just all of it. If this is HD's fault, he needs to be shown the door. If it's "Roy's" players, then they need to be shown the door. Next year, his seat will be smoking if it's even close to as bad as it is now. If recruits start withdrawing, we need a top to bottom reset
I've watched most games but I got up and walked away from the TV a number of times out of sheer disgust.

But it's presumptuous to say the whole team has to go or HD does. It only takes one bad apple to spoil a team, and dealing with bad apples isn't as straightforward as it once was. And if you've been around awhile, you know that even Dean had his hands full dealing with player issues when he started reeling in the super recruits.

I'd say patience is called for but while we're floundering, Satan's team is looking like it's going places. I hate that more than anything.

i would wager that packing it in is best for all parties, a clean break so to speak.
Perhaps, but the visual is very bad. We are quitting on the season because things didn't go as planned and our players' massive egos are bruised. Again, a very bad look. Perhaps Hubert is afraid that some of these prima donnas would raise a big stink and quit if told they had to play. Perhaps he is afraid that a big stink will cause some of the '24 class to look elsewhere. Who knows?

I read that Hubert allowed the players to vote anonymously as to whether they wanted to play in the NIT. Supposedly Bacot, Leaky, and RJ opted to not play. I assume the majority did as well. Why Hubert allowed the players to make this decision is beyond me. It appears to be more of the tail wagging the dog. Again, not a good look.

I love Hubert, overachievers have long been some of my favorite UNC players and Hubert epitomizes that. I am concerned with the state of the program. I love Hubert's strong moral character, that's beyond reproach. And that is very important to anyone who has followed UNC for the last 60 years as I have and seen his team led by high character men like we've been privileged to have.

TBS, Hubert needs to assert control over this group of quitters. He is not their best friend, he is their coach. There is a distinct difference. A coach can love his players and still be a disciplinarian to them. Players can love their coach and still respect him/her as a figure of authority. If Hubert doesn't learn this pronto, his tenure at UNC will be a short one, regardless of what "scheme" he prefers to run.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but the visual is very bad. We are quitting on the season because things didn't go as planned and our players' massive egos are bruised. Again, a very bad look. Perhaps Hubert is afraid that some of these prima donnas would raise a big stink and quit if told they had to play. Perhaps he is afraid that a big stink will cause some of the '24 class to look elsewhere. Who knows?

I read that Hubert allowed the players to vote anonymously as to whether they wanted to play in the NIT. Supposedly Bacot, Leaky, and RJ opted to not play. I assume the majority did as well. Why Hubert allowed the players to make this decision is beyond me. It appears to be more of the tail wagging the dog. Again, not a good look.

I love Hubert, overachievers have long been some of my favorite UNC players and Hubert epitomizes that. I am concerned with the state of the program. I love Hubert's strong moral character, that's beyond reproach. And that is very important to anyone who has followed UNC for the last 60 years as I have and seen his team led by high character men like we've been privileged to have.

TBS, Hubert needs to assert control over this group of quitters. He is not their best friend, he is their coach. There is a distinct difference. A coach can love his players and still be a disciplinarian to them. Players can love their coach and still respect him/her as a figure of authority. If Hubert doesn't learn this pronto, his tenure at UNC will be a short one, regardless of what "scheme" he prefers to run.
that’s fair…for me, the lasting memory of this season is not enough was done in each game and in each possession, collectively…i would rather wipe it clean now than to get off the bus vs chucktown university and literally quit on the court…that would look way worse and could run everyone off.

now i do agree that hubert must get control of the team…how he will do this is what he must learn…or he won’t and he’ll be gone before five years.

i would rather wipe it clean now than to get off the bus vs chucktown university and literally quit on the court…that would look way worse and could run everyone off.
This makes sense but only feels right if we actually do the "wipe clean" part. If our starting guard tandem is RJ/Love next yr after throwing in the towel right now... then shoot me.

This makes sense but only feels right if we actually do the "wipe clean" part. If our starting guard tandem is RJ/Love next yr after throwing in the towel right now... then shoot me.
This is my biggest fear, that Hubert won't clean house and take control of the team and we'll face these same issues next year. It is going to require an attitude adjustment for Hubert, his staff, and the team. Will we see it? God only knows. I sincerely hope so because I would like nothing more than to see this staff succeed.

Reactions: blazers
i believe love is outta there…he would do well in the g league refining his game…i wish him well and thank him for ending k in durham and in the f4.

i believe love is outta there…he would do well in the g league refining his game…i wish him well and thank him for ending k in durham and in the f4.
I will never forget his role in sending Krazywhiskey into retirement with his tale between his legs. I am very grateful to Caleb for those memories. HST, I think it would be to everyone's benefit for him to move on. I wish him good fortune going forward.

Reactions: bluetoe
I can't imagine these guys quiting on the season and then coming back. I'm perfectly ok with all of them moving on. We're probably going to suck with or without them, so might as well rebuild now instead of putting it off another year.

Keep RJ and encourage Love to transfer or play ball in Europe or the G-league may be the right move.

He’s taken a lot of heat on message boards but I wish Leaky could’ve had his career end on a better note. I always hoped that things would click for him on offense but he was a phenomenal defender that gave 100% for five years. I think if he would’ve hit his big growth spurt a year or two earlier it might’ve helped him figure out how to use his length on offense.

Let’s just hope if Mando comes back that he breaks Leaky’s game appearance record by getting some extra games in March and April.

today is the first I've heard about the players voting, but TBH I anticipated that would be the case....my impression is that letting the players decide in this situation is commonplace. And it makes sense to me. For whatever reason, if they aren't into accepting the downgrade there's a greater risk of further humiliation.

I'm glad to cut our losses at this point but at the same time, the last time we went to the NIT and games were played at the Dean Dome it was a blast. They opened the doors to all comers and the place was packed with riotous street-level Carolina fans. Crazy loud. Loudest I've ever heard it, and just about the most fun.

Reactions: Archer2
today is the first I've heard about the players voting, but TBH I anticipated that would be the case....my impression is that letting the players decide in this situation is commonplace. And it makes sense to me. For whatever reason, if they aren't into accepting the downgrade there's a greater risk of further humiliation.

I'm glad to cut our losses at this point but at the same time, the last time we went to the NIT and games were played at the Dean Dome it was a blast. They opened the doors to all comers and the place was packed with riotous street-level Carolina fans. Crazy loud. Loudest I've ever heard it, and just about the most fun.
Didn't the players vote on the offense when the season started, or was I dreaming?

I haven't heard of such, but that doesn't mean much. Wouldn't mind hearing more about that if true.
I remember it being mentioned early on over at raidar. But with all the insiders there with personal info they can't tell about, who knows

Reactions: bluetoe
Eeesh. What were the choices? Hard to believe that "dribble around until the clock is almost out and then somebody fire up a wild 3" won out.
it didn't completely win out over one player's choice, 'find yourself with no shot and take it anyway'.

He’s taken a lot of heat on message boards but I wish Leaky could’ve had his career end on a better note. I always hoped that things would click for him on offense but he was a phenomenal defender that gave 100% for five years. I think if he would’ve hit his big growth spurt a year or two earlier it might’ve helped him figure out how to use his length on offense.

Let’s just hope if Mando comes back that he breaks Leaky’s game appearance record by getting some extra games in March and April.
Leaky had a great year last year playing the type of role he was meant to play. Not sure why the staff decided to change it.

The only good I can see coming from this is that it probably takes some of the shine off of Hubert for the money guys. That way if he continues to come up short, then they will get rid of him a little quicker. Hopefully he can learn some lessons from this year and turn it around so we can forget this shit.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Leaky had a great year last year playing the type of role he was meant to play. Not sure why the staff decided to change it.
it could be that Leaky expressed a desire to contribute more offensively; and while his three shooting is not great, he is capable of some pretty swift slashes to the basket and operating productively under it. I wish I had seen more of that.

it could be that Leaky expressed a desire to contribute more offensively; and while his three shooting is not great, he is capable of some pretty swift slashes to the basket and operating productively under it. I wish I had seen more of that.
It's the coaches job to determine the players role. If Leaky said he wanted to do that, then it's Hubert's job to say no. I agree about the slashing. That's the one thing he did well, but was too afraid to do it.

It's the coaches job to determine the players role. If Leaky said he wanted to do that, then it's Hubert's job to say no. I agree about the slashing. That's the one thing he did well, but was too afraid to do it.
Yeah the lack of leadership on the bench was visible during the game and now it is blinding when what taken place over the last few days!

Not the best look. Guess we know three more people who might be transferring.

This is a total shit show at this point I'm convinced Hubert has lost control of the program. He is lost and his decision-making is going to set us back years, when some finally figures out they shouldn't have hired him. The worst thing that could have happened to this program was him getting lucky and making it to the NC game.

Like I said in another message this is a Is paradox that Hubert can't avoid or talk out of. If he allowed the team to vote that a poor decision because he has to be the leader, and if he make the decision he is a quitter. Either way all signs point to him!

There is no Roy to bail us out this time!

This is a total shit show at this point I'm convinced Hubert has lost control of the program. He is lost and his decision-making is going to set us back years, when some finally figures out they shouldn't have hired him. The worst thing that could have happened to this program was him getting lucky and making it to the NC game.

Like I said in another message this is a Is paradox that Hubert can't avoid or talk out of. If he allowed the team to vote that a poor decision because he has to be the leader, and if he make the decision he is a quitter. Either way all signs point to him!

There is no Roy to bail us out this time!
Those quotes from the parents make me think Love, Puff and Dunn are all gone. If not, it's going to be super awkward for them when practice starts.

Who will be left??? lol

Is Bacot coming back?

RJ Davis
Seth Trimble
Jalen Washington
Don't know about Bacot. Probably best for him to go, but from what I understand he's making more money here than he would as a pro. I'm thinking Davis stays. I have zero information, just think he's the type that would stay. Who knows with the other two. Probably depends on who Hubert brings in from the portal.

of course it's the coach who decides and I didn't say anything to indicate otherwise. But any player can express his mindset to the coach and the coach can of course take that into account. We know how much of all this is mental, and if a player lacks confidence, he probably won't perform as well as he could. On the other hand, if a player has gained enough confidence to ask for a greater offensive role, and he has demonstrated the ability, there's a good chance that setting him loose a little will pay dividends.

If I'm reading between the lines, I see Leaky as having wanted to bust out a little and Davis thinking it might be beneficial to the team for him to do so. For my part, I wish he had been pushed to do so earlier.

For all I know, Davis might have set a record for coaching mistakes, but the scenario I describe wouldn't necessarily be one of them.

i’d wager hd’s coaching career at carolina is at stake with this off-season…it’s the right decision not to play and the right decision for some to go…i believe rj and mando are staying.

i don’t understand why nickel would consider vcu considering the way they play, but that other prong in play does strange things to man. 🤦🏼‍♂️

I don't think Hubert should be fired over this, but when he's evaluated in the next year or two, this should definitely go down in the con column. I'm guessing just getting into the tournament next year will be enough, but he'll have to have a really good season the year after next.

Reactions: dadika13
I don't think Hubert should be fired over this, but when he's evaluated in the next year or two, this should definitely go down in the con column. I'm guessing just getting into the tournament next year will be enough, but he'll have to have a really good season the year after next.
His messaging is terrible.

Reactions: tarheel0910

I completely agree. He needs to do something big in 2024 - one of the following:
- win ACC reg season championship
- win ACC tournament championship
- make the Final Four

I completely agree. He needs to do something big in 2024 - one of the following:
- win ACC reg season championship
- win ACC tournament championship
- make the Final Four
Yeah, I guess the positive here is that if he can't show serious signs of life with the 2024 class that he recruited then we will definitely know he's not the guy.

It'd be similar to Doh when he had the awesome freshman class come in (Felton, May, McCants) and we still sucked that season.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT