ADVERTISEMENT

Which Transfers Should WE Be Looking At? If Any.

I keep reading who we should "take" as if we are strolling down a shopping isle and have the ability to get whomever we choose. Let's not forget there are 351(?) other schools also shopping at the same time.

For example, I'd love to have Garcia from Marquette but, given the Kessler scenerio, who is to say he'd choose us? If I were recruiting against us I think the slam on us would be pretty clear.

Most of us would leave our wives, children and jobs after the first phone call expressing interest but the kids are basically just re-opening their recruitment.

Faith in Roy and UNC. We'll be fine and all the pants shitters will find something to panic about no matter how great things are going.

Fortunately, it is only this one year where it's wide open for transferring. And I sure as hell hope the NCAA doesn't make it the rule rather than the exception. What a cluster.

This year (COVID) gives them an extra year of eligibility, but I believe there is a new proposed rule change that would allow a kid to transfer one time during his career with no penalty (sitting out a year), so the transfer portal will be more readily available as an option moving forward.

Tanner and Jacob Groves from Eastern Washington top my wish list. I watched them combine for 58 points against Kansas last Saturday

We had a really bad year, followed by a disappointing year.

I'm sure the Carolina brand can withstand that. The question is whether Roy's ability to attract good players has taken a hit. This year's transfer market will be the first clue.

We don't have anyone in the top 50 in the incoming class. But that could just be the normal ups and downs of the recruiting biz.

A couple of good catches from the transfer pool would be reassuring. And if those transfers actually perform well at UNC, that would be even more reassuring.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
This year (COVID) gives them an extra year of eligibility, but I believe there is a new proposed rule change that would allow a kid to transfer one time during his career with no penalty (sitting out a year), so the transfer portal will be more readily available as an option moving forward.

It's a mess right now, but I think it will be a good thing, on balance, when the dust settles.

It's like letting kids enter the draft direct from HS. The first year that happens is likely to be a roller coaster. After that it should settle into the new normal.

Some coaches will have a hard time adjusting. Would Roy fall in that category?

I doubt too many UNC players will pull a Kessler. Which is to say that kids who weren't OAD, but were almost a lock to be a 1st round pick as a soph aren't likely to jump ship. I mean why choose to learn a new system when you have a solid head start on the current one? Unless there are other things going on.

It's the next tier kids you have to worry about. The kids who are good, but didn't get a lot of PT, and don't see a starting position in their immediate future. I suspect those kids are the most likely to take advantage of the one-time transfer rule. And frankly, I think that's reasonable.

JMHO

I keep reading who we should "take" as if we are strolling down a shopping isle and have the ability to get whomever we choose. Let's not forget there are 351(?) other schools also shopping at the same time.

For example, I'd love to have Garcia from Marquette but, given the Kessler scenerio, who is to say he'd choose us? If I were recruiting against us I think the slam on us would be pretty clear.
Good observations.

We don't have anyone in the top 50 in the incoming class. But that could just be the normal ups and downs of the recruiting biz.
The top 20-50 in a recruiting class are merely the latest round of OAD players that are only playing in college because they have no other choice. They're not college basketball players!

goldwire transferring ?? any word ...... im surprised pinebutt baker hasnt entered the transfer portal

If TJD or Garcia are willing to come I think either 1 are home runs.
TJD if Bacot leaves, he really doesn't score beyond 5 feet. Very quick and athletic, but not what the coaches have been telling the returning players about more room to drive if both he and Bacot are there. I think the IU guys for the most part are willing to give the next coach a valud opportunity to recruit them back from what I am hearing. I live in Indiana.

I think TJD would be of interest if Bacot moves on. If he stays I don't think he would consider UNC much as the skill sets are redundant.

They may be open, but it looks like an uphill battle for the new coach. Not a lot of positive vibes around that program at the moment. He would have to really make a strong impression, whoever they end up with.

Do we think UNC or Duke will ever take another's player as a transfer?
giphy.gif

Here is the latest in the UNC soap opera that I'm seeing fron several places. Just passing on and making some comments.

Kellan Grady (6-5) is on the clock. He played for Davidson last year. He is more of a 2/3. See the YouTube clip below.

I keep hearing Garcia's name even though he has not put his name in the Transfer Portal. Mitchell is also a stretch 4 option.

How about a starting line-up of:

Love/RJ
Walton/Harris
Grady/Leaky
Garcia/Puff
Bacot/Portal Transfer

One can dream, right..LOL

If Bacot returns he would have space to face up as well as work in the post. Thus, someone like Garcia would obviously allow for that and be a great fit. The other piece that I hear Roy wants is a true 5 to allow Bacot to play some 4 and shoot the jumper more, which he is very capable of doing.

Grady would be eating in to Leaky’s minutes. Hearing that Roy wants 3 shooters around the two bigs with one of the bigs being able to shoot (Garcia/Mitchell). If this is true, all signs are pointing to a reduced role for Leaky.

Hearing also that Roy wants more shooters on the floor. Walton and Grady would likely see the floor together which would mean less minutes for those without that skill set.

In my oprinion, we had the worst guard play that I can ever remember this past season at UNC and the lesson learned is we have to move away from two bigs.

Other then Walton, our outside shooting was pathetic.

Here is the latest in the UNC soap opera that I'm seeing fron several places. Just passing on and making some comments.

Kellan Grady (6-5) is on the clock. He played for Davidson last year. He is more of a 2/3. See the YouTube clip below.

I keep hearing Garcia's name even though he has not put his name in the Transfer Portal. Mitchell is also a stretch 4 option.

How about a starting line-up of:

Love/RJ
Walton/Harris
Grady/Leaky
Garcia/Puff
Bacot/Portal Transfer

One can dream, right..LOL

If Bacot returns he would have space to face up as well as work in the post. Thus, someone like Garcia would obviously allow for that and be a great fit. The other piece that I hear Roy wants is a true 5 to allow Bacot to play some 4 and shoot the jumper more, which he is very capable of doing.

Grady would be eating in to Leaky’s minutes. Hearing that Roy wants 3 shooters around the two bigs with one of the bigs being able to shoot (Garcia/Mitchell). If this is true, all signs are pointing to a reduced role for Leaky.

Hearing also that Roy wants more shooters on the floor. Walton and Grady would likely see the floor together which would mean less minutes for those without that skill set.

In my oprinion, we had the worst guard play that I can ever remember this past season at UNC and the lesson learned is we have to move away from two bigs.

Other then Walton, our outside shooting was pathetic.

With Love back, I don't see Grady being here now. I love the idea of Grady being in the backcourt with one of our pg's. That being said, I think both staying means they believe there is a good chance Roy plans to play them together, if not start both. If Grady comes in and starts with Love and Davis, I am fine with that, BUT that means that both starting wings from last year are now reserves.
That doesn't sound like Roy Williams to me from my years of observation. This would also mean Roy would be putting ALL his eggs in the 2022 basket if he started Love, Grady, Bacot and Garcia
( hopefully) with Davis. The first 4 listed all may be gone after one more year, and that leaves you with Davis and a lot of young returners that were just passed over by two transfers. Not sure how that would work.
I think Grady is out, UNLESS we have another defection from Bkack, Harris or Walton. If I could trade Black for Grady right now I would do it, but that doesn't sound like our HOF coach does it?

Reactions: bobcrane14
With Love back, I don't see Grady being here now. I love the idea of Grady being in the backcourt with one of our pg's. That being said, I think both staying means they believe there is a good chance Roy plans to play them together, if not start both. If Grady comes in and starts with Love and Davis, I am fine with that, BUT that means that both starting wings from last year are now reserves.
That doesn't sound like Roy Williams to me from my years of observation. This would also mean Roy would be putting ALL his eggs in the 2022 basket if he started Love, Grady, Bacot and Garcia
( hopefully) with Davis. The first 4 listed all may be gone after one more year, and that leaves you with Davis and a lot of young returners that were just passed over by two transfers. Not sure how that would work.
I think Grady is out, UNLESS we have another defection from Bkack, Harris or Walton. If I could trade Black for Grady right now I would do it, but that doesn't sound like our HOF coach does it?

You could be right. I'm just passing on information. I think the logic is that you will have Love, Walton and Grady starting together with Leaky coming off the bench. On the surface, I agree that past history dictates that Leaky will start. A stretch 4 (i.e. Garcia) with Bacot will complete the starting 5. It takes two to tangle, thus Garcia and Grady are part of the wish list. Grady already has over 15 offers and "if" Garcia hits the portal he will get at least 15-20 offers. On the other hand, there are over 550 players on the Transfer Portal. If Roy is committed to the concept, he will find some other options. My thoughts are the Heels will not got very far in the NCAA tourney in the future until they get more outside shooters. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
If Grady were to come it would be RJ on the bench. Love, Grady, and Walton would be the 1-2-3. That my friends would be a dream to me!

You could be right. I'm just passing on information. I think the logic is that you will have Love, Walton and Grady starting together with Leaky coming off the bench. On the surface, I agree that past history dictates that Leaky will start. A stretch 4 (i.e. Garcia) with Bacot will complete the starting 5. It takes two to tangle, thus Garcia and Grady are part of the wish list. Grady already has over 15 offers and "if" Garcia hits the portal he will get at least 15-20 offers. On the other hand, there are over 550 players on the Transfer Portal. If Roy is committed to the concept, he will find some other options. My thoughts are the Heels will not got very far in the NCAA tourney in the future until they get more outside shooters. Stay tuned!
Selfishly I want Grady! Just not sure of fit now with Love back. Grady would be our most versatile non big scorer immediately in my opinion.

If Grady were to come it would be RJ on the bench. Love, Grady, and Walton would be the 1-2-3. That my friends would be a dream to me!
Same here, IF Davis is on board being the first reserve guard. I believe we would lose one of Harris, Black (ok by me) or Davis if we get Grady. Davis is a 2-3 year need for us, I don't want to lose him.

Reactions: alabamaheel
No more guards. We will piss somebody off if we bring another guard in. Plus, I think Dunn can be useful next season as a catch and shoot guy. Has enough athletic ability to be a passable defender as a freshman.

PG: Love, Davis, Ant (?)
SG: Walton, Ant, Dunn
SF: Leaky, Walton, Ant, Puff, Styles

We need front court help. Badly. I think we need to bring in at least 2 Bigs, probably 3. We need a stretch 4 to log 25+ mpg and a back up rim protector/rebounder to spell Bacot 10 mpg. Probably another guy for insurance to both front court positions.

If this is true, all signs are pointing to a reduced role for Leaky.
To my eye, if not always in the stats, Leaky has improved some every year. I used to worry about his motor and his shooting. I don't worry about his motor that much any more. Next year could be the year it all comes together.

But we probably shouldn't count on it.

Most of us would leave our wives, children and jobs after the first phone call expressing interest but the kids are basically just re-opening their recruitment.

Faith in Roy and UNC. We'll be fine and all the pants shitters will find something to panic about no matter how great things are going.
Garcia made more 3's in the game at Chapel Hill than Kessler took all season. If Kessler could shoot like Garcia did this past aeason, I find it hard to believe Roy would have nipped it in the bud. Walker Miller would have been playing if he could shoot like Garcia.

No more guards. We will piss somebody off if we bring another guard in. Plus, I think Dunn can be useful next season as a catch and shoot guy. Has enough athletic ability to be a passable defender as a freshman.

PG: Love, Davis, Ant (?)
SG: Walton, Ant, Dunn
SF: Leaky, Walton, Ant, Puff, Styles

We need front court help. Badly. I think we need to bring in at least 2 Bigs, probably 3. We need a stretch 4 to log 25+ mpg and a back up rim protector/rebounder to spell Bacot 10 mpg. Probably another guy for insurance to both front court positions.
No more guards? How many of those guards can really shoot? One? We 100% need at least one shooter.

Davis can shoot, just watch,
Love can shoot & will show a ton of improvement in that area next year,
Dunn will surprise, he can play (& shoot)

We will have plenty more options from distance next year than just Walton.

Yes

For the earlier TJD and others from IU talk, it seems like Mike Woodson is leaving his long time assistant role in the NBA to take the IU gig. We will see how that plays with the kids currently considering their options.

Been awhile, but he did did coach for 9 years as the head man with the Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT