ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Of course when Cadeau reclass happens either Dunn or Trimble probably go portal.
I thought I read somewhere that you have to declare for the portal by May 11 or something like that. Is that correct?

If Cadeau comes - as everyone seems to expect - but wants to play AAU ball though at least Peach Jam, that means he won't announce until early or mid July. Thanks to @DaveChapelle for explaining that to me.

Now obviously if everyone is sure Cadeau is coming, then Dunn and Trimble know that, too. So they'll have to decide if they are staying before May 11, or whenever it really is.

Needless to say, if we really want another PG and Cadeau ends up not reclassifying, we'll probably be watching all the good PG prospects get snapped up by other teams.

I thought I read somewhere that you have to declare for the portal by May 11 or something like that. Is that correct?

If Cadeau comes - as everyone seems to expect - but wants to play AAU ball though at least Peach Jam, that means he won't announce until early or mid July. Thanks to @DaveChapelle for explaining that to me.

Now obviously if everyone is sure Cadeau is coming, then Dunn and Trimble know that, too. So they'll have to decide if they are staying before May 11, or whenever it really is.

Needless to say, if we really want another PG and Cadeau ends up not reclassifying, we'll probably be watching all the good PG prospects get snapped up by other teams.
First, I DO think Cadeau is coming.
I also think there CAN be enough min for all 6 guards IF Hubert commits to a 3 guard offense.
If a Cadeau reclass means Trimble or Dunn want to leave, then I think they would have entered portal by now.
I really think the question is if Hubert goes after a true wing player to stsrt at the 3. If he does this, then I don't believe he is committed to the 3 guard offense. So instead of 6 players for 3 spots, the guards then have to fight over 2 spots and maybe scrap min at SF.
I Think one of Dunn or Trimble would be gone for sure if this happens.
Adding Ingram would not be this scenario in my opinion, as I think Ingram would be our starting 4 with Withers his backup. But adding a true Small forward and starting Withers would force another portal move by a current Heel. Likely DeMarco Dunn.

Isn't the logical conclusion of profit sharing that many players will gravitate to where they can get the most profit? Even if you had it disbursed by schools based on some sort of performance metric or gate/TV revenue, the effect would be similar.

I am strongly in favor of this, to be clear. It seems a natural result though, and I think it helps us (we led the NCAA in attendance in basketball this year). Do you think Cadeau + Jackson are anticipating much less income at Carolina than what they could get at other schools? I doubt it.
It has been a for profit multi billion dollar industry for an awful long time. The players did not make it about the money. Once it is, the ones performing are damn sure equally eligible to get market value.

I am sitting here in Arkansas watching Muss treat the portal like his personal player shopping center. Rumor mill is REALLY strong that he is not done and that Hunter D is a strong possibility. The aggressive approach by Muss and the seemingly passive approach by HD really has me concerned. To be honest it showed itself in game management and approach this past year. I still trust HD and believe that he has a plan but man....I am getting antsy to be honest with you! Feeling like it is February again!

It has been a for profit multi billion dollar industry for an awful long time. The players did not make it about the money. Once it is, the ones performing are damn sure equally eligible to get market value.
I agree. But my concern is that instead of making life better for the livestock, we've outsourced their care to the wolves.

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ND transfer SG Cormac Ryan visiting Chapel Hill today. He averaged 12.3 points and shot 34.4% from 3.
Another guard is an interesting move. Maybe Hubert is finally showing us what type of offense he's looking to run. The no forward offense.

Reactions: Sk1310
Another guard is an interesting move. Maybe Hubert is finally showing us what type of offense he's looking to run. The no forward offense.

He seems like he can guard SG and SF, ND's best on ball defender. If Hubert lands Ingram, the starting 5 would probably be

Bacot
Ingram
Ryan
Davis
Cadeau

He seems like he can guard SG and SF, ND's best on ball defender. If Hubert lands Ingram, the starting 5 would probably be

Bacot
Ingram
Ryan
Davis
Cadeau
Is he that good of a defender? That would make his addition pretty useful. He'd be an offensive upgrade at the 2, but didn't know how well he can defend.

We still need an infusion of athleticism and length I think. If we get Ingram + Ryan though we're getting close.

I pray that Ryan and the other three-star kid are in either/or type of option. If we took both plus Wojik, it would seem very redundant given our other pressing needs. That being said, I like Cormack Ryan and his game. He was always the type of guy that would be a thorn in UNC side. With him and RJ on either side plus a player like Ingram at the four, imagine the space Bacot would have to work with on the interior and the driving lanes it would create.

I'm getting a warmer feeling than I had last week. 🤞

I pray that Ryan and the other three-star kid are in either/or type of option. If we took both plus Wojik, it would seem very redundant given our other pressing needs. That being said, I like Cormack Ryan and his game. He was always the type of guy that would be a thorn in UNC side. With him and RJ on either side plus a player like Ingram at the four, imagine the space Bacot would have to work with on the interior and the driving lanes it would create.

I'm getting a warmer feeling than I had last week. 🤞
Dunlap is a guy you hope contributes in '25-'26. Ryan is a one year player. They don't seem redundant to me.

Dunlap is a guy you hope contributes in '25-'26. Ryan is a one year player. They don't seem redundant to me.
Dunlap is the guy you offered bc you were missing on better players at a position of need, but is likely to get recruited over year after year until he transfers out having never contributed. Like Brandan Huffman.

Or maybe he's just the guy the staff is using to force urgency on a recruit like Cormac Ryan. "We're only going to take one of you, so you have until his visit on April 30th and then you may lose your spot."

One thing notable about Dunlap is the interview he gave a month ago. He talked about all the college coaches recruiting him and how they suddenly stopped calling. He'd get on Twitter and learn they had taken transfers instead. Hopefully that's his future with UNC too.

We still need to keep 2 scholarships open until Cadeau & Jackson decide, or risk losing them to another school in 2023. We still need impact forwards on our roster. We don't have enough scholarships left currently to waste one on Dunlap and also take Ryan.

Ryan and Wojcik are definitely redundant though.
Ryan is substantially better than Wojcik I think. Bartorvik has Ryan projected for a 113 O-rating at 18% usage with UNC, vs Wojcik at 110 with 16% usage. Ryan is also supposedly significantly better as a defender.

I think Wojcik is just a solid reserve with intangibles who'll be happy with 5-10 minutes off the bench bc playing at UNC + in the tournament is his dream. We took him because we wanted a guy who would be okay with that role and could at least bring some shooting if called upon. Ryan is a guy we may start.

Dunlap is the guy you offered bc you were missing on better players at a position of need, but is likely to get recruited over year after year until he transfers out having never contributed. Like Brandan Huffman.

Or maybe he's just the guy the staff is using to force urgency on a recruit like Cormac Ryan. "We're only going to take one of you, so you have until his visit on April 30th and then you may lose your spot."

One thing notable about Dunlap is the interview he gave a month ago. He talked about all the college coaches recruiting him and how they suddenly stopped calling. He'd get on Twitter and learn they had taken transfers instead. Hopefully that's his future with UNC too.

We still need to keep 2 scholarships open until Cadeau & Jackson decide, or risk losing them to another school in 2023. We still need impact forwards on our roster. We don't have enough scholarships left currently to waste one on Dunlap and also take Ryan.
Dunlap is not the guy offered "bc you were missing on better players at a position of need". Not sure why this is complicated. He's someone who doesn't contribute for 2-3 years. His offer has no correlation with transfers.

You said "how dare you" because I compared Dunlap to Luke Maye; the situations are very similar though. Both are ranked below #100, not expected to contribute as freshman, and you take if you believe in their long term trajectory and they're okay with a low minute role for 1-2 years. Not saying Dunlap will turn out as good as Maye; he probably won't as Maye was awesome, but the thought process is the same. If Hubert strongly believes in Dunlaps long-term potential it makes sense as an offer.

And here's a potential roster:

Guards: Cadeau, RJ, Ryan, Wilcher, Trimble, Dunn
Wings: Ingram, Withers, Wojcik, Dunlap
Bigs: Bacot, Washington, High

That's 13 guys with Ryan, Dunlap, Ingram, and Cadeau. I agree we're one wing short in that scenario, but frankly we're likely looking at one of Trimble / Dunn transferring out if we add all these guards. So likely the scholarship count is not an issue.

Matthew Cleavland from Florida State? TOS reporting the Heels are interested.
6-7, 200lb, averaged 13.8pts and 7.4 reb.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Ryan is substantially better than Wojcik I think. Bartorvik has Ryan projected for a 113 O-rating at 18% usage with UNC, vs Wojcik at 110 with 16% usage. Ryan is also supposedly significantly better as a defender.

I think Wojcik is just a solid reserve with intangibles who'll be happy with 5-10 minutes off the bench bc playing at UNC + in the tournament is his dream. We took him because we wanted a guy who would be okay with that role and could at least bring some shooting if called upon. Ryan is a guy we may start.

Dunlap is not the guy offered "bc you were missing on better players at a position of need". Not sure why this is complicated. He's someone who doesn't contribute for 2-3 years. His offer has no correlation with transfers.

You said "how dare you" because I compared Dunlap to Luke Maye; the situations are very similar though. Both are ranked below #100, not expected to contribute as freshman, and you take if you believe in their long term trajectory and they're okay with a low minute role for 1-2 years. Not saying Dunlap will turn out as good as Maye; he probably won't as Maye was awesome, but the thought process is the same. If Hubert strongly believes in Dunlaps long-term potential it makes sense as an offer.

And here's a potential roster:

Guards: Cadeau, RJ, Ryan, Wilcher, Trimble, Dunn
Wings: Ingram, Withers, Wojcik, Dunlap
Bigs: Bacot, Washington, High

That's 13 guys with Ryan, Dunlap, Ingram, and Cadeau. I agree we're one wing short in that scenario, but frankly we're likely looking at one of Trimble / Dunn transferring out if we add all these guards. So likely the scholarship count is not an issue.
"Dunlap is not the guy offered "bc you were missing on better players at a position of need". Not sure why this is complicated. He's someone who doesn't contribute for 2-3 years. His offer has no correlation with transfers." FACTS, not sure why this is so hard to understand?

WE are actually not in a scholarship crunch, certainly not to the point where we should worry about granting a 13th scholarship to a kid like this. You take a flyer on him, you could strike gold or you could swing and miss and he transfers out. With the way the portal is now working, the days of UNC being in a scholarship crunch may be over, like it or not. This is not the days of Dean or Roy where we could bring in a kid and he not produce yet occupy a scholarship for 4yrs or did Shaver not enter the portal, did McKoy not do the same? What we are at worst talking about with this Dunlap kid is maybe he is the last on the bench with a scholly, so what, we will never have the need to go 13 deep, there is zero down side to bringing him in for UNC. I don't get the hand wringing or the shade being thrown at the kid.

Cleveland is interesting, from a couple perspectives, I like his length at 6'7" & 200lbs and I like that he is what, a soph, so 2yrs eligibility remain. He can shoot some, not sure if right now I see him as much the shooter I want at that position to start but who knows if he shoots better next season, his shooting stats did dramatically increase from his frosh to soph seasons at FSU.

For me he definitely is not as much a fit to need as Ingram or even Mgbako but if we get neither of those guys maybe this kid fits as well as what is available. He does have good size for a wing. My concern is that I just think it is really important to have a solid jump shooter at the 3, even if it costs us some on the defensive end we have to get solid scoring production out of the 3 and 4 spots. I do think Withers and Jalen can give us that out of the 4 spot but could Wojik and Cleveland give us that out of the 3, Ingram could but Cleveland and Woj, I just am not sure.

I don't get the hand wringing or the shade being thrown at the kid.
I agree. I think the real concern is that we aren't snapping up guys like Ingram and Knecht.

I'm a little concerned when I think that even those guys aren't exactly perfect, either. Don't get me wrong, I'd take either one, but they don't tick all the boxes I want to tick.

I mean Ingram looks pretty perfect, except we need better outside shooters. He's not embarrassing from deep, but is just OK. He fits the bill of being able to move to PF and does other things, so we'd like to have him - and he'd absolutely start. But we still need outside shooters to spread the floor and help Armando.

Knecht shoots better from deep, but he's nobody's PF. I'd add him in a heartbeat, but we might need another backup at PF. Unlike some here, I expect Withers to start and be good for us at PF. But we have too many question marks to leave the front line up to Armando, Washington High and Withers. Plus, I felt the same way about Pete . . . So . . . Another big please.

At 6'5, Cormac Ryan might end up starting at SF for us, but that's only if we are forced to play a 3-guard offense. And there's no way he slides to the 4. As we have agreed before, it would be great to have a strong 3-guard option - but it's not so great if that's all you have.

If you are Cormac Ryan, do you want to play SF? Obviously he can play either wing, but in his shoes would you rather be a 6'5 SG or a 6'5 SF? If the SF gig doesn't work out, how sure are you that you'll start ahead of Wilcher (or Jackson, if he also reclassifies)?

I agree. I think the real concern is that we aren't snapping up guys like Ingram and Knecht.

I'm a little concerned when I think that even those guys aren't exactly perfect, either. Don't get me wrong, I'd take either one, but they don't tick all the boxes I want to tick.

I mean Ingram looks pretty perfect, except we need better outside shooters. He's not embarrassing from deep, but is just OK. He fits the bill of being able to move to PF and does other things, so we'd like to have him - and he'd absolutely start. But we still need outside shooters to spread the floor and help Armando.

Knecht shoots better from deep, but he's nobody's PF. I'd add him in a heartbeat, but we might need another backup at PF. Unlike some here, I expect Withers to start and be good for us at PF. But we have too many question marks to leave the front line up to Armando, Washington High and Withers. Plus, I felt the same way about Pete . . . So . . . Another big please.

At 6'5, Cormac Ryan might end up starting at SF for us, but that's only if we are forced to play a 3-guard offense. And there's no way he slides to the 4. As we have agreed before, it would be great to have a strong 3-guard option - but it's not so great if that's all you have.

If you are Cormac Ryan, do you want to play SF? Obviously he can play either wing, but in his shoes would you rather be a 6'5 SG or a 6'5 SF? If the SF gig doesn't work out, how sure are you that you'll start ahead of Wilcher (or Jackson, if he also reclassifies)?
It seems pretty clear to me that the plan is not for Withers to start. Otherwise we wouldn't be recruiting Ingram / Cleveland. All three are best suited to the 4 in our offense; none is quick enough to guard the guys Leaky often guarded. I think Withers is the first man off the bench, spelling our 3-4-5 spots as a versatile shooter.

Adding both Ryan and Cadeau is an interesting conundrum. Would imagine both of them picture themselves as starters. I think you could do 32/30/25 minutes distribution for them plus Davis with all three on the court for 6-7 minutes a game and keep everyone happy.

I still think we're recruiting a starting 3 that we haven't heard about yet - potentially a guy with his name in the draft. The only 3 we've been linked to is Knecht, but seems unlikely. I think you need someone who's a pretty athletic 3 if you're starting a mix of Davis/Bacot/Ryan/Ingram. None of those guys is a high-end ACC athlete.

It seems pretty clear to me that the plan is not for Withers to start. Otherwise we wouldn't be recruiting Ingram / Cleveland. All three are best suited to the 4 in our offense; none is quick enough to guard the guys Leaky often guarded. I think Withers is the first man off the bench, spelling our 3-4-5 spots as a versatile shooter.

Adding both Ryan and Cadeau is an interesting conundrum. Would imagine both of them picture themselves as starters. I think you could do 32/30/25 minutes distribution for them plus Davis with all three on the court for 6-7 minutes a game and keep everyone happy.

I still think we're recruiting a starting 3 that we haven't heard about yet - potentially a guy with his name in the draft. The only 3 we've been linked to is Knecht, but seems unlikely. I think you need someone who's a pretty athletic 3 if you're starting a mix of Davis/Bacot/Ryan/Ingram. None of those guys is a high-end ACC athlete.
Agree with a lot of this but, dude you knew there was gonna be a but! LOL I do very much see Withers as a starter and really, about the only thing i could see that would dissuade me of that would be Jalen having a GREAT off season, goes in to next season 10-15lbs heavier and show us what was considered to be his path before he got that knee injury. Honest as I can be, I so sincerely hope Jalen is able to do that, I just am not willing right now to bet that he will, I know he can but there is a lot of difference between can and will, most especially for a kid coming off the knee issues he has.

Let me blow up one thing that has been floated out there, Withers is a 4, Withers is NOT a 3, feel like I need tro say that again, Withers is simply NOT a 3, Withers was not recruited to UNC to be a 3, so would folks PLEASE stop with the Withers could be a 3 nonsense? Kid is a power forward that can shoot from range when he has a clean look, he is NOT Ingram nor Mgbako! But I do think he is on the cusp of being a break out player and I do think he is in a GREAT position to do just that playing beside Bacot as a stretch 4. I personally think Withers starts for us at the 4 next season, we need a 3 that is a knock down jump shooter that also brings other good attributes.

Are we going after Cleveland? I think he's worth a look, so I'm OK with that if we are.

That said, is he a good fit? He's 6'7 200. Fine for a SF, but maybe light for PF? I don't know. Maybe he has the necessary toughness.

While Cleveland shot well enough from deep as a soph (35%), he only took 60 out of his 353 field goal attempts from distance. That's a third fewer 3pt attempts than Leaky. Plus he's nothing special as a FT shooter. I mean 69% is decent enough, but I think of FT% as a predictor of 3pt% so that's not making me think he's the guy who is going to spread the floor for us.

Ingram is also a question mark as a reliable outside threat. Overall, he looks somewhat better than Cleveland, mainly because he's 30 pounds of muscle stronger. He would start at SF for me, but that power makes him sound much better for sliding to the PF. With Ingram on board, I don't think we need to find another PF.

Until I hear otherwise, I assume we aren't getting Ingram. And unless I hear bad things about Cleveland, I won't mind adding him to our roster. He might even start. But I don't think adding him means we can stop looking for another PF.

Reactions: Archer2
It's a shame that UNC won't get Mgbako. That would have been great to rekindle the rivalry with the dookies. As it is now, UNC won the rivalry. A controversial move like landing one of their big-time recruits would have helped to breathe life back into it.

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Reactions: gauchoheel
It's a shame that UNC won't get Mgbako. That would have been great to rekindle the rivalry with the dookies. As it is now, UNC won the rivalry. A controversial move like landing one of their big-time recruits would have helped to breathe life back into it.

Wishful thinking, I guess.
The rivalry isn't over, we just have a big lead. If we can still find a way to have a rivalry with moo, then we can find a reason to have one with duke.

Reactions: Archer2
As it is now, UNC won the rivalry.
All I know is they beat us twice last year- us beating them at HIS for K's last home game and sending him packing his last game: that was great but it hardly "won the rivalry" unless you are wearing permanent Carolina blue tinted contacts.

Agree with a lot of this but, dude you knew there was gonna be a but! LOL I do very much see Withers as a starter and really, about the only thing i could see that would dissuade me of that would be Jalen having a GREAT off season, goes in to next season 10-15lbs heavier and show us what was considered to be his path before he got that knee injury. Honest as I can be, I so sincerely hope Jalen is able to do that, I just am not willing right now to bet that he will, I know he can but there is a lot of difference between can and will, most especially for a kid coming off the knee issues he has.

Let me blow up one thing that has been floated out there, Withers is a 4, Withers is NOT a 3, feel like I need tro say that again, Withers is simply NOT a 3, Withers was not recruited to UNC to be a 3, so would folks PLEASE stop with the Withers could be a 3 nonsense? Kid is a power forward that can shoot from range when he has a clean look, he is NOT Ingram nor Mgbako! But I do think he is on the cusp of being a break out player and I do think he is in a GREAT position to do just that playing beside Bacot as a stretch 4. I personally think Withers starts for us at the 4 next season, we need a 3 that is a knock down jump shooter that also brings other good attributes.
I never said Withers was a three -- in fact I specifically said he was best suited to the four. I said he can spell the three: e.g., if we get Ingram / Cleveland I think they start at the four, but can slide down to the three when Withers checks in. Hence Withers can sub in for our 3-4-5 spots.

I disagree that Hubert intends to start Withers. That may be the backup plan but we are recruiting Ingram and Cleveland, who are also best suited to the 4 (neither is a great shooter nor perimeter defender). If we miss on our targets, then yes Withers starts. I'll be pretty concerned in that scenario though.

Are we going after Cleveland? I think he's worth a look, so I'm OK with that if we are.

That said, is he a good fit? He's 6'7 200. Fine for a SF, but maybe light for PF? I don't know. Maybe he has the necessary toughness.

While Cleveland shot well enough from deep as a soph (35%), he only took 60 out of his 353 field goal attempts from distance. That's a third fewer 3pt attempts than Leaky. Plus he's nothing special as a FT shooter. I mean 69% is decent enough, but I think of FT% as a predictor of 3pt% so that's not making me think he's the guy who is going to spread the floor for us.

Ingram is also a question mark as a reliable outside threat. Overall, he looks somewhat better than Cleveland, mainly because he's 30 pounds of muscle stronger. He would start at SF for me, but that power makes him sound much better for sliding to the PF. With Ingram on board, I don't think we need to find another PF.

Until I hear otherwise, I assume we aren't getting Ingram. And unless I hear bad things about Cleveland, I won't mind adding him to our roster. He might even start. But I don't think adding him means we can stop looking for another PF.
Yes according to TOS. Working on setting up a visit. I think it's Ingram as the top 4 starter target with Cleveland as the backup plan -- we likely won't take both. Withers is the starter if we miss on everybody, but it's unlikely. There are more options being considered beyond those two as well.

The rivalry isn't over, we just have a big lead. If we can still find a way to have a rivalry with moo, then we can find a reason to have one with duke.
Yeah... But, it's nowhere near the same thing. Without coach K, it's just not the same. And, UNC literally ended his career in a way that, in my opinion, ended the rivalry.

It will still get hyped up. But, it's not the same. Two very likable coaches. It lacks the intensity. But a controversial switch of a big-time recruit to the opposition would have really helped. But he's not coming so it doesn't matter.

I completely agree.

We need another PF - just in case you and I (and AJ and Fisk and a bunch more) are being overly-optimistic on Withers, but we don't need a starter.

We absolutely need a SF who can knock it down from deep. And if he is strong enough to give good minutes at PF, too, that seals the deal. Of the guys we've looked at, Knecht seems most reliable from deep and he's a fighter, but he's not PF. Ingram has the strength to play PF, but is short to start there, and he's not really the high level outside threat we need. More of a "keep them honest" threat.

I wish we could get both Ingram and Knecht. Knecht can play either wing, Ingram can play SF and PF, so both would get starter minutes.

Two problems with that scenario. First, it looks like neither is coming. Second, that almost certainly forces someone (or 2) into the portal. And, frankly, I don't want to lose any of our remaining players.

Cormac Ryan, Matthew Cleveland (and a backup PF) might do the trick. Or might leave us with inadequate outside shooting. Hard to know. But I think both would be good additions if they are interested.

I never said Withers was a three
I don't think that was aimed at you. A few people have penciled him in as a 3 on their roster guesses. I agree with @DSouthr that he isn't but that isn't to say he couldn't slide into the SF spot if, say, Washington or High are able to give us good minutes up front, and we are otherwise stuck with scrawny short guys playing SF.

We'll probably get a chance to find out.

Yeah... But, it's nowhere near the same thing. Without coach K, it's just not the same. And, UNC literally ended his career in a way that, in my opinion, ended the rivalry.

It will still get hyped up. But, it's not the same. Two very likable coaches. It lacks the intensity. But a controversial switch of a big-time recruit to the opposition would have really helped. But he's not coming so it doesn't matter.
I'm guessing you are in a very small minority about how you feel. We're rivals with moo for no big reason and for some reason people feel the need to hold up WF as a rival. duke can't fall below that regardless of how big those wins were. They'll always be a rival if for no other reason than everyone has to have one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT